Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

10-second Malibu

16K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Arkainzeye 
#1 ·
I've decided for myself that I am going to have a 10-second car. Follow my thinking here and I think some more of you will want their own 10-second car.

When I'm in the drive-thru it never fails that there's someone in front of me who takes a long time, whether it's their indecision or the order-taker not being ready to listen.

So at least once a day when I'm in a line waiting, I'm going to turn off my engine for at least 10 seconds. And I might get the chance to do it more than once day.

Anyone else want to start a trend toward having 10-second cars? Come on, it's easy and costs nothing. Heck, it might even save ya a few cents!

:)

#2 ·
I like your thinking, that's a hypermilers trick to save mileage on trips. They even do it at stoplights, sometimes. I'll run my first tank like normal, then I'll do this whenever possible on my second tank, and report back with data. Sound good?

#3 ·
Me and the wife already do this almost every time we drive the Malibu. It's very easy since the car shuts itself off at a stop.

#8 ·
Yep, I chose that title on purpose. Dare I say "made ya look"? ;)

#9 ·
I totally forgot about this, lol. I think I'm just gonna stick with my normal mileage. It's already heaps better than my Silverado was.

#10 ·
HA, as soon as I read the title my first thought was "Yeah, maybe in the 1/8th".

#13 ·
The 2014 2.5l with auto stop/start has a heavy duty starter.

The 2013 and 2014 Eco with the 2.4l does not use the starter to start the car back up when it auto starts, it uses an electric motor/generator to spin up the engine instantaneously. It still uses a regular starter when you use the key to start the car however.

Reactions: chevyorange
#16 ·
I still find it a technical marvel that I drive a car that can stop the engine with smart tech at Top Dead Center every time, and bump start itself via the generator seamlessly and noiselessly. It is a long way from a 1962 Biscayne two door. Which was close to a 10-second car in the other meaning of the term!

#21 ·
Lmao, you didn't read DrivenDaily's first post in this thread before you posted, did you?

Besides, take a V6, gut the interior, remove everything from the trunk and maybe the trunk's floor pan, put some ridiculously small wheels and tires to lower the final drive ratio, and you could probably squeeze a respectable time out of it..... I think.

#24 ·
With the kind of mods needed to get "a respectable time" out of this car I would want it to blow up! ;)

#26 ·
@rodhotter speaks highly of using an LSD, especially on FWD. I'd love to have one in mine but it's not a necessity in my life so I'll save the money and "run what ya brung".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.