2013 Chevy Malibu 2.5L Review - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
AutoGuide.com
Administrator

Gallery: 0
Default 2013 Chevy Malibu 2.5L Review

Quote:
Malibu adds entry-level model as it struggles to stand out
by Sami Haj-Assaad

When we first looked at the 2013 Chevy Malibu Eco, we came away awed by its incredibly quiet ride, but were otherwise unimpressed. Despite its mild-hybrid powertrain, it lagged behind its hybrid rivals in fuel economy and driving enjoyment.

However, a new four-cylinder engine is now available on the Malibu, and is focused on being quiet, providing solid power, and netting good fuel economy. These might seem like simple goals, but if met they can help make the Malibu stand out in a crowded playing field.

This new 2.5L engine is available on the lowest trim Malibu, and is cheaper than the eAssist mild-hybrid Malibu Eco by about $3,000. While comparing that car to the other hybrids in its segment proved a lopsided affair, the Malibu 2.5L offers a closer head-to-head comparison with other base models in the mid-size family sedan segment such as the Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata and the all-new Nissan Altima.

The Malibu 2.5L is looking to continue the reputation of its mild-hybrid model. That means the expectations are set with a bunch of standard features, a quiet cabin and a comfortable ride. The new engine also hopes to breathe life into the car, in terms of power and fuel efficiency.

PLENTY OF POWER

The additional power that the new engine makes is a clear advantage over its mid-sized rivals – at least on paper.

At 197-hp and 191 lbs-ft of torque, the Malibu beats out the power numbers made by the base Camry, Altima and Accord. It’s just one pony shy of the Sonata and Optima twins, but bests them in torque. When driving, the car never feels out of breath, and will adequately pass slower vehicles on the highway.

While family sedans aren’t known for blazing fast acceleration, Chevrolet says that the Malibu can hit 60 mph in about 8-seconds, which is on par with other sedans in the segment. The reason it’s not quicker is the extra weight the Malibu lugs around, ranging from 200 to 300 lbs more than many of its competitors.

The car delivers its power smoothly, and briskly glides when pushed hard, rather than abruptly throwing passengers back in their seats.

SOLID FUEL ECONOMY, BUT SHORT OF RIVALS

That extra power (and weight) comes with a compromise. The EPA rates the Malibu 2.5L at 22/34/26 mpg city/highway/combined. While this is a better rating than the old 2.4L in the 2012 Malibu, it’s slightly lower than the ratings of the Camry, Accord, Altima and Sonata. The plus side is that the Malibu’s fuel economy numbers are actually attainable, and done without a frustratingly unresponsive Eco mode.

During city, highway and rural drives, our test car averaged closer to 30 mpg, higher than the EPA’s estimate.
Read the complete 2013 Chevy Malibu review at AutoGuide.com
AutoGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Default Re: 2013 Chevy Malibu 2.5L Review

Wow so amny things wrong with that review. First of all what car were they comparing the base Malibu to with the statement "The plus side is that the Malibu’s fuel economy numbers are actually attainable, and done without a frustratingly unresponsive Eco mode." It can't be the Malibu ECO as it is in no way "frustratingly unresponsive"

Next they show an interior shot of the LTZ yet they are talking about the Base Malibu. They make it sound like the base Malibu is going to have the MYLink system which it isn't.
Then they say the malibu doesn't have a navigation feature which it does have an option for it but not on the base one as far as I know.

They also show pics of a non base Malibu.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

I also don't know where they got this info...
"While the 2013 Malibu Eco has eight airbags as standard, this one is equipped with an additional two airbags. "

Uhh the ECO has 10 air bags. They should check the Chevy site if they don't believe it.

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

After further investigation on the Chevy site I guess the first Malibu Ecos did have 8 air bags. It says Malibu Eco models built after June 2013 have 10 air bags... wait a minute... 2013? I think they mean 2012
Our car was built in May so it should have 8 air bags.

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
Old 07-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
snowleopard
CMF Senior Member
2013 Verano Convenience
White Diamond

Garage

I find it kind of disappointing that the 2.5L 0-60 is still at ~8 seconds. The 2.4L 7th gens with the 6-speed had about an 8.5s 0-60. That's not much faster for 30hp and 30tq more.

I do like the interior though. Still reminds me too much of the LaCrosse (minus the rear end). Still a nice car though!

The T/C version is the same engine in the ATS. So, that will be interesting!
snowleopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Yea I expected a little better performance too as the Eco is at 8.2 seconds 0-60

According to this site http://www.zeroto60times.com/Chevrol...mph-Times.html
A 2011 Malibu 2.4 got 8.7 seconds from 0-60

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Then I wonder if the 2.0 T/C will get closer to the 3.6's 6.3 seconds.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
snowleopard
CMF Senior Member
2013 Verano Convenience
White Diamond

Garage

Supposedly, from a review that I saw somewhere it will get in the upper 6.x second 0-60 (I believe I read a tested 6.7s).
snowleopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

I am going to dig deeper into this. Please, allow me through the beginning of next week to get back with any updates.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrunch View Post
After further investigation on the Chevy site I guess the first Malibu Ecos did have 8 air bags. It says Malibu Eco models built after June 2013 have 10 air bags... wait a minute... 2013? I think they mean 2012
Our car was built in May so it should have 8 air bags.
Sent an email to Chevy and they corrected it to say Malibu Eco models built after June 2012 have 10 air bags.

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.