Strong Vibration while Braking - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
CM55
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu
Silver

Gallery: 0
Default Strong Vibration while Braking

Hey folks,

I'm a satisfied owner of a 2009 Malibu Hybrid, which was purchased in Spring of 2011. I haven't had any major issues as of yet, knock on wood. However, there is some concern:

When I drive home to school on the weekends, I have to go up and down a mountain that has a pretty strong grade going down. I obviously have to use the brakes when I go down it, so I don't go too fast (this is a 55mph zone). However, when I go down this mountain, after applying breaks, I gradually start to get some vibration in my front wheels, steering wheel, and brake pedal. It starts off very subtle, but by the time I get to the bottom it's almost as if my front wheels are about to fall off the car. Today was a lot worse than other days on account of the increased traffic on the interstates from Thanksgiving, so it was quite a blast going down the mountain. Let me add that the speed doesn't really make it any better. I've gone 75, and I've gone as slow as 60.

It is also worth noting that this does not happen on flat ground regardless of my speed. It brakes very nicely on interstate with no grades, even going down a smaller hill, it's perfectly fine. The vibration from braking does subside after about 5-10 minutes getting onto a flat surface. I will also add that I just had new tires put on my vehicle, and I don't really ever recall it doing that before getting the tires put on.

Money shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm also lucky to have a mechanical savvy family to help out as well.

Thanks guys.
CM55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
evilmo
CMF Rookie Member
12 Malibu 1lt
metalic blue

Default Re: Strong Vibration while Braking

i would almost guarentee that that one of or both of your front rotors need machined or replaced. general rule of thumb if you can feel the vibration in the steering wheel while brakeing that it is on the front. if you feel it in the seat then head to the rear. hope that helps you some
evilmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
canadian_bacon
CMF Junior Member

Gallery: 3

^+1
If you can, buy new ones. The issues will be back, no mater how well you machine them. Not to mention they might be even going out of spec once machined.
canadian_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

@CM55, you should have your brakes inspected as this could be something with the rotors as others have mentioned. Please, keep in mind I’m not a technician.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.