Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Low Tire Pressure"

31K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 ·
My dash light came on and the info said "LOW TIRE PRESSURE" The only one that was below 30 was the RF (passenger front I am assuming) which was at 23. So I put 10 in and turned the car back on but the dummy light was still on and the pressure hadn't changed from 23. Am I doing something wrong here, does it need to be reset or something?

#3 ·
I have to agree with TSquare as the most likely cause of your problem. I had the same problem after I had the tires rotated.

Did you measure the pressure of all of the tires with a separate pressure gauge?

This built in system is not an excuse to get rid of your good old pocket type tire pressure gauge.

#6 ·
This built in system is not an excuse to get rid of your good old pocket type tire pressure gauge.
+1

The digital ones are the best; under $10 at a lot of places.

IF you did check it with an external gauge......then it seems like I remember that it might have to be driven for a few minutes for the reading to "catch up".

If you did NOT do that, then you might have one tire that is 10 OVER now.

#4 ·
If it is in the wrong location it will just show up as --, assuming that you have the TPMS that shows the pressure in each individual tire. Once you pair it up, it only works with that sensor until you redo the sensor locations.

#5 · (Edited)
If it is in the wrong location it will just show up as --, assuming that you have the TPMS that shows the pressure in each individual tire.
Not true on my 2010. The TPMS is not smart enough to know if the tire has been relocated & continues to display as if it were in the original location. I just marked the original wheel location on the wheel itself & never update the TPMS locations. My local tire store rotates for free but charges to update the TPMS. Hopefully, some day they'll build-in wheel tracking to that system.

#7 ·
The sensors in the wheels have a radio transmitter that sends the pressure data to a common receiver (the same receiver the key fobs use). The sensors have a built in battery and to save the battery life the data is only transmitted when a 1 psi change is detected in a 30 second period or once a minute when traveling over 7 mph. These sensors also have a unique id code that they also transmit with the pressure data and the pairing process matches this id with the wheels location.

The estimated battery life of the original factory sensors is 10 years or 150.000 miles.

#8 ·
@tomx20, are you receiving any other messages on your DIC? Something like the SVC Tire Monitor?

On page 5-61 of the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu owner's manual is the section that you can read about TPMS Sensor Matching Process. Ultimately, to have the process completed your vehicle will have to be taken to the dealership as stated in the owner's manual.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.