Missfire code cylinder 6 CEL, again - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
BEVE
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Dark Grey Metallic

Gallery: 0
Default Missfire code cylinder 6 CEL, again

Well here I go again back to the shop with a CEL that comes back as a cylinder 6 miss fire. I have actually had it in for this problem a few times, and this will be the 4th time IIRC.
So far they have used a special cleaner in the fuel system, and it is some strong smelling stuff. Can smell it for almost a whole tank of gas after. They have done that a couple of times. Then they removed and manually cleaned the injector. That had lasted quite awhile until yesterday.
This time again like every other time, when the car was parked and idleing as I moved some kids toys out of the way of the garage, the CEL light came on. Onstar confirm missfire cyl 6. This time as Onstar was running the diagnostic the ESC and Traction control service lights both came on, had Onstar rerun the diagnostics and confirmed. UUUUGGGGHHHH!
Anyone else have this one?

I really do like this car. Sexy looks, powerful V6, family friendly, and tons of options for the price. But this going to the shop so frequently with the misfire, and also the lock actutor, is getting old fast. So far everything has been covered by warranty (lock actuator too, even though past BTB) and both local GM service and GM Customer Service have been good. Starting to wonder though if its not time to look elsewhere as I'm starting to fear this will be the beginning of the end.

Sorry for the rant
Thanks for listening
BEVE
09 2LT V6
BEVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Default Re: Missfire code cylinder 6 CEL, again

09 Bu 2LT V6
p0306

I just don't have enough info to add much. For whatever reason that only they know (because they have done some troubleshooting), they have focused on clearing a clogged injector. Why they wouldn't just replace it I can't explain. Injectors can become electrically intermittent like most electrical parts.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

It sounds like whatever is really wrong is being disturbed but not fixed. It's time to dig a little deeper with that injector. It either needs to be replaced or swapped but that will almost guarantee you a fifth visit. I would replace it really. No other cylinders misfire at any time, just 6? If the injector would be swapped with, just say cylinder 4, and the misfire moves to 4, you know the injector is bad, that's the only upside to swapping injectors on different cylinders. Was the plug ever pulled out? It's not oily is it? I've got my suspicions you may have other problems but I can't see your car to confirm the suspicions.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
BEVE
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Dark Grey Metallic

Thanks guys, they told me that they are following the GM recommended procedures for this issue. Thats why they hadn't replaced anything yet, as that wasn't what was instructed. Mind you this is a warranty issue so I'm guessing they aren't going over and above.

@ Rodents
They did that procedure of swapping cylinders to check to make sure it wasn't the coil at a past visit but didn't do that with the injector. I don't recall if they said that they checked the plug, but I'm the kind of person that would think that would be something they would automatically done.

They called back yesterday and said they are now going to replace the injector, finally. They had to order it so it won't be done until today. I'm hoping this will solve the problem of the missfire and maybe even the somewhat rough idle (subjective according to them).
I'm sure it will be good for at least a lil while even if the problem isn't solved. I'll post back again with an update.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

It is correct, you are supposed to find an issue to justify replacing a part, not just throw one at it and hope you're guessing right. However, once you get to a repeat visit, and you're way past that, it's time to get a bit more aggressive in diagnosis. I would have thought after the first cleaning didn't address it for a very long time, they would have at least swapped injectors the next visit. Well, each tech will go about it their own way and some aren't as enthusiastic about their jobs as others. Hopefully this does it for you.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
BEVE
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Dark Grey Metallic

Well I had the injector replaced and when I picked it up and drove it home I was excited. It idled alot smoother and seemed to run a lil better overall. I knew the rough idle wasn't just me!

Well that all was short lived. A few days and about 1/2 tank of gas later the rough idle returned. A few days after that I got the flashing CEL while I was idling after start up in the parking lot. Onstar dx run, as soon as they did the CEL went out and they came back with no code. Couple days later exact same thing happened; CEL, Onstar, no code. Hadn't had a chance to get to the dealer to check for a code. Then yesterday it happened again but this time Onstar got a code and of course, its the missfire code again.
Called my dealer service and now they are thinking maybe it could be a bad valve, valve spring or both. Its scheduled to go in on Monday to potentially get opened up depending on what GM Service repairs says to do... sigh.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
BEVE
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Dark Grey Metallic

Well they opened her up this week. After checking compression, plug, injector, etc. they figured out that they had a burnt valve and bad valve seat. Thankfully all covered under warranty and I was given a loaner for 3 days.
Only had the Bu back for a day but it seems to be firing on all cylinders (pun intended). Runs smoother at idle too. Time will tell but I'm hopeful that its cured.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Thank you for taking the time to share the outcome with the Malibu. It is great to read things are going well. Please, don't hesitate to contact me in the future with comments, questions and/or concerns.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVE View Post
Well they opened her up this week. After checking compression, plug, injector, etc. they figured out that they had a burnt valve and bad valve seat. Thankfully all covered under warranty and I was given a loaner for 3 days.
Only had the Bu back for a day but it seems to be firing on all cylinders (pun intended). Runs smoother at idle too. Time will tell but I'm hopeful that its cured.
Is that the 3.5l or 3.6l engine?

What's the vehicle mileage?
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
BEVE
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Dark Grey Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Is that the 3.5l or 3.6l engine?

What's the vehicle mileage?
It is the 3.6L and its now at 48,600 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.