Quite the starting problem... - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
pissedabouteverything
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu LS
Gold

Gallery: 0
Question Quite the starting problem...

Over the last year, our 2001 Chevrolet Malibu with a 3.1v6 has become increasingly difficult to start to not starting at all. It first started with occurences of once a month where the car would not start after being driven. At first, unplugging the MAF sensor would magically allow the car to start. We replaced the MAF sensor and the problem went away, for a few months. Then it began again, but more frequently this time. I tore out the ignition switch and discovered that the terminals inside were pitted and burned. I replaced the ignition switch and again, the problem went away for a few months. Now it's back, and I am lost, asking for help.

It happens after the car has been driven, and refuses to start back up unless allowed to cool for 4+ hours now. It has spark, and the fuel pump is working. When you go to start it and it's acting up, there is fuel pressure and you can hear the pump in the tank do it's fuel pressure check. If you put starting fluid into the throttle body (away from the MAF) the engine will start and run until the fuel source depletes, in this case the starting fluid.

The theft light turns on as a bulb check, then off as normal when this happens, leading me to beleive that the theft system isn't the culprit, but I would be proven wrong.

Things done in the past year:

Had a real mechanic replace intake manifold gaskets, they were leaking coolant for a year or so, this starting problem wasn't occuring until a few months after.

Spark plugs+wires.

Battery changed.

Checked for lose/unplugged wires/harnesses visible in the engine bay.

No codes and no check engine light. Gas milage is also decreasing greatly. When the car finally does start, the exhaust smells like it's burning REALLY rich, but has no signs of flooding. Also, the key can be removed from the ignition while the engine is running, but the car doesn't seem to think it's being stolen.

Any suggestions are appreciated. We want our car back, and we don't have money to be towed, so we are stranded at places until it decides to start up.
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: Quite the starting problem...

Not sure if this helps, but I had a '90-sumthin' Cavalier that would start cold and was intermittent when hot.

Turns out it was the $15 crank sensor under the engine that was loose. I had already bought the new one so I just replaced it, but I'd have bet ya that had I simply re-tightened the original one the engine would have started and run as it should.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
pissedabouteverything
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu LS
Gold

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Quite the starting problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Not sure if this helps, but I had a '90-sumthin' Cavalier that would start cold and was intermittent when hot.

Turns out it was the $15 crank sensor under the engine that was loose. I had already bought the new one so I just replaced it, but I'd have bet ya that had I simply re-tightened the original one the engine would have started and run as it should.
Ah, that is a brilliant idea! How do I find the sensor? I'm afraid I have no idea what it looks like so I cannot go searching for it on the block. Also, is there a way to test and confirm? Thanks!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.