Gas Smell after Remote Start. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
langss
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite Meta

Gallery: 0
Default Gas Smell after Remote Start.

At first I thought I was smelling some other car. But it has done it more and more to the point that my wife asked me if something was wrong with the car. So here is what I'm looking at. The car has sat from when I get to work until I leave. It has happened at other times, but I use the remote leaving work the most. As soon as I can see the car, I use the remote start, car starts, I hit the door unlock, open the door and smell "Gas". This happens whether I have the Air Conditioning on or just the fan or nothing. Makes no difference. I only notice it if the door is open and the car is running as I am getting in. If I get in and start it normally, no smell that I notice. Anybody else have this happen ???.
langss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Default Re: Gas Smell after Remote Start.

Starting remote or with the key makes no difference. If you smell it through the vents, there's a possibility a fuel line could be starting to leak but then you should smell it all the time, not just at start up. You're sure you just aren't smelling the exhaust? The converters don't work right away, they have to heat up to light off, some odor will result albeit for a very brief time.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
langss
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite Meta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Starting remote or with the key makes no difference. If you smell it through the vents, there's a possibility a fuel line could be starting to leak but then you should smell it all the time, not just at start up. You're sure you just aren't smelling the exhaust? The converters don't work right away, they have to heat up to light off, some odor will result albeit for a very brief time.
Thank You for your reply. It could be the exhaust, but its raw gas I smell. With California so high and mighty about emissions, I cannot imagine that flying. I am sure your on the money about which mode the car is started in, but I'm only smelling it getting into the car, and its brief at that. If its unburned fuel coming from the exhaust,whats wrong with this picture ???
Old 08-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Here are my thoughts.

When the engine first starts there will be unburned fuel. Remember the days of carburetors with chokes? Well, all engines starting cold need a richer fuel/air mixture than they do once they're warmed up. Since you're starting it remotely and then walking up to it you're in a position to smell what comes out the tailpipe, but when you're inside you're not.

Sounds like a simple theory, and it might actually be the solution.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Since it's throwing no codes & you aren't complaining about any other issues I suspect there's a very small liquid fuel leak somewhere. It's a dangerous situation no matter how small.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
bfoster
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Silver

Yea, remote start or not, the computer basically starts the car. But a gas smell is something to defiantly have checked out asap!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
langss
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite Meta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Here are my thoughts.

When the engine first starts there will be unburned fuel. Remember the days of carburetors with chokes? Well, all engines starting cold need a richer fuel/air mixture than they do once they're warmed up. Since you're starting it remotely and then walking up to it you're in a position to smell what comes out the tailpipe, but when you're inside you're not.

Sounds like a simple theory, and it might actually be the solution.
I would go with that, but since California is so @#@!,any tailpipe emission of unburned gas would be a big NO NO and somebody (GM) would be up the creek and no paddle with all kind of California up their tailpipe.

If it gets to be something I smell all the time,I will take it to the dealer.I just wanted to know if anybody else had experienced this. Since it seems I'm the only one, I will just keep on Truckin.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Well, how is it you expect the catalytic converter to work on a cold start? There has to be heat there for it to light off, I don't think anyone has heaters in the converters yet. Even the mighty CARB can't overcome current technology. Sure the A/F ratio is richer on cold start, like DD said. No engine is 100% efficient at burning fuel, there is always some, usually minute amount of unburned or partially burned fuel. If there were a fuel leak, don't you think you'd smell it all the time? A leak that seals itself after a cold start is a mighty slim possibility, I'd call it impossible but I know better. If you had an EVAP system fault, you could smell raw fuel, but it would almost certainly set a trouble code in the ECM. While I don't recommend doing it regularly, why don't you stand at the back of the car and remote start it and see if what comes out the exhaust is what you smell.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
langss
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite Meta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Well, how is it you expect the catalytic converter to work on a cold start? There has to be heat there for it to light off, I don't think anyone has heaters in the converters yet. Even the mighty CARB can't overcome current technology. Sure the A/F ratio is richer on cold start, like DD said. No engine is 100% efficient at burning fuel, there is always some, usually minute amount of unburned or partially burned fuel. If there were a fuel leak, don't you think you'd smell it all the time? A leak that seals itself after a cold start is a mighty slim possibility, I'd call it impossible but I know better. If you had an EVAP system fault, you could smell raw fuel, but it would almost certainly set a trouble code in the ECM. While I don't recommend doing it regularly, why don't you stand at the back of the car and remote start it and see if what comes out the exhaust is what you smell.
Sorry if I have trouble believing that what your all telling me is true, when They Regulate Everything In This State That Has Anything To Do With Fuel.The gas pumps have a vacuum that sucks the vapor out of the tank while you are filling it. Gas Cans have a special valve that has to be manually operated to allow gas to flow. Everything here is regulated,Lawn Mowers,Weed Wacker's,Chain Saws, you name it its got a California Model that's sold here. And you all expect me to believe that California said to GM hell its ok.....let a bunch of unburned fuel vapor pour out the tailpipe because the converters don't lite off until they get hot. We will just have to agree to disagree and let it go at that. The car runs fine, I get really good mileage for the type of traffic I have to drive in and other than this rather minor issue, I have had next to nothing go wrong with the car so far. I do appreciate your input and if as I said before I'm the only one who has ever experienced this.... That's just the way it goes. Thank You All Again.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I lived in CA for 20 years until 2006. The MTBE they add to the winter fuel costs you about 25% in mileage and only "reduces" emissions by the same amount. In my mind, that means for every mile you drive the pollution is the same number of grams per mile, you just have to spend more to buy the gas and burn more gas to do it. Then when they discovered that leaking tanks were getting into the ground water, and MTBE is carcinogenic (or some other terrible health risk), they figured that it would take more money to phase it out than it took to phase it in, and it would take years. Hmmm, money grubbers is what I say. I'm glad to be out of CA for that reason, but I also left a lot of friends there.

All engines need time to warm up. In the "old" days they had carbs with chokes, but with the advent of fuel injection and then computerized engine controls, the warm-up cycle has been greatly shortened but hasn't been eliminated. Therefore, CA can yap all it wants to and tell GM or others that warm-ups are not allowed, but the physical fact is they're a part of starting an engine cold.

Part of the physics of catalytic convertors is they need to get to a particular operating temperature before they are able to do their job. Until then, the exhaust passes through with little or no modification, including the unburned or partially burned fuel in the form of hydrocarbons, etc, and they come out the tailpipe. Can't change scientific facts no matter if they are high and mighty Californi-cators!

So, maybe instead of trying to figure out why CA is so dead set on making your life miserable, and the lives of many others as well, see if you can find the actual source of the issue. A suggestion was made to remote start it and stand at the rear of the car to see if you can detect it. If you can then you've found the source. If not, then it could be you've got a serious problem that needs attention, sooner or later.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.