4cyl Rough Idle - Brakes Make Engine Stall???? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
MRC
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Gallery: 0
Default 4cyl Rough Idle - Brakes Make Engine Stall????

I've been dealing with an intermittent rough idle, usually after a long drive. Also, the ESC and Service Traction lights come on when the engine starts to shake. Come to a stop at a light and the engine lopes or even stalls, pressing the gas up to 1K clears it up and power braking up to 2K to see if it is ignition related shows that it runs just fine.

Did notice though, if you repeatedly press the brake pedal, the engine acts up and almost stalls. I thought maybe it was a vacuum leak or possibly a faulty brake booster?? My car has 90k on the 2.4L.

Any thoughts if anyone has a rough idle and has the lights come on, pressing the brake pedal aggravate it?

Thanks.
MRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
MRC
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Default Re: 4cyl Rough Idle - Brakes Make Engine Stall????

http://www.cartruckinfo.com/engine-m...ough-idle.html

Exhaust valve or internal engine fault? Not sure if anyone else notices this, but on cold start up, my 2.4 sounds like it does have an exhaust leak not loud but like air puffing noise.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

2.4l, 90K,

No codes? No CEL?
Have you cleaned the MAF sensor, throttle body & replaced the air filter lately?
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
tremain.roseman
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Garage

Well living in the state of Alaska I can tell you first hand how cold starts affect the idle. Like MRC my 2012 2.4 LTZ sounds like air puffing. It also idles a lot higher the colder it is. The dealer today told me to let the car warm up at least 10-15 minutes. Depending how the temperature is.

But in relation to the issue at hand, have you asked your dealer what is causing the rough idle? I am in the military and we have certain military trucks we use, and I had the same symptoms ironically that you have in your 09. It turned out to be a couple of internal engine parts, and we could not fix it until we took it in for services and pulled the engine. Something may be loose.

Received: April 28 2012 (after one long year in Afghanistan)

Mods: JL Stealth Box, 8000k HID for Lows and 6000K Fogs, 20% Tinted Windows
Upcoming Mods: Plasti Dipped Wheels and Chevy Emblem

Old Car: 2009 Chevy Malibu LT Aka: Highway Trooper 67,000 Miles
tremain.roseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
ElantraMax
CMF Veteran Member

Ck for a Vaccum Leak.
ElantraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
MRC
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Thanks guys. I don't have a Check Engine Light on and no codes. I am going to buy a cylinder leak down tester and get to that next week. I'll let you know what I find if anything. I got 96K on my car so still some time left to get a free cylinder head from the dealer if that is it.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Doubt that I'm saying anything you don't already know but if a dealer mechanic doesn't see codes & can't reproduce the complaint in a quick test drive then he will not see a problem. Although it will cost you around $100 up front, I would have your complaint documented by a dealer ASAP given the mileage. If it turns out to be a PT warranty-covered issue, you'll get the $100 refunded.

So you are getting the Service Traction & ESC messages but no OBD-2 codes. Have you had it scanned for all codes yet?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #8
ElantraMax
CMF Veteran Member

The ESC/Traction lights are probably coming on rom a voltage issue. When the engine wants to stall, Where is the Tach? If its too low the Alternator wont charge. Thus causing additional lights.
ElantraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
BoxerPowerBB
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Dark Grey

I just joined this forum today because of the myriad problems my girlfriend's 09 Malibu LS has had pretty much since she has owned it. She has been having a similar issue that you are having that no dealers have been able to figure out. It happened to me one time when I was driving the car. It develops what feels like a random/multiple cylinder misfire either when coming to a stop or at a stop (happened to me after sitting at a light for about a minute) then shuts off and doesn't immediately start up again. Other times it has tried to stall or shut off. Oh and this car only has 42,000 on it
BoxerPowerBB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerPowerBB View Post
I just joined this forum today because of the myriad problems my girlfriend's 09 Malibu LS has had pretty much since she has owned it. She has been having a similar issue that you are having that no dealers have been able to figure out. It happened to me one time when I was driving the car. It develops what feels like a random/multiple cylinder misfire either when coming to a stop or at a stop (happened to me after sitting at a light for about a minute) then shuts off and doesn't immediately start up again. Other times it has tried to stall or shut off. Oh and this car only has 42,000 on it

Which engine?

How frequently does it occur?

If you haven't cleaned the throttle body lately I'd start there.

Last edited by greenman; 11-28-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.