Motor Trend: new Malibu is worst/most disappointing new car... - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Gallery: 0
Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd
Default Motor Trend: new Malibu is worst/most disappointing new car...

http://wot.motortrend.com/staff-pick...#axzz2Fw7KfLpI

Every year, Motor Trend staff members pick their favorite and least favorite cars that they drove that year. Unfortunately, for 2012, the '13 Malibu received as many votes for the least favorite car as the hugely panned Coda Electric Vehicle with three nominations each.

The general sentiment was that the car is numb to drive and completely outgunned within the midsize class on multiple fronts. If you believe there's some sort of bias involved, one of the writers simultaneously picked the Cadillac ATS as his favorite.

Here's hoping for the best from the 2014 refresh.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
mzodarg
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
White Diamond

Default Re: Motor Trend: new Malibu is worst/most disappointing new car...

To be fair, it appears that they tested an ECO "to the underpowered, drone-y engine, to the complete disconnect between the wheels and the road"

I felt the same about mine, that's why I traded it for the 2ltz.

It will be interesting to see the refresh.

Tre'
Old 12-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

That's why it's important to know what you want in a car, that way you get what you want when you are ready to buy.
Also don't put all your trust in a magazine's opinion (or anyone else's, for that matter) of what you should get, it can mislead you. Only you know what you are looking for and only you know what will make you happy after spending a good deal of money for your purchase.
The best way is to get out there and test drive the vehicle you are interested in and look it over good and you should be happy with your purchase.
Luckily there are still some people around that do it that way.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

@mzodarg - They had a 2.5L LTZ during Car of the Year testing (the 2.0T wasn't available). They found it equally disappointing, primarily because the car is so overweight and didn't address shortcomings of the 08-12 model.

@nutcrunch - They thought pretty highly of the 7th gen Malibu. It placed 2nd in the 2008 Car of the Year competition, ahead of the Honda Accord.

I like Motor Trend for their down-to-earth editors and reviews. When someone can't possibly test drive every car in the class they're shopping, magazines like MT give people a strong basis to narrow their search.

I hope GM takes notes better than they did when the 7th gen showed its weaknesses at the end of its run. If they had, the car would be very competitive. This one was a design by committee attempting to be a jack of all trades.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Why can't you possibly test drive every car you are interested in?

You should always see first hand what vehicles you are interested in and not rely on a magazine or anyone's opinion on the vehicle you are getting ready to plop down a good amount of money on.

That's nice that they thought highly of the last generation Malibu but what matters to me and the wife (since we are paying the car note and living with it every day) is what we like and we think highly of the new generation Malibu. You should always get what you like too whether it be the new Malibu, Accord, Fusion or whatever. Don't let others tell you what you should like.

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint

Last edited by nutcrunch; 12-24-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
MyMalibu13
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu ECO
Summit White

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrunch View Post

You should always see first hand what vehicles you are interested in and not rely on a magazine or anyone's opinion on the vehicle you are getting ready to plop down a good amount of money on.

That's nice that they thought highly of the last generation Malibu but what matters to me and the wife (since we are paying the car note and living with it every day) is what we like and we think highly of the new generation Malibu. You should always get what you like too whether it be the new Malibu, Accord, Fusion or whatever. Don't let others tell you what you should like.
Amen Brother
Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
MyMalibu13
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu ECO
Summit White

Garage

Another freaking magazine article...............Geez
Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Joeyavhu
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Garage

These magazines are starting to get to me. They put the Malibu last because it does not win any particular category, like most rear leg room, most power, etc. But, when it comes down to it, it does all the things together very well.

I have an LTZ and it has more front leg room than any of the competition, where is that mentioned. Out of the 20,000 miles I drive each year, I drive 15,000 of them alone, I most likely wont even have anyone in the rear seats for the life of the vehicle. I just like the extra space the door offers. Why is this not mentioned.

I consistently get 32 mpg in mine driving around. I cant complain, especially since my last was an 11 F150 Ecoboost that only got 14-15mpg (lifted, tires, etc). Its right in line with all the competition.

I had an 08 Malibu, and this one has all the stuff I love, plus looks much better. Some people say they didn't change it enough, but to me, it looks significantly better than the previous gen, and the previous gen was my favorite car.

Long story short, they are selling around here, regardless of what you magazine readers have been seeing. I like the overall vehicles as I feel it does good in all areas, maybe there are no outstanding spots, but it certainty does not do anything poorly.
Joeyavhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Yep, that's why I don't go by magazine articles alone. By the sounds of it you would think the Malibu was a terrible car. If you actually drive one then you would probably realize the magazines tend to exaggerate things.
The new Malibu is by no means perfect and has things that not everyone may like but it is not a terrible car, but if you don't check it out for yourself and go by magazine articles as gospel, then you would never know that.

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
Old 12-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrunch View Post

There are 10 mainstream midsize cars. How many people are going to test drive all of them before making a purchase? I sure as hell wouldn't. I'd pick out 3-4 I liked the best based on design and reviews.

However, GM went subtle with the redesign so interested consumers are even more likely to scrutinize reviews of the improvements and fuel economy versus competitors, whereas the new Fusion and Optima can get plenty of conquest sales with their stylish sheetmetal alone.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.