ABS/Traction control/ Brake light - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
floyd67
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu maxx ls

Gallery: 0
Default ABS/Traction control/ Brake light

My ABS/Traction control lights came on so i had it scanned and was told left fron was not reading. I replaced the hub that did not help so i replaced it again thinking bad hub. That did not fix the problem so the mechanic said it could be the harness from the hub to the plug at the firewall. I replaced that and the scanner still does not read that wheel. Now my brake light is on. So I have three lights on and stumped on what the problem is. Any input would be great.

Thanks,Tim
floyd67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Default Re: ABS/Traction control/ Brake light

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd67 View Post
Any input would be great.
How much more $$$ are you going to waste before you let a shop fix it for you??

Probably not the input you were looking for, I know.

Without being there and being able to do some testing, any suggestions you get here, as good as they might be, will still be just another guess.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
floyd67
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu maxx ls

i did what the shop said was wrong and save myself a few hundred bucks by doing it myself but the problem wasn't what they said. plus it's my daughters car and she is in college and can't afford alot right now.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I would tend to think that if you were to take it to that shop they'd be throwing parts at it, charging you, and then scratching their heads when it didn't solve the problem.

You might be better of taking it where they'll actually diagnose it first, determine what the actual cause is, and then do a repair. There are a lot of things that can turn the ABS/TC lights on. Are they both on or just the one?

I'm no tech, but here's a list of things I'd be checking, not necessarily in this order:
1. Wheel sensor wiring at each hub — chafed? damaged?
2. Wheel sensor harness connectors at each hub — corroded? fully engaged?
3. ABS wiring near steering shaft — chafed?
4. ABS plug at module — fully inserted? corroded terminals? damaged/melted?
5. Brake fluid — filled?
6. TC switch — corroded terminals at plug? fully inserted? bad contacts? RFI/EMI?
7. BCM — corroded terminals? fretting? fully inserted?
8. Ignition switch — common issue on those models

There may be other things to check but that's where I'd start and be looking around for other possible clues. I hope you figure it out. Please post if/when you do!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 05-26-2012 at 02:16 AM.
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
I would tend to think that if you were to take it to that shop they'd be throwing parts at it, charging you, and then scratching their heads when it didn't solve the problem.
That only happens if and when you as the customer LETS it happen.

I don't pay for parts that don't fix the problem.

And I have found over the years that you usually only have to have that discussion ONCE with the service manager of a given shop.......and then it doesn't happen again.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd67 View Post
i did what the shop said was wrong and save myself a few hundred bucks by doing it myself but the problem wasn't what they said.
Well it IS a gamble, after all.
Sometimes you win.......
This time you lose.

Free advice often is really worth what you paid for it.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
floyd67
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu maxx ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
The shop was a local GM dealership i won't be going back. I have found a small shop in the town where i live that a friend of a friend works at, asking around it has a good name for itself. Just have to find time to get it there with the daughter needing it for school everyday it's tough.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
floyd67
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu maxx ls

well i still have the same problems. Three different shops have tried to diagnose the problems. I have replaced both front hubs with new gm brand parts.Replaced both wiring harnesses from the hubs up to the plugs on the firewall. Replaced the EBCM with a used one that was checked out and verifiyed was good by gm. one shop was just a local shop and the other two were gm dealerships. all code readers can't read both front wheels just zero readings. starting to lose my mind as no one seems to know what is wrong. any ideas out there would be appreciated Thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Kenr
CMF Rookie Member
1999 Malibu LS
Silver

I have a similar problem... My ABS light has been on for a long time. I had a trusted mechanic look at it awhile ago (3+ yrs ago) and he said that the ABS system is working fine and that possibly the sensor is being tripped by vibrations. So I believed him and never had him work on it. How's that for a mechanic? He didn't even charge me for the assessment.

Well now my Parking brake light is stuck on. I actually use my parking brake every time I park so it makes sense that the brake switch is broken and I have found a repair solution, just haven't fixed it yet.

So fast forward to last week. I bring it in for an oil change and I tell the shop manager about the parking brake problem and ask if he could fix it (I have the part). He looks at it, says "a sensor wire is pinched between your wheel hub bearing and another piece of metal and your dashboard brake lights are trying to tell you that something is wrong." He recommends replacing the wheel hub bearing. I remember watching his interaction with the previous customers in the waiting room and EVERY SINGLE customer before me had something seriously wrong with their car that needed fixing. Maybe these customers really are neglecting their cars? I think he is just crooked.
Kenr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.