Heater Core Replacement - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Easton1dad
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu

Gallery: 0
Default Heater Core Replacement

Has anyone ever changed a heater core on a 2005 chevrolet malibu before or know somebody that has? And if so, do you have any pictures or step by step instructions on how to did it? I've changed heater cores before but never on a chevrolet malibu. I tried looking online and at youtube videos but there is nothing for the malibu. Any help would be great. Thank you.
Easton1dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
TMShannon
CMF Rookie Member

Default Re: Heater Core Replacement

It's a chore....wish I could tell you some shortcuts, but really there are none. The whole dash needs to come out, be rolled over, and then you can take the heater core out. You need to evacuate the A/C system, too. Drop the steering column on the floor, remove the brake pedal assembly, the accelerator pedal, the console, every plastic piece around the dash, electrical connectors on both ends of the dash, under the dash, at the console.
I'm in the middle of an '06 right now that belongs to my girlfriends sister. Every shop she took it to turned her down, or priced themselves out of it. Book time is a minimum of 6 hours, up to 7.5+.
If I haven't scared you yet, you can do it. The two biggest things you're gonna need is patience and confidence. I'll try to check back and see if you have anymore questions, but I don't get on here often. Anyway, good luck, I hope I've helped at least a little.

Travis
TMShannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Easton1dad
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu

I just picked up the heater core and am going to install it this week. I got a Spectra Premium heater core. Has anyone used this type of heater core? Is it any good?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
TMShannon
CMF Rookie Member

Sorry to check back in late, but a Spectra Premium is just fine. The exact same brand that I put in.

Just thought I'd add one important minor detail...before you drop the steering column, or the brake pedal bracket, just remove the brake light switch....wayyy too easy to break. One bolt and one connector to remove.

Travis

Last edited by TMShannon; 10-30-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added a tip
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Easton1dad
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu

Thank you for the tip.

Just one question, there are about ten mounting points holding the heater core cover onto the housing which has to be removed but it looks like they have to be drilled out or something. Did you have to drill them out? if so, what size drill bit did you use?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
TMShannon
CMF Rookie Member

I didn't have to drill out a thing on the one I did, and I'm certain that it had never been into before. I did read somewhere about drilling the heat stakes out, but I just removed the screws and the cover came off easily.

Travis
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Easton1dad
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu

The heater core replacement was a success! The heat works great in the car now but after i put everything back together and took it for a test drive the cruise control wouldn't work. Any ideas? The on button on the left hand side of the steering wheel lights up but i can't set a speed.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Check to see if your brakes lights are on, if the hood latch switch is sensing the hood closed, and if there is a CEL (check engine light) illuminated. Those will prevent CC operation.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
TMShannon
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Check to see if your brakes lights are on, if the hood latch switch is sensing the hood closed, and if there is a CEL (check engine light) illuminated. Those will prevent CC operation.
Dang, I'd almost have to agree on the brake lights being on...that would be the most obvious thing after moving the dash and all... If the brake pedal is moved even a slight amount, the cruise will not operate. If you have access to a scanner it will usually tell you why the cruise will not operate.
Good to hear that the heater core replacement did go well, though.

Travis
Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
Easton1dad
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu

I only drive the car once since i did the heater core and i never noticed if the brake lights were on or not. There is no check engine light on so would a code reader work to diagnose the problem? I will check the brakelights tonight and let you know about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.