camshaft position sensor - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
scally32536
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LT
white

Gallery: 0
Question camshaft position sensor

2009 Malibu, 4 cyc. Check light reported P0010 malf. Replaced sensor still have problem. Is there 2 cam shaft senors on this engine, and if so where might it be located on engine. Thanks
scally32536 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Default Re: camshaft position sensor

You replaced the wrong part as have many others before you. I assume it's Autozone that is giving out that bad/confusing information.

There are two long threads on the p0010 code on a 2.4l already:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ighlight=p0010

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ighlight=p0010

If you have questions after reading those feel free to ask here.

Last edited by greenman; 07-22-2012 at 11:44 AM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by scally32536 View Post
2009 Malibu,

Is there 2 cam shaft senors on this engine,
Unless you have more than 100,000 miles on this car, it should still be covered by the 5/100 powertrain warranty.

Why are you messing with it yourself if a dealer will fix it at no cost to you ???
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Good point. Covered under the powertrain.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
rluck9277
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LS
Summit White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKen View Post
Unless you have more than 100,000 miles on this car, it should still be covered by the 5/100 powertrain warranty.

Why are you messing with it yourself if a dealer will fix it at no cost to you ???
You will be ok if you still under the bumper to bumper warranty. But it isn't covered under the powertrain warranty. I had the same code, it is the sensor that controls the VVT function of the camshafts. There are two, one for the intake cam, and one for the exhaust cam. They are located under the engine cover on top of the camshaft cover on the left side of the engine. There are 2 right next to each other.

Anyways when I had my code I took it to a dealer expecting it to be covered under the powertrain warranty (I was well over 36,000 at the time) and it wasn't. They wanted to charge me something like $260 to install it. The sensor was only $55, so I bought it and installed it my self. It was very simple, and took me like 15 minutes to install it.

From what I gathered from the dealership, the powertrain warranty only covers the mechanical aspects of the engine and transmissions, electrical sensors are not covered.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluck9277 View Post
You will be ok if you still under the bumper to bumper warranty. But it isn't covered under the powertrain warranty. I had the same code, it is the sensor that controls the VVT function of the camshafts. There are two, one for the intake cam, and one for the exhaust cam. They are located under the engine cover on top of the camshaft cover on the left side of the engine. There are 2 right next to each other.

Anyways when I had my code I took it to a dealer expecting it to be covered under the powertrain warranty (I was well over 36,000 at the time) and it wasn't. They wanted to charge me something like $260 to install it. The sensor was only $55, so I bought it and installed it my self. It was very simple, and took me like 15 minutes to install it.

From what I gathered from the dealership, the powertrain warranty only covers the mechanical aspects of the engine and transmissions, electrical sensors are not covered.
I believe you are confusing the CMP sensors with the CMP actuators. That confusion leads to replacing the wrong part as was the OP's case. Several people in this forum have reported that they have had the actuators covered under the powertrain warranty. It is the actuators (sometimes the circuit) that commonly fail. The 10 code is for the intake actuator (or the actuator circuit).
Old 07-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluck9277 View Post
There are all kinds of "gotcha"s in car warrantys but if a part is required for the engine to run......or for the transmission to make it move.....that IS the powertrain and it should be covered. I don't think I would have accepted that story without some further checking and/or complaining.

My dealer provided a "gap" powertrain warranty, that takes it to 8 years/100K miles. There is one glaring exclusion: it doesn't cover gaskets or seals......or damage resulting from that failure. What a crock.
Also it says several places that a covered part must "break".
I'm suspecting that this "warranty" might not even be worth what I paid for it.......which is nothing.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
rluck9277
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LS
Summit White

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
I believe you are confusing the CMP sensors with the CMP actuators. That confusion leads to replacing the wrong part as was the OP's case. Several people in this forum have reported that they have had the actuators covered under the powertrain warranty. It is the actuators (sometimes the circuit) that commonly fail. The 10 code is for the intake actuator (or the actuator circuit).
Yeah, I meant the actuator. My dealership and I may not have been on the same page when I asked him about it. I should see if I still I have the reciept for the part and see if they will cover it. Probably not since I installed it, but it might be worth a check.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.