Help With Finding Top Speed / 2008 ecotec 4 cylinder - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
twaz
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Exclamation Help With Finding Top Speed / 2008 ecotec 4 cylinder

About two years ago, I was driving a friend home when I was pulled over. The Officer said he paced me for several miles doing 125mph. I kindly offered to show him my owner's manual for the specs, but was embarrassed when I couldn't find them! I also made mention of the fact that I had literally just entered the interstate when I was pulled over.

Fast forward: I'm finally going to court over it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I need to find a way to introduce into evidence the fact that my 'Bu, as sweet as it is, couldn't do 125mph down hill with a tail wind, jet fuel, and rockets strapped on.

Here's my best idea to date - because I live about 600 miles away from the ticket, I figured I could go into the dealership to have them inspect my vehicle and confirm that the speed limiter is still in place. Some how, get something in writing from my local dealership as to this fact. Then, have another mechanic in the town the ticket is in testify as to the results and the meanings.

Here's where my hiccup is - I can't find the actual top speed of my 'Bu! And, I'm not 100% sure what the best way to determine what it could be is; like with using a dyno. I've seen varying numbers, from 104, to 110, to 115.

Its a 2008 Malibu LT2 4 Cylinder 2.4L Ecotec. The ONLY modified thing I have done engine related is replace the oil with synthetic and put on a K&N filter.

I'm sure there's a few people out there that have gotten that unfounded speeding ticket. And, I know we have the pro's out there that can help me figure out the best way to show my top speed in court; whether its just a technical service manual or what.

Btw, no radar.

Chevy Malibu 08' LT2 2.4L 4cyl:
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30
K&N Hi-Flow Air Filter
5% Tint All Around
Matte Chrome Chevy Rims
15" Kicker Competition CVR 1000 Watt 2OHM Stable
1000 Watt 2OHM Stable Monoblock Amp
Black Suede on Black Leather
Oak Trim

Acura TSX 07' Sports Package, Tuned - Stock

Previous:
Honda Accord 96' LX, Sleeper
Ford Crown Victoria 97' LTD, Murdered
Toyota Camry 96' Custom Coupe, NOS
Geo Prizm 91' <-- Gotta start somewhere!
twaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
daveyio87
CMF Junior Member
2008 Malibu 1LT
Silver

Default Re: Help With Finding Top Speed / 2008 ecotec 4 cylinder

Fuel cut off kicks in at 113mph i have gotten mine up to 125 but it took a couple of miles going slighty down hill. I was only able to do it once. But i have hit 113mph a few times where the fuel is shut off. I also had a drop in knn filter and using mobil1 with a acdelco filter
daveyio87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

My '09 3.6 V6 was able to get to 115 mph on flat highway. It was still accelerating when the speed limiter prevented further speed increase.

My '11 3.6 V6 has gotten to 116 mph while accelerating on a downhill. It was still accelerating at the time as well.

Check the speed rating on your tires. It should equate to 120 mph, and if they're still stock then the limiter has been set to cut out before it reaches that limit. Laws and sue-ers being what they are, if you were able to exceed the max speed of the tires for an extended period of time and then the tires failed, GM could possibly be involved in a lawsuit. This way their butts are covered, as is yours, since you're not likely going to suffer an accident due to tire failure from excessive speed.

The officer's speedometer was or is obviously maladjusted, and if your story is accurate (I have no reason to believe otherwise), then his vision may also need checked as well as his targeting ability. (Did he incorrectly target you after discerning another vehicle exceeding the speed limit?)

Come back and let us know the outcome.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
canadian_bacon
CMF Junior Member

Gallery: 3

Even with a large error, you were still speeding you will probably get it somewhat reduced, but not waived.
2 years to fight for a ticket? as far as i know, in Canada, if you don't get a trial in 11 months, it's out. (as a Canadian citizen, you have the right to a fair and fast trial).
In some states, Ohio for example, the officer's approximation is valid in court, with no device. Paced you say, it's valid and it will stand. Even if he cant produce documentation over when the last speedo calibration occurred, the margin is too wide for a simple error. You were doing basically double the speed limit.

Last edited by canadian_bacon; 12-06-2012 at 01:55 PM.
canadian_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Seadog69
CMF Senior Member

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_perf1.php

FWIW, the link has specs with a "theoretical top speed without governor".

Don't know how much it helps.
Seadog69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd

The 4-cyl is electronically limited to either 112 or 117 mph because of the tires. There's no way you were driving a sustained 125, period.

Keep in mind, this information is only useful in your situation if you're trying to prove that the officer pulled over the wrong individual. If you were, in fact, still speeding at 100-115 mph, you're still screwed (and deserve it).

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
twaz
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyio87 View Post
Fuel cut off kicks in at 113mph i have gotten mine up to 125 but it took a couple of miles going slighty down hill. I was only able to do it once. But i have hit 113mph a few times where the fuel is shut off. I also had a drop in knn filter and using mobil1 with a acdelco filter
thank you for the response davey

K&N Hi-Flow Air Filter
5% Tint All Around
Matte Chrome Chevy Rims
Oak Trim

Previous:
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
twaz
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
My '09 3.6 V6 was able to get to 115 mph on flat highway. It was still accelerating when the speed limiter prevented further speed increase.

My '11 3.6 V6 has gotten to 116 mph while accelerating on a downhill. It was still accelerating at the time as well.

Check the speed rating on your tires. It should equate to 120 mph, and if they're still stock then the limiter has been set to cut out before it reaches that limit. Laws and sue-ers being what they are, if you were able to exceed the max speed of the tires for an extended period of time and then the tires failed, GM could possibly be involved in a lawsuit. This way their butts are covered, as is yours, since you're not likely going to suffer an accident due to tire failure from excessive speed.

The officer's speedometer was or is obviously maladjusted, and if your story is accurate (I have no reason to believe otherwise), then his vision may also need checked as well as his targeting ability. (Did he incorrectly target you after discerning another vehicle exceeding the speed limit?)

Come back and let us know the outcome.
re visual target acquisition; i believe he did mistake my car for an impala that went flying past me.

K&N Hi-Flow Air Filter
5% Tint All Around
Matte Chrome Chevy Rims
Oak Trim

Previous:
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
twaz
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_bacon View Post
Even with a large error, you were still speeding you will probably get it somewhat reduced, but not waived.
2 years to fight for a ticket? as far as i know, in Canada, if you don't get a trial in 11 months, it's out. (as a Canadian citizen, you have the right to a fair and fast trial).
In some states, Ohio for example, the officer's approximation is valid in court, with no device. Paced you say, it's valid and it will stand. Even if he cant produce documentation over when the last speedo calibration occurred, the margin is too wide for a simple error. You were doing basically double the speed limit.
welp, here in the USA, there actually are ways to challenge a visual or sight radar certification dependent on the State. but no, i actually wasn't speeding. i got on the interstate, and then two seconds later there was a deputy flying behind me with his lights and sirens. and while yes, i agree that it would seemingly be too large of a margin to overcome through sheer logic, my defense relies on being able to show that he was intentionally misrepresenting the facts in his probable cause affidavit. ergo, i need to be able to show - from chevy or another unimpeachable source - the speed at which a stock 2.4L ecotec 2008 malibu's speed limiter engages.

K&N Hi-Flow Air Filter
5% Tint All Around
Matte Chrome Chevy Rims
Oak Trim

Previous:
Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
twaz
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
The 4-cyl is electronically limited to either 112 or 117 mph because of the tires. There's no way you were driving a sustained 125, period.

Keep in mind, this information is only useful in your situation if you're trying to prove that the officer pulled over the wrong individual. If you were, in fact, still speeding at 100-115 mph, you're still screwed (and deserve it).
Agreed. I had stock tires on at the time. There's also the mathematical discrepancy of the time he calls it in to the time he pulls me over. But, that's a whole 'nother story. He claimed I was sustaining a speed of 125mph for 3 miles continuously, with him directly behind me. I don't know if the rest of you have driven the ecotec version, but its not exactly a mach V.

K&N Hi-Flow Air Filter
5% Tint All Around
Matte Chrome Chevy Rims
Oak Trim

Previous:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.