Turn signal stalk making loud sound - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Setnev
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Crystal Red

Gallery: 0
Default Turn signal stalk making loud sound

Ok, so I have owned my Malibu all of 2400 miles and I think I have my first warranty issue and want to know if it is normal or not.

When I turn on the turn signal and make a turn and return the wheel to straight, the turn signal stalk makes a loud cracking noise as it shuts off.

Remember in older cars if you turned on the left blinker but went right without changing the blinker, it made a loud clack? Same noise but under proper usage. It is also making a similar creak when I turn the signal on. It usually does it when I turn the wheel more than 240 degree in either direction during the turn.

I contemplated taking it in for warranty work, but want to know if its a common issue? It never did this until about 200 miles ago. Should I make an appointment to get it looked at?
Setnev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Default Re: Turn signal stalk making loud sound

Yeah I think I would. Probably just the turn signal multi function switch. Make sure you show the service advisor the noise you're after.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
ClothSeats
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Gold Mist Metallic

Based on your description, I think there is something wrong in there, but as long as the turn signals are functioning and canceling correctly, I doubt that the dealer will do anything about it.
ClothSeats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Wrong! If it's not functioning correctly (ie making weird noises, etc) it will be fixed. Been there, done that - they fixed it.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
mk1sh1trocket
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Carbon Flash Met.

The same thing happened to us. Not long after the sound started the turn signal quit canceling all together. If you still have b2b they will fix it for you..
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setnev View Post
Ok, so I have owned my Malibu all of 2400 miles and I think I have my first warranty issue and want to know if it is normal or not.

When I turn on the turn signal and make a turn and return the wheel to straight, the turn signal stalk makes a loud cracking noise as it shuts off.

Remember in older cars if you turned on the left blinker but went right without changing the blinker, it made a loud clack? Same noise but under proper usage. It is also making a similar creak when I turn the signal on. It usually does it when I turn the wheel more than 240 degree in either direction during the turn.

I contemplated taking it in for warranty work, but want to know if its a common issue? It never did this until about 200 miles ago. Should I make an appointment to get it looked at?
Were you able to get the vehicle into the dealership about this yet?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Setnev
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Crystal Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Were you able to get the vehicle into the dealership about this yet?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Not yet, ironically, I work in car sales so finding free time when my local dealer's service drive is open is tough.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Setnev
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Crystal Red

Ok, so a status update. I made an appointment at the Power Chevrolet Arrowhead dealer for today and took my car in to have it looked at. Since I posted this, many other things started to go wrong with the car.

First off, my oil life monitor will intermittently reset on it's own. I know this, as I am the only one who drives this car and I rely heavily on it for my oil change.

Second, I began noticing on two separate occasions, when the turn signals were on, the temperature gauge started fluctuating about a 1/8 inch for a second or two before I turned.

Third, I am getting really crappy fuel economy with this car. I'm talking low 20's on the highway and mid-teens in the city bad.

The service department had the car for about 4 hours and came back to me and told me they reprogrammed the PCM/BCM in hopes that the problems were fixed. The only way to know for sure if it is fixed, he said, is to drive it. He said about 1000 miles will do and they will check it again to see if any issues show up. Upon driving away from the service department, I noticed a new "addition" to my car. It is a small black box about 1 inch square with a button on it and a connector of some sort with a wire running under the dashboard.

Now may I add, the physical issue of the noise on the turn signal stalk is not fixed and now I have this random mystery box screwed (yes SCREWED with actual screws) in under my dashboard next to the OBDII connector, which I am almost sure is causing weird things to my car. I noticed my shifting has gotten slightly worse and car is a dog on the highway. What is going on? My ownership experience went from great to a nightmare with this car and the service advisor looked at me like I was crazy for all this happening.

Last edited by Setnev; 06-28-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

They installed something and you discovered it without being told it was there? WTF? Take it back and get an explanation. If it's good enough leave the device there. If not, have it removed. If it's not supported by GM it could be grounds to void a portion of the warranty.

What does the repair order say? What else did they tell you that might not be obvious in your post?

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Setnev
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Crystal Red

Um, I didn't get anything from the dealer when I left. I got a claim ticket and that was all. Everything he told me is what I put in my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.