Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center


ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
biff
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu LTZ
red
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Gallery: 0
Default Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

Anyone else experienced tire wear issues with a Malibu?

The first 30k miles on the original LS2's were fine. Since they were garbage in snow and ice I put on Goodyear Tripletreads. Great tires, but they started making noise at 12000 miles, so I had the alignment checked. They got worse until I couldn't take it any more at 30k and but some non-directional tires on. Had alignment checked again, now these tires are also showing odd wear on the outer edge at 12k miles. I rotate every 6K and have had the alignment checked a few times and steering gone through.

Anyone have similar issues? I love the car but I'm thinking of trading it because of this issue - decent tires are expensive.
biff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
redneck70
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite
 
redneck70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 85
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

Since your Malibu is 5 years old with I'm guessing over 72k miles and the original suspension, I would say it's time for new shocks and struts. Most of the time (but not all of the time) tire cupping is caused by worn suspension not an alignment problem. What happens is the shock or strut gets to the point where it is no longer keeps the tire on the road all of the time creating a bounce, and that's where you get the cupping and uneven treadware.
__________________
2009 Black Granite Metallic 2LT 3.6L V6
5% tint on back 5
Assembled at Lake Orion *SOLD*
New ride 2014 Chevy Traverse Crystal Red Tintcoat 2LT AWD
redneck70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
biff
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu LTZ
red
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

Thanks, but if that's the case it would have needed new shocks and struts at 30K.

The tires now with 12K look like I've been cornering hard.
biff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Illinois/North Cent. Florida
Posts: 2,089
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
and but some non-directional tires on. Had alignment checked again, now these tires are also showing odd wear on the outer edge at 12k miles.
What brand/model tires ??

Which wheels are showing the unusual wear ??
And did you notice the same corners having the same wear pattern with the previous set ??

Some tire designs wear "funny". I once had a set that wore the SECOND outside groove more than the rest. Haven't seen anything like that lately though.

What about operating pressures ? You aren't using what's stamped on the side-wall are you ??

And finally, are these stock size tires and rims ?

Last edited by MalibuKen; 04-16-2012 at 08:14 AM.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
08chevymalibultz
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 812
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

The Tripletreds are a high maintenance directional tire! I have rotated mine at every 5000 miles and do a re-balance at the same time.

The biggest Complaint with these tires is Noise, never mind having anyone of them Cupped! I have stated this in the past more than once, Rotate every 5000 miles or less to avoid this issue!

The performance of them are outstanding but do have their down sides, such as Road / tire noise, stiffer ride and yes they are very expensive for this car.

I just recently got a nail in mine on the outer tred were it could not be repaired. I had my crappy Goodyear Eagle LS2 put back on the car since Goodyear did not have the Tripletreds in stock or in their warehouse!

I will wait to the fall time "when they are in stock" to order another Tripletred tire. Sucks on this car with the limited amount of tires available!

The only tire they had available was the LS2 tires, Good thing I had my originals in the garage or I would have been looking to buy 4 new tires or be driving around with an odd/different tire replacement !!
08chevymalibultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
malibu_2010
CMF Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 201
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

In theory, worn suspension causes cupping...That is true. But not all cupping caused by worn suspensions too.
Normally, with directional tires, you need to be very religious with rotations. In many instances even 5K is to many miles to rotate them.
However, directional tires gives you better handling and tracking on the road than others.
malibu_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
09LT2
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
White
 
09LT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 355
Gallery: 0
Garage
Default Re: Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

LS2's always suck and wear bad. The old triple tread was notorious for Noise problems. They are now redesigned to conquer that problem with noise. So the post above needing a new triple tread, it will not match your other 3.
__________________


Mine:
2009 Summit White LT2 3.6L V6
Factory Fog Lights Added


Hers:
2009 Performance Red Metallic Pontiac G6 2.4L 6Spd
Factory Fogs added
Black SPO Upper and Lower Grilles
09LT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
biff
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu LTZ
red
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKen View Post
What brand/model tires ??

Which wheels are showing the unusual wear ??
And did you notice the same corners having the same wear pattern with the previous set ??

Some tire designs wear "funny". I once had a set that wore the SECOND outside groove more than the rest. Haven't seen anything like that lately though.

What about operating pressures ? You aren't using what's stamped on the side-wall are you ??

And finally, are these stock size tires and rims ?
Cooper RS3-A now. The outer edges of the front tires is where it starts. These are at least somewhat even where the triple treads looked scalloped. I rotated them at 5-6K and had enough of the noise by 30K miles.

Stock wheels. Using the tire pressure specified by Chevrolet.
biff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
biff
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu LTZ
red
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08chevymalibultz View Post
The Tripletreds are a high maintenance directional tire! I have rotated mine at every 5000 miles and do a re-balance at the same time.

The biggest Complaint with these tires is Noise, never mind having anyone of them Cupped! I have stated this in the past more than once, Rotate every 5000 miles or less to avoid this issue!

The performance of them are outstanding but do have their down sides, such as Road / tire noise, stiffer ride and yes they are very expensive for this car.

I just recently got a nail in mine on the outer tred were it could not be repaired. I had my crappy Goodyear Eagle LS2 put back on the car since Goodyear did not have the Tripletreds in stock or in their warehouse!

I will wait to the fall time "when they are in stock" to order another Tripletred tire. Sucks on this car with the limited amount of tires available!

The only tire they had available was the LS2 tires, Good thing I had my originals in the garage or I would have been looking to buy 4 new tires or be driving around with an odd/different tire replacement !!
They are great tires, especially in snow and ice. Goodyear did tell me they had a tread compound issue with these tires but they weren't able to determine if my tires were affected. I just wasn't going to try and maintain another set.

I went with the Cooper's since I like my tires to say Made in USA and wasn't excited about other Goodyear options. The RSA-3's ride a bit stiff but they handle wet and dry extremely well, but it is a performance tire. Not too good on snow but I have 2 other 4wd's.
biff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Illinois/North Cent. Florida
Posts: 2,089
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Tire Problems - Cupping and unusual wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Cooper RS3-A now. The outer edges of the front tires is where it starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
but it is a performance tire.
The original pressure recommendation is a good place to start......but when you are changing styles of tires, some deviation might be needed.

Wearing at BOTH outer edges usually is a sign of under-inflation.
You might want to up your cold pressures a few pounds; no more than 4 though. Then again, it could due the the construction of that specific tire.

A scant few tire makers give their own recommended pressures.
It might be worthwhile contacting Cooper.......on the web or otherwise.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unusual 2000 Malibu problem 2000chevymalibu Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generations 5 & 6) 3 11-04-2010 05:11 PM
Unusual overheating Mitch_N Do It Yourself Maintenance (Generation 7) 25 09-10-2010 10:49 PM
Winter tire set up. 86lxjunker Wheels, Tires & Suspension (Generation 7) 2 12-05-2009 01:47 PM
Determining the Age of a Tire alexmadison Do It Yourself Maintenance (Generation 7) 1 11-04-2008 05:43 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
The Chevy Malibu Logo, Chevy Malibu Typeface and Chevy Logo are Trademark General Motors. We are in no way affiliated with General Motors, we are simply an enthusiasts' site.