"Service Traction" & "Reduced Engine Power" - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
SouthGables
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
white

Gallery: 0
Default "Service Traction" & "Reduced Engine Power"

I am having problems with my 2011 Malibu LT. It will randomly read "service traction" and "reduced engine power". I have had the car for only 3 weeks and had to have it towed with the dealer plates still on it last weekend. They said they fixed some of the terminals but this morning it happened again. Its in the shop for a second time and they are replacing the throttle body...Extremely frustrating and dangerous...as it happened the second time right before I was going on the freeway...Anybody else have this issue and how it got fixed?
SouthGables is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Default Re: "Service Traction" & "Reduced Engine Power"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGables View Post
Anybody else have this issue and how it got fixed?
Have you searched around on here a little?

That sounds strangely familiar......and an unusual combination of symptoms, I think.

It might be a symptom of a general electrical failure.....ie. low voltage due to a bad battery, loose connections or failed charging system (but that is somewhat of a guess).

It sounds to me like they are making wild guesses too.

I strongly urge you to NOT take it back from them until they can drive it for 100 miles or 3 days without the failure happening again.

You might ask them if they have done a thorough search of their "service bulletins". Believe it or not, sometimes they don't.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
I am having problems with my 2011 Malibu LT. It will randomly read "service traction" and "reduced engine power". I have had the car for only 3 weeks and had to have it towed with the dealer plates still on it last weekend. They said they fixed some of the terminals but this morning it happened again. Its in the shop for a second time and they are replacing the throttle body...Extremely frustrating and dangerous...as it happened the second time right before I was going on the freeway...Anybody else have this issue and how it got fixed?
Without knowing which codes it popped I can only speculate but that "engine power reduced" message comes from the throttle actuator control (TAC) system & is often resolved by replacing the throttle body assy. The "service traction" message is set for a long list of problems. It is typically set in response to a primary issue. In your case, a TAC problem.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

If you're having TAC problems, there are no guaranteed solutions. There are throttle position sensor problems sometimes, which is serviced as part of the throttle body ususally. There have been terminal crimp problems from time to time and there have been wiring issues between the throttle body and the ECM. The problem when it occurs usually doesn't stay current very long. It fails for a brief moment and then works again. The car won't clear itself until you cycle the ignition OFF and ON, it's designed that way.

As for driving the vehicle for 3 days or 100 miles, that may sound good to some of you but there are people that freak if you put 5 miles on their car. Even if you drive it a month and a thousand miles, there are no guarantees. MK with all the codes we have and all the computer controls available to us, unfortunately you do sometimes have to go with your best hunch/guess/shotgun to try to fix the car. How do you diagnose a concern that you see for one single frame of data on a snapshot of data? I know it's fun to bash the tech working on the car and call him an idiot when he doesn't fix it, but I haven't yet found a repair person in any field that nails it 100% of the time.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Quote:
As of today, how are things going with your Malibu?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
SouthGables
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
white

Everything seems to be fine now but I've only had the car back for 3 days. They put in a new throttle body and checked wires/terminals. They said GM put out a bulletin for this problem which confirms there has been newer cars with the same issue.
SouthGables is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
I know it's fun to bash the tech working on the car and call him an idiot when he doesn't fix it, but I haven't yet found a repair person in any field that nails it 100% of the time.
I think you will find that I deal out harsh criticism pretty carefully.

The only "mechanics" I consider idiots are those who say: " There are no codes set so obviously there is NOT a problem"........as he stands beside a car that is shuddering and blowing smoke out the back.

Milder criticism comes a bit easier though.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
ahbond2
CMF Rookie Member
Blue

This sounds like the same problem my Malibu is currently in the shop for. I've been discussing it on another thread. I got a P2135 CEL code on mine. I hope yours is still running smooth.
ahbond2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
SparkyLass
CMF Rookie Member

I am currently ha in this problem with my 2008 Malibu and we haven't found d anything wrong nor any codes. Both my mechanic and the dealership agree this is likely a problem with the engine wiring harness, but I was hoping to look online to see if anyone had resolved it and there seems to be no definite answer.
SparkyLass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Schragman1
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu 2lt
Black

Default "Service Traction" & "Reduced Engine Power"

I'm also having this same problem, all the eating lights come on, my car completely loses power, and the battery is dead!? It throws codes but when the battery dies it resets the codes. I wonder if it could be the the throttle body!? Just don't want to start throwing parts at it till it's finally fixed a few thousand $$ later!

Warning lights ***

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 02-16-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Use edit, please...
Schragman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.