Garmin gps mounted - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Gallery: 0
Garage
Default Garmin gps mounted

Got the mount for my Garmin 2595LMT in today from Mount Guys and installed it. I thought I'd post some before and after shots of the original mount that came with the gps and the new one.

The gps originally came with a windshield mount and before I got the mount today, I had a dash disc (not included in the box) so I stuck it to the dash and then used the windshield mount to stick to it. It looked like this

It looked ok like that but I wanted a lower profile look to it and a little cleaner so I bought and installed this mount from www.mountguys.com on the trim piece between the 2 middle a/c vents.

It ended up looking like this (sorry for the cell phone night pics)

The radio is still able to tilt up and open all the way without hitting the gps. I actually could have stuck the mount a little lower but it is good like it is.
Also the power cable is pretty much out of the way but I'd still like to wire it up to the fuse box instead of using the cigarette lighter but that can come later.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
icecream1343
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 2LT
D. Tricoat White

Default Re: Garmin gps mounted

that looks pretty good! I like how you are keeping it so it looks clean and not tacky. Do you think your gonna have any problems with the air vents though since its mounted right in front of them?

Also is it easily removable? Just because if you are ever parking in a sketchy neighborhood some people might get some ideas and try to take so maybe when your parked you'll want to take it off. AND if you ever get pulled over and the office wants to be a pain, they might say it's "obstructing your view" and give you a ticket so maybe you should take it off in a situation like that!
icecream1343 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

No way it is obstucting any view the way it is now. If they think it is then they would also have to have me remove the vents
It is blocking the vents from blowing straight out but I turned them to point more to the sides. I was worried at first that it might be flat against the vents but as you can see it sits a little ways away from the vents which lets you still adjust them easily.
You can unsnap the gps easily from the mount although my wife wants to keep it up there most of the time. I warned her someone may bust into the car to steal it and to be careful though. It was a lot more noticeable to a thief when it was sitting on top of the dash. It is still noticeable just not as much as it was.

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint

Last edited by nutcrunch; 12-28-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
mzodarg
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
White Diamond

Looks good. The only concern I would have is that since it's in front of the vents would be overheating the unit in the winter. Garmin has a safety feature that reboots the unit when it overheats, just something to think about.

Tre'
Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Yea I had thought of that too. We usually always have the climate control on auto (or I do anyways) and it seems to rarely ever blow out of those vents with the heater. It likes to keep it on floor and defrost. Anyways I turned it to blow out towards the sides so that should help it.

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
Old 12-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
mzodarg
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
White Diamond

It does look much better that stuck in the windshield though!

I have the built in NAV and also use my IPAD that I have a cup holder mount for and a Tom tom app. I like the Ipad not only for GPS, but I have Verison Mifi that I keep in the console, plugged into the 110 outlet. I have NFL Sunday ticket and the IPAD app works flawlessly.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

ha ha cool!
I saw that ipad cup holder mount and also a floor seat bolt mount that I told my wife about. I told her she could put either her ipad or mini ipad in the car like that and she just laughed and said "How many touch screens do we need in the car?"

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
mzodarg
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
White Diamond

Oh but its nice when your connected via a 4g MIFI. )
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

I bet it is.
Got any pics of the ipad in it's cup holder mount? Does it get in the way of the passenger?

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
mzodarg
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
White Diamond

Quote:
Got any pics of the ipad in it's cup holder mount? Does it get in the way of the passenger?
I'll take some tomorrow, it works decent and does not interfere with the passenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.