Very Frustrated over key fob and locks - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
gwen0157
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Very Frustrated over key fob and locks

I bought my 2009 Malibu new in June 2009........since that time, my sunroof has leaked twice. This time "not under warranty" (42,000 miles). Although the first time I took it in it was covered....same issue.....same "repair".....ugh GM is "covering 55%" per the dealer....so my part is $189..I think they should cover 100% for a known issue......

My key fob won't unlock my doors or remote start my car.......AGAIN.... this is my second key fob since buying the vehicle. Don't they make things to last? Why do I need to pay another $195 for a new key fob? I don't throw my keys around or bang them. They are in my purse or on the tv.......

My back door doesn't always unlock....to fix that they have to replace the whole mechanism....$288

I can't afford to spend money on things that I've already had "repaired" by the dealer..........this is ridiculous!

I love my Malibu -- but after only 42,000 miles I wouldn't expect to be have these kind of issues - for a second time!
gwen0157 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Default Re: Very Frustrated

Very common issue that stems from a poorly designed fob (specifically the conductive paint used on the button contacts). No need to replace the fob though...just get this replacement button pad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Remote-S...919da2&vxp=mtr

Last edited by greenman; 01-02-2013 at 11:47 AM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen0157 View Post
My back door doesn't always unlock....to fix that they have to replace the whole mechanism....$288
Very common issue. And I agree with you GM should be paying for it. The other three latches will fail also. There's a fatal flaw in the part design.

Last edited by greenman; 01-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
I bought my 2009 Malibu new in June 2009........since that time, my sunroof has leaked twice. This time "not under warranty" (42,000 miles). Although the first time I took it in it was covered....same issue.....same "repair".....ugh GM is "covering 55%" per the dealer....so my part is $189..I think they should cover 100% for a known issue......
Also a common issue unfortunately.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
scott37300
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
I've had the keyfob and door lock issues. My fix for the key fob was to get an aftermarket remote start and put it in. Now have a mile range instead of the 2-300 ft for the factory remote start and a remote that tells me if the car is locked or unlocked. I still need to do the repair on my rear door, not sure if I want to get another lock mechanism or get an aftermarket actuator.

I haven't had the sunroof issue yet luckily. Greenman, is there any preventative maintenance or things I can do to not get the common sunroof leak? Should I be cleaning the tube out every so?
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
gwen0157
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Thanks greenman for your comments/advice

I was told when they "fixed" the sunroof the first time that it "shouldn't" happen again......they took tubes apart, cleaned and resealed, etc.

Not only is it happening again but I'm having to pay for a known faulty design....this is not a cheap car. It's a Malibu for crying outloud! Truly it's in a class by itself. I'm guessing my only option is to no longer use the sunroof to prevent recurrence...so in essence, I've bought a car with a nice feature that I've wasted money purchasing because I can't use it.

I do appreciate your input.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
gwen0157
CMF Rookie Member

greenman, I checked out the link you posted for the key fob. Is this to replace just the top cover? Can you guide me on how to open the key fob? my son in law couldn't get it open and didn't want to break it. We thought it was the battery.....when I asked they dealer to check it out they said it was the component (again).

Much appreciation.
Gwen
Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
greenman, I checked out the link you posted for the key fob. Is this to replace just the top cover? Can you guide me on how to open the key fob? my son in law couldn't get it open and didn't want to break it. We thought it was the battery.....when I asked they dealer to check it out they said it was the component (again).

Much appreciation.
Gwen
That is for a replacement button pad.

This shows how to separate the fob halves:

It also shows a new fix I have not tried: an insert that slips in between the button pad & the circuit board. I'll have to get myself one & try it out. But the replacement button pad for 4 bucks works fine (at least for 2-3 years). The keylessfix website appears to be the only place to get these inserts. The insert has the potential to be a long term fix for the wearing away of the conductive paint on the rubber buttons.

http://www.keylessfix.com/shop/index.php/howitworks/

You also want to check those solder joints as demonstrated in the video.

I can't explain why GM doesn't fix their longtime fob problems. It's not rocket science. Guess they prefer to sell you new fobs & charge for reprogramming the fob receiver to make them work.

Last edited by greenman; 01-02-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
LS6rally
CMF Rookie Member
2006 Cobalt SS
Silver

are your sunroof drains clogged and not letting the water drain, which causes it to come into the car? if so you can clean them yourself. try compressed air first, if that doesn't work i would try a smaller dia. hoes of some sort, you don't want to use anything that could tear the tube like a clothes hanger.
LS6rally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I have the keylessfix inserts and they fixed my issue. (Link is to my thread.)

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.