Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Bad rear wheel bearings

146K views 284 replies 98 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Car: 2013 Malibu LTZ. Problem: We started noticing a steady drone which increased and decreased with vehicle speed. It didn't change with engine rpm or whether the A/C was on or off, etc. I immediately suspected wheel bearings, but what practically new car has the wheel bearings go out at 20,000 miles? Well, the answer is: this one. It was covered under warranty, but nevertheless, BOTH rear wheel bearings had to be replaced. I've had cars go over 200,000 miles without having to replace a wheel bearing. What's up with that? Anybody else have this problem?
kjhansen
p.s. accidently posted this to the "general" forum too. Belongs here.

#28 ·
kjhansen, that's a whole lot of grief for so few miles. A warranty that covers all the issues hardly covers your discontent and inconvenience. I can honestly say that my last two vehicles prior to this one NEVER visited the dealer after I drove them off the lot.
I've now had the other hub replaced. The rep asked if they'd done the fronts yet and and I said no. He chuckled and said, well, see you 10-15k miles. Good grief. To his credit it's the first time I've heard them "admit" there's a problem. In the meantime snooping other cars.

#29 ·
The rep asked if they'd done the fronts yet and and I said no. He chuckled and said, well, see you 10-15k miles.
Sounds like a supplier has hung GM out to dry on the parts for that application.
That's a shame, both for GM and for us as customers.

I'd love to know who the supplier for those bad bearings is. As I understand it,
the supplier gets to make good on the bad parts by replacing them, but I
don't know if that includes paying a cost to GM for doing the replacements.

Realize that there are a limited number of suppliers for the bearings, so
one of the companies who also is making aftermarket replacement bearings
is responsible for the quality problems on bearings used on the 2013's.

#30 ·
We will probably get an extended service contract on the Regal when (or close to when) the factory warranty expires. It's helped on my other car -- a 2007 Buick Lucerne. Got it through the credit union where I financed the car though. Don't know if they'll sell me one on a car they haven't financed.
Keith

#32 ·
Just had to do the second one myself at 50,000.Right rear was humming and what a pain the thing was corroded in so bad because of 2 different metals and no anti seize from the factory.What is it going to take before GM sez there is a problem with them a wheel flying off and someone getting hurt.Seeing that I did this one myself and have the old one I am going to open it up and see what is going on in there,maybe lack of grease?

#33 ·
I'd certainly be interested in your findings. I'm just waiting for the fronts to start singing. I can't imagine that GM will do anything about this problem. The risk is sufficiently low to person and property to negate the necessity. As someone else noted, pretty pathetic.

#34 ·
I had my rear wheel bearing go on my 13 2lt at around 50 000 kms...they changed both of them under warranty. Expected them to just change one however going to pick up the car they said they did both because they figured they would need to do the other soon. This was great on GM. But what isn't is the fact that wheel bearings have been an issue for me (and everyone else with A GM car) since my 98 Grand Prix. Figured they would have got theyre shit together by now with ther wheel bearing issue but I guess not. This is honestly stearing me away from GM for my next buy.

#35 ·
Well here are my findings...After cutting the bad bearing open it looks to me like either the back side bearings have water coming in through the seal or are over heated.The grease on the inner bearing looks like rust while the outer on still looks good...Hey GM wake up them engineers and take a look at the pics or have the do something and cut one open and look for themselves...Whatever is going on it looks like a manufacturing defect and us Malibu owners should at the very least get a longer warranty on the bearings.:confused::mad:

Attachments

#38 ·
Well here are my findings...After cutting the bad bearing open it looks to me like either the back side bearings have water coming in through the seal or are over heated.The grease on the inner bearing looks like rust while the outer on still looks good...
Thanks for the pictures and the analysis. I appreciate that work very much.

#40 ·
Off my wifes 2013 Malibu with 50,000 miles on it.The car spends most of its time in Virginia where they do not use as much salt to keep the roads clear like they do Here in Ohio.Car is always washed even underneath.Yea kinda surprised me also that at 50,000 miles that the thing was almost seized in the arm and had to beat the crap outta the thing to get it out.

#48 ·
I hear ya when the comments refer to the good old cars and the foreign
makes lasting longer with less maintenance and I agree... I am sure
American brands are always looking to save a buck in a very competitive
car market, however when it comes to wheel bearings, I am hearing a
lot of complaints about replacing them early, especially in the rear because
of noise, could it be that todays Malibus have very quite interiors and we
as owner are just hearing them earlier and responding earlier than we
did in the cars of yesteryear?

I have yet to replace a wheel bearing on the rear of a car and have
only replaced fronts when I hear the clunk-ity-clunk during turns...

(Disclaimer: I am not an expert, and never claimed to be, if I
have an opinion that differs from yours, "relax" please don't get upset)

(Malibu 1LT with Auto-stop/start "build date April 2014")
(Real world MPG "Manual calculation")
(EPA est. (25 mpg city)-speed average 21 mph,)
(EPA est. (36 mpg hwy)-speed average 48 mph)
(50/50 city/hwy-(29 mpg) estimated ave speed 34.5 mph)
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
"Pigs will fly before my Malibu EPA mpg est. becomes reality!"

http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2014-53226-56/2014-chevrolet-lt-1lt-4dr-sedan-real-mpg.html

#45 ·
So I thought it was my tires getting really, really loud as they got a little bit of mileage on them. Good news is my inspection is due soon, I'll have my garage look at them at that time. I'm not used to hearing whining, I'm used to them clicking and squealing (like a stuck brake squeal).

I echo the comments of others...my 275,000 mile Pontiac had only one replacement during its lifetime...crap parts...

#46 ·
I had to replace the left rear bearing at 50,000, the right rear at 65,000, and now at 72,00 one of the wheel sensors for the ABS/Stabilitrack system is bad in the right front, which requires a hub replacement.
To say I'm disappointed in this vehicle would be an understatement. I commute a long way every day, so the actual time between trips to the dealership at those mileages is pretty short. I like the car overall, but I'm ready to go back to a "foreign" brand. I've had a couple of those that went 150,000+ with no issues whatsoever. Based on all of the posts about the same problems on this site alone, GM should be willing to step up and do something to correct the problem. They are going to cost themselves a lot of repeat business.

#49 ·
Hi mastaking,

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your concerns with your Malibu and can understand how frustrating unexpected repairs can be. Are you planning to take your car into the dealership to have this diagnosed? I would like to look into this more. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information and preferred dealer.

I look forward to your response.

Kaylee D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#50 ·
Congratulations mastaking!

That's more than I got when posting complaints about my TWO failed wheel bearings! When I had my car in for second one in the rear the service guy asked if I'd had my fronts done. When I told him no he chuckled and said 'we'll see ya when you need the fronts done". Yeah, he actually said that, so they're well aware of the issue. Good luck!

Joe.

#53 ·
Six pages... Didn't know there would be such response when I posted the first post in this thread. It's obvious that a GM rep is looking at this thread since one responded. It's also obvious that the GM mechanics know about the problem as it's been noted be people on this thread that their GM mechanic knew about it, including the one at my Chevy dealer. Salesmen, on the other hand, will stoutly deny there is a problem. Of course. It's also obvious that the GM bean-counters have decided that it wouldn't be cost effective to do a recall and replace the crappy wheel bearing with good ones. Ah well.
Keith

#54 ·
Add another one to the list.... My 2014 has been making the same noises that joelw's was in the same speed ranges. I'm at around 42k of almost all highway mileage.

If it's the bearings, which after reading this post and joelw's I'm almost positive it is, I'm definitely going to be highly frustrated. I've NEVER had a vehicle that has needed bearings that quickly.

#62 ·
So I meant to follow up on this sooner. Turned out that it was both of my rear bearings. Service Writer at the dealership I went to tried to say it "must have been from the hard winter we had", which I think is a load.....

I only had to pay $100 thanks to the GMPP, but I'm pissed, plain and simple. I haven't to replace the bearings on a single one of my older vehicles and my friends that have were at mileage that far exceeds mine. Hell, my friend has a Cobalt with 180,000 miles that hasn't needed them replaced.

My dad, who is a former GM employee and used to work for Hyatt Bearings, said that there is no way that these should have failed this early.

I got lucky only having to pay $100, but if I had to pay the $900 it would have been without I'd be in trouble. I work hard and bearly get by as is.

I'm going to write some letters and escalate this. My concern is that this is an issue that could become very serious and needs to be addressed, quickly.

#55 ·
Surprise everyone, my whining noise turned out to be both rear hub bearings (40k miles).

Chevrolet has advised me that to do the work it would be 900$ however since I pointed out that a lot of people are having similar issues they will split the cost with me.

I called Chevrolet Customer Experience and they said they would try to reach out to their contact at the dealership. They put me on hold and called. I was standing next to the receptionist when the call came through and she put the person on hold for 10 seconds, didn't page anyone, repicked up the line and said Ed was on a call....

No he wasn't, I walked straight into his office and confronted him. The best they will do is 50%.

My choices are to pay $450 for both rear bearings or to pay $170 for a diagnostic fee and then leave.

I am going to sell this car.

#56 · (Edited)
I have a pang of ethical / morale dilemma with just pawning off / selling my car
that I know has issues... by going this route, are we not any better than Chevy
and the dealers that sold us on our Malibu's??

Yes, I know there is not much else one can do, but it still sticks in my craw!

(Disclaimer: I am not an expert, and never claimed to be, if I have an opinion
that differs from yours, "relax" please don't get upset)

(Malibu 1LT with Auto-stop/start "build date April 2014")
(Real world MPG "Manual calculation")
(EPA est. (25 mpg city)-speed average 21 mph,)
(EPA est. (36 mpg hwy)-speed average 48 mph)
(50/50 city/hwy-(29 mpg) estimated ave speed 34.5 mph)
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
"Pigs will fly before my Malibu EPA mpg est. becomes reality!"

http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2014-53226-56/2014-chevrolet-lt-1lt-4dr-sedan-real-mpg.html

#59 ·
140 each for the bearing hub assy(moog at autozone factory ones proly more) plus labor and shop supplies and tax so I would say 450 is about right to do 2 of them but at 900 the dealers are just bending you over.On a side note they will be putting in the same ones that fail so as I have done I went with the moogs and will see how long they last.....To be cont.upon next failure.:p

#61 ·
Did not see any real difference.But i think your right because a few companies are making them already so they already know they are going to be needed.Not really sure if i would get rid of the car just for this problem being this is the only problem we have had with this car.Once I get Moogs on all four corners she should be good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.