Started the Retrofit - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
itsbmw
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Black

Gallery: 0
Default Started the Retrofit

Please excuse crappy picture quality.

Here's how they will look, I didn't seal them yet, as the seal that came on these sucked, I have some 3M Butyl Rubber Strip on the way.

I like how they turned out. I will post pictures once they are sealed and installed on the car. I am using Morimoto 3Five ballasts with 5000k Bulbs, foglights will have 3000k bulbs on 35w DDM Ballasts. Also, I'm going to tap into the high beam and use the bi-xenon function of the projectors. Halogen high beams suck, and since I painted the reflector bowl of the high beam section of the assembly the output will SUCK anyway.

Last edited by itsbmw; 12-18-2012 at 01:23 PM.
itsbmw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
RYgoBOOM
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu LT
Silver Ice

Default Re: Started the Retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbmw View Post
Please excuse crappy picture quality.

Here's how they will look, I didn't seal them yet, as the seal that came on these sucked, I have some 3M Butyl Rubber Strip on the way.

I like how they turned out. I will post pictures once they are sealed and installed on the car. I am using Morimoto 3Five ballasts with 5000k Bulbs, foglights will have 3000k bulbs on 35w DDM Ballasts. Also, I'm going to tap into the high beam and use the bi-xenon function of the projectors. Halogen high beams suck, and since I painted the reflector bowl of the high beam section of the assembly the output will SUCK anyway.
Looks amazing bro.....how much would you say this ran you?
5% Tint all around, Cool White Interior LEDs
2-SKAR ZVX-12s in a 4th order blowthru with plexi
1-SKAR Audio 5k, 3-SKAR Audio 125.4s
12-SKAR Neo Mids, 8 SKAR Neo Tweets
Fully glassed doors, rear panel, and trunk wrapped in Black Ostrich
Youtube.com/MaliBOOOOM

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 12-18-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Removed quoted images
RYgoBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
itsbmw
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuOn22s View Post
Looks amazing bro.....how much would you say this ran you?
Thanks!

The assemblies were 185 on ebay. I cannot say how they compare to OEM assemblies as I have never removed mine, OEM might be easy to pull apart too, I'm not sure about that. However these were not too bad.

As far as pricing goes:

Assemblies: 185 shipped - ebay
Projectors: 120
HID Kit: 150
They sell the HID kit and projectors as a package also for 270. I used the projectors on my last vehicle and pulled them out for this one.

Resealing butyl rubber on amazon was $10
Paint: ~$6 or 7

Not too bad considering what you get.

I had aftermarket projector assemblies on my last car before I retrofit projectors into factory assemblies. The difference was night and day.

These were my assemblies I put together on my last vehicle:

I was using a DDM HID kit, but the morimoto 3Five is said to be WAYYY better so I bought one of those for the malibu

Last edited by itsbmw; 12-18-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
RYgoBOOM
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu LT
Silver Ice

nice man looks great. Might have someone do some for me or take a crack at it on my own!
5% Tint all around, Cool White Interior LEDs
2-SKAR ZVX-12s in a 4th order blowthru with plexi
1-SKAR Audio 5k, 3-SKAR Audio 125.4s
12-SKAR Neo Mids, 8 SKAR Neo Tweets
Fully glassed doors, rear panel, and trunk wrapped in Black Ostrich
Youtube.com/MaliBOOOOM
RYgoBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Seadog69
CMF Senior Member

Relative to doing something like this - A few general questions about your average car insurance.

When you put some money into modifying your vehicle, does one tell the insurance company about the modifications? Or is it automatically covered? Or are you just out of luck if something happens?

I've never really done that to a car before (except for the stereo). So I am curious as to how insurance handles it should (God forbid) something happen.
Seadog69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
itsbmw
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog69 View Post
Relative to doing something like this - A few general questions about your average car insurance.

When you put some money into modifying your vehicle, does one tell the insurance company about the modifications? Or is it automatically covered? Or are you just out of luck if something happens?

I've never really done that to a car before (except for the stereo). So I am curious as to how insurance handles it should (God forbid) something happen.
I have full everything including comprehensive, I have thankfully never had anything happen and like you say GOD forbid anything happen. But as long as you can show it is damaged and provide receipts they supposedly pay for it. I've known people who have claimed rims and stereos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuOn22s View Post
nice man looks great. Might have someone do some for me or take a crack at it on my own!
It's definitely a fun weekend project besides the many burns and scrapes I have from the dang heat gun and screwdriver. It definitely was a pain, however seeing the end result it is worth the hassle. Definitely learn to do it yourself and take your time, that way if you get another car without projectors you can do this again!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
MNEntertainment
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Black Granite

Garage

I was going to do the same with might lights but I'm waiting until I buy a house so I can do it all in my garage. I did find blacked out lights on ebay after months of not seeing any.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290781714987...84.m1423.l2649
MNEntertainment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
itsbmw
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNEntertainment View Post
I was going to do the same with might lights but I'm waiting until I buy a house so I can do it all in my garage. I did find blacked out lights on ebay after months of not seeing any.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290781714987...84.m1423.l2649
I feel ya there. Having a garage definitely helps

I saw those too, the only reason I didn't get them is that regardless I was going to paint the reflector bowl black, so I decided to go with the cheaper OEM chrome looking ones.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Casper_
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
White

Gallery: 1

Good job this is good work! I want to try soo bad. I think I will. But instead of black I will paint mines white. Or leave some chrome and add white to certain places.

Mods: White BowTies Front and Back
White Grille, and Fog Light Bezel
White BowTies on CenterCaps
30% Tint
More to Come!
Casper_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
itsbmw
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper_ View Post
Good job this is good work! I want to try soo bad. I think I will. But instead of black I will paint mines white. Or leave some chrome and add white to certain places.

Thank you!

I'd leave the chrome reflector for the turn signal and maybe leave the shroud on the projector chrome and maybe the piece that runs between the orange reflector on the side, but then do the rest white, that would look sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.