Remote start - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
cdliao
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 2LT
Grey

Gallery: 0
Default Remote start

I have 2012 2lt. I found the remote start wouldn't work in the morning and mid-night when temperature is relatively low (I live in Florida, so it is not that cold). When I drive the car for a while and re-do it in the middle of the day, it works again. Is this a setting or there is something wrong? My remote start had issue before (I mean completely failed), dealer found the problem is due to bad shifter (gear shifter), after they changed it, it worked fine until now...
cdliao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
itsbmw
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Black

Default Re: Remote start

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdliao View Post
I have 2012 2lt. I found the remote start wouldn't work in the morning and mid-night when temperature is relatively low (I live in Florida, so it is not that cold). When I drive the car for a while and re-do it in the middle of the day, it works again. Is this a setting or there is something wrong? My remote start had issue before (I mean completely failed), dealer found the problem is due to bad shifter (gear shifter), after they changed it, it worked fine until now...
You are pushing lock twice before holding the remote start button right? No check engine lights?

If so then I'm not really sure!
itsbmw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Mine has the same issue, but since I've done some modifications to the car the dealer won't look at it. They say my mods are the issue and wash their hands. BS! But rather than fire another salvo in that war I'm just gonna install an aftermarket 2-way remote and be done with it.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
cdliao
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 2LT
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbmw View Post
You are pushing lock twice before holding the remote start button right? No check engine lights?

If so then I'm not really sure!
I did it correctly. Otherwise, I wound't success during the day.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
itsbmw
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Black

Quote:
I did it correctly. Otherwise, I wound't success during the day.
I figured! just had to be sure

Have you considered aftermarket? I know some people don't like them, but I've installed one on every car I've owned(besides the Cobalt SS because it was a manual), even ones that came with a factory one. I like having a 2-way system because you know if you locked your doors, how hot it is in the car, and you get confirmation that it started!

My Viper 5704v:
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
cdliao
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 2LT
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbmw View Post
I figured! just had to be sure

Have you considered aftermarket? I know some people don't like them, but I've installed one on every car I've owned(besides the Cobalt SS because it was a manual), even ones that came with a factory one. I like having a 2-way system because you know if you locked your doors, how hot it is in the car, and you get confirmation that it started!

My Viper 5704v:
Thanks. Look cool. Do I need to modify the car electrical parts? I would like to use it once my B2B warranty is expired.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Hope you're still under B2B.

I would describe the oem remote start as a very delicate flower. A lot more than a dozen conditions have to be precisely met for it to bloom. Troubleshooting & repair of that system is not DIY friendly. You really need a dealer's help. Of course, if the problem is intermittent (as it almost always is), the dealer service adviser may just pat you on the head & shoo you out the door. If you're lucky enough to get a mechanic that's really on the ball, he might fix it on the first round. The nice thing about an aftermarket remote start is that you can eliminate a lot of the sillier conditions that must be met before the flower opens & the engine just starts.

If they wanted to create a complex system that would drive traffic to a dealer they could not of done much better than that oem remote start system.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
cdliao
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 2LT
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Hope you're still under B2B.

I would describe the oem remote start as a very delicate flower. A lot more than a dozen conditions have to be precisely met for it to bloom. Troubleshooting & repair of that system is not DIY friendly. You really need a dealer's help. Of course, if the problem is intermittent (as it almost always is), the dealer service adviser may just pat you on the head & shoo you out the door. If you're lucky enough to get a mechanic that's really on the ball, he might fix it on the first round. The nice thing about an aftermarket remote start is that you can eliminate a lot of the sillier conditions that must be met before the flower opens & the engine just starts.

If they wanted to create a complex system that would drive traffic to a dealer they could not of done much better than that oem remote start system.
Thank you. I am still under B2B. I will mention this next visiting of dealership.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
itsbmw
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Black

Quote:
Thanks. Look cool. Do I need to modify the car electrical parts? I would like to use it once my B2B warranty is expired.
No modifications, just tapping of wires. Well.. I lied, one wire has to be cut on the ignition harness, one end goes into the transponder bypass, the bypass then sends a wire out to go on the other end. But it can simply be reconnected upon removal of the system(if you ever take it out).

Regardless these cars are very easy to do a remote start on, especially with the BCM being right in the center, easy access to power wires, and the door pin wire in the BCM connector to kill RAP when the remote start runs out of time or you deactivate it via key fob.

Oh and they can't void your warranty unless they can prove that the modification is 100% what caused the problem. It'd definitely a nice addon to have
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
scott37300
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Mine has the same issue, but since I've done some modifications to the car the dealer won't look at it. They say my mods are the issue and wash their hands. BS! But rather than fire another salvo in that war I'm just gonna install an aftermarket 2-way remote and be done with it.
What mod does your dealer claim caused the remot start to not work? This would be very interesting.

I recently did the same thing and put a 2way aftermarket starter in and I couldn't be happier. The wife is also very happy now that the car will start from more than 20ft away! Also don't have to worry about the crappy chevy key fobs anymore. Solved a bunch of problems with a couple hours of work. I've put in a couple handfuls of starters over the years and these cars are the easiest I ever have done. Now have a mile range and the remote tells me if doors are locked/unlocked and if the engine is running, and temp of car and battery voltage, and many other things.
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.