Radio Problem - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Hokiehall
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LTZ x 2
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 1
Default Radio Problem

My 2010 Malibu has a radio issue. It will flip back and forth between radio and Aux Input. You can hit the side of the radio and it will go back to playing. It can happen at anytime whether moving or not. I do have it in the dealership today for repair and it is under warranty but I am just curious if anyone else has had this problem.
2010 Malibu LTZ #1 Born in March 2010
3.6L V6 DOHC Engine; Bose Audio w/XM; Bluetooth;Leather

2010 Malibu LTZ #2 Born in May 2010
Twin of #1 for my wife

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
dc2009
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS
Imperial Blue

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Radio Problem

About 15 years ago I had a radio in a vehicle that would start or stop buzzing when I hit a bump in the road or rapped the radio in a certain spot.

It was replaced by the warranty but I remember I had to live with for a couple of days until the dealer got the proper replacement radio shipped it. When they swapped the radio out a piece of the trim broke, they told me about this when I picked the car up.

So I had to go back a 3rd time to get the trim piece replaced. I am not certain if the trim piece was something covered by the warranty or if the dealer paid for it since there people broke it.
dc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
but I am just curious if anyone else has had this problem.
Yes, it's been discussed here before.

The AUX jack has contacts that automatically switch the input when something is plugged in there. Those contacts sometimes get dirty or weak. Sometimes just sticking a plug into the jack a few times will "clean" it and stop the phantom switches.

Alas, if the dealer admits there is a problem, their only solution often is to replace the whole radio. Sad but if you're under warranty, I guess you won't care.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Hokiehall
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LTZ x 2
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Just got the car back. There was a bad code in the software which they upgraded. Should work correctly now. There were no problems on the trip back to the office.

Twin of #1 for my wife

Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Just got the car back. There was a bad code in the software which they upgraded. Should work correctly now. There were no problems on the trip back to the office.
I am so happy to read things were taken care of for you. Please, don't hesitate to contact me in the future if you happen to have this concern again.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Hokiehall
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LTZ x 2
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I am so happy to read things were taken care of for you. Please, don't hesitate to contact me in the future if you happen to have this concern again.

Thanks Michelle. This car has been very good since I bought it 2 years ago. This was the first warranty issue I have had with it. My wife has an identical one and has had no problems with hers.

Twin of #1 for my wife

Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Thanks Michelle. This car has been very good since I bought it 2 years ago. This was the first warranty issue I have had with it. My wife has an identical one and has had no problems with hers.
You're welcome!

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
That's the first I've heard of that. I would have thought malibuken's answer was correct. I wasn't even aware they could reflash the radio's firmware. Learned something new.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
That's the first I've heard of that. I would have thought malibuken's answer was correct. I wasn't even aware they could reflash the radio's firmware. Learned something new.
I certainly am NOT holding my breath that whatever they did (or TOLD him they did) will really fix the problem.

I predict the problem will be back within a week or so.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Hokiehall
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LTZ x 2
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Just a note that I had forgotten I had posted this out here. But, the problem with the radio came back about a week (as Malibuken predicted) after I got it repaired. I took it back and this time they just replaced it. Everything is good now. It was a short in the original radio (which is what I suspected but you never know anymore.)

Twin of #1 for my wife

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.