Squeegee-like squeaky sound from steering in tight turns. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Gallery: 0
Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd
Default Squeegee-like squeaky sound from steering in tight turns.

Like the title says, I get a squeaky, squeegee-like noise from the steering wheel/column when I crank it far for tight turns and again when I let it re-center itself. My dad hasn't had time to check it out yet and I was wondering if it could simply need steering fluid. It's a little bit low, but not dramatically so.

The sound is similar to something that needs to be lubricated better. The steering is not working poorly in any way, I've just been noticing the sound become more frequent over the last 10k miles.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
1bird2
CMF Rookie Member

Default Re: Squeegee-like squeaky sound from steering in tight turns.

I have a 2008 Malibu 2008. I too am hearing a "squeaky/squeegee/ruber" like sound from the front suspension. However, it appears to only make the sound when 1) turn steering wheel to limits on left or right, and only briefly do I hear the noise, and 2) (and this is where i hear the noise(s) most) -- driving down the street, under 10 - 20 miles per hour, and/or coming to a stop. Start up again and I hear the noise.

With some testing, it appears the noise happens when the front end moves up, not down (tested by holding foot on brake, in reverse, accelerate enough to slight move car up.

I will take it into the dealer, but I am guessing it is some type of suspension rubber bushing type issue rubbing against metal and rubber is worn (car as ~45K miles).

Any ideas?
1bird2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

We may be experiencing different issues, the sound I hear is definitely coming from the steering wheel or column and only happens while the steering wheel is rotating.

You may be dealing with a failing strut, I don't know much about suspension hardware though.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
EnvoyBu
Super Moderator
2014 ATS4 Premium
Black Diamond

Garage

I had this problem and it was a bad seal in the system. They replaced it and flushed out the fluid. Not a problem since.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT

Past:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6 (29,520 miles)

Black Granite on Cocoa Cashmere with 3.6L V6, Sunroof, and... Cargo Nets!
EnvoyBu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

@1bird2, I’m sorry to read about the noise concern you’re having in your 08 Malibu. I’m curious as to what the dealership diagnosed this as.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvoyBu View Post
I had this problem and it was a bad seal in the system. They replaced it and flushed out the fluid. Not a problem since.
I'm assuming you're talking to me about the steering wheel squeak, and that would be bad news, because I'm out of warranty and that's probably filed under "unnecessary repair" for my dad, who is a busy GM tech that does my labor at no charge.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
Old 11-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
1bird2
CMF Rookie Member

I will be taking it to the dealer in a few weeks, during some much needed time off from work. I have the extended warranty on the car, with the $100 deductible, so I am not sure if it will be covered or not. I have a few other things to get done anyway and will have them check this issue out. I will post back to this thread after I get the car checked out. -1bird2
1bird2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
EnvoyBu
Super Moderator
2014 ATS4 Premium
Black Diamond

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
I'm assuming you're talking to me about the steering wheel squeak, and that would be bad news, because I'm out of warranty and that's probably filed under "unnecessary repair" for my dad, who is a busy GM tech that does my labor at no charge.
Yup, that was meant to be directed at you. It sounds like the same symptoms mine had before they fixed it.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT

Past:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6 (29,520 miles)

Black Granite on Cocoa Cashmere with 3.6L V6, Sunroof, and... Cargo Nets!
EnvoyBu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
sk-89
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Mocha in & out

Had this same squeegee issue and took to dealer for inspection. The issue for me is a leak in the seal on the steering rack and to fix issue it will cost $1071 (I'm am just out of warranty). The technician advised against doing anything and to just get used to the noise/feedback in the steering wheel since it's not worth the money to fix and won't do any physical damage. I don't understand why the seal cannot just be replaced individually but I guess that happens with modern cars

Last edited by sk-89; 03-07-2013 at 10:23 AM.
sk-89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.