new here need some advice - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
dakota1820
CMF Rookie Member
2000 Malibu ls
n/a

Gallery: 0
Default new here need some advice

i am looking to buy a malibu and have some questions. first why should i get a malibu over the competitions cars? what are some common issues? and how are they to work on? i am a young married man with my second kid on the way and am looking to spend about 3500 bucks. all help is appreciated. thanks guys. glad to be here.
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: new here need some advice

Common issues:
> heater control module tends to stop working
> ignition lock AND electrical switch (2 separate items to do 1 function) wear out and it is a lot of labor savings to R&R them at the same time

Other members will have some other input for you, but overall it isn't all that bad of a car. Don't pay more than KBB for it - less if you can.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Also the electrical power steering in 05 and 06 (maybe 07, I am not sure) models had problems. We had an 06 though and didn't have any problems although my step daughter's 05, that she used to have, from time to time would have problems with it.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
dakota1820
CMF Rookie Member
2000 Malibu ls
n/a

where heads and intakes ever an issue like they were on other GM vehicles?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

Heads and intakes? Not really.

Head gaskets and intake gaskets? ButOfCourse, it's Goverment Motors!! *grins*

If you're looking for a car like a Malibu, don't forget the Cutlass (same car, different trim and dash), Alero, or Grand Am of the same vintage (around 2000) (Alero/Grand Am are same platform, and share major mechanicals with the Malibu and Cutlass.)

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
dakota1820
CMF Rookie Member
2000 Malibu ls
n/a

engines would be either a 3.1 or a 3.4 right? are they both known for head and intake gasket troubles?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Kreachur
CMF Junior Member
2007 Malibu ls
dark gray

Garage

it would actually be a 3.1 or 3.5, i have had mine for only a year but i have only had one issue with the radiator but it was from where the previous owner had gotten into an accident and caused it to leak but other than that i have had no problems with it at all and it has been a perfect car. It is a pretty great ride for the price range, it will have electric power steering if it is a 2005-2007 but i have had no problems with mine (other than it can feel a little sloppy when you start driving it a bit rough like i tend to lol). But other than that the ride is good the gas mileage is good even with the 3.5 and all around it's a great car for the price
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
rdkmaxx
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu Maxx LT
Silverstone

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrunch View Post
Also the electrical power steering in 05 and 06 (maybe 07, I am not sure) models had problems. We had an 06 though and didn't have any problems although my step daughter's 05, that she used to have, from time to time would have problems with it.
I just had my power steering replaced under the extended TSB for it (10 years/150K miles), after seeing the 'POWER STEERING' message on the DIC about a month ago.
I have just under 80,000 miles on mine. Otherwise, no problems.

Last edited by rdkmaxx; 11-25-2012 at 09:26 AM.
rdkmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
dakota1820
CMF Rookie Member
2000 Malibu ls
n/a

yea the malibu is 3.1 then went to the 3.5. the 3.4 i was referring to is in the grand am and such. like posted above. is the 3.5 better than the 3.1? i will be looking at them probably from 1999-2002
Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

1999-2002 would be a 3.1 in the 'Bu, a 3.4 in the Alero and Grand Am.

The 3.4 is a bored and/or stroked 3.1, or the 3.1 is de-whichever (I don't remember which one changed, but one did between them).

They can and quite often do (aftermarket!) use the same gaskets.

Both have the same generic problems with lower intake manifold gaskets.

This is NOT a 100% faillure item, now! Don't misunderstand me! It's just that these are more prone to wearing out than I personally think they should have been.

The 'Bu and Cutlass are also prone to the A/C control head failing - there's links here on how to repair the head, so that's not a major problem.

They're all prone to the ignition switch itself failing, and due to how they're located, it's usually more labor effective to swap both the switch and the lock cylinder at the same time.

Overall, they're nice cars - build quality is better than a lot of the older GMs had, but not as good as we may have come to expect from new cars.

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.