CrankShaft Position Sensor-2000 Malibu 3.1L V6 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
babster3
CMF Rookie Member
2000 Malibu
Blue

Gallery: 0
Default CrankShaft Position Sensor-2000 Malibu 3.1L V6

Hello, any help would be appriciated, i just recently found out that my Crank Shaft Position Sensor is going bad on my 2000 Malibu 3.1L V6. I know it is located under the power steering pump. My question is, what do i need to do to get to it? Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
babster3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
SeaRay245se
CMF Veteran Member
2013 Malibu 2LT
Crystal Red Tint

Garage
Default Re: CrankShaft Position Sensor-2000 Malibu 3.1L V6

If I remember right that sensor is behind the crankshaft balancer....not a fun job and not one for a novice.

2013 Ram 1500 Laramie
Crew Cab W/Leather Int.
4X4 True Blue Pearl Coat
2013 Chevy Malibu 2LT
Crystal Red Tint
Leather and Pioneer
2013 Chevy Malibu 3LT
Atlantis Blue Met.
2.0 Turbo and Pioneer
2007 Harley Ultra Classic
1986 Ford Mustang
460/c6 caged and tied
1986 24' Searay 245se
1968 14' Duoboat
SeaRay245se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
RonNVA
CMF Junior Member
1998 Malibu LS

I believe the sensor that is located below the power steering pump is the camshaft position sensor. It really is not too difficult to replace, assuming you have the right tools, some mechanical ability, and are safe.

There are some good videos on how to do most of this job, and I will provide some pointers below. Basically to remove the power steering pump, you are going to have to remove the engine mount which means you will have to support the engine from below with a jack. Use a block of wood between the jack and the oil pan. Do not lift the car by the oil pan!! You just need to keep the engine from drooping too much when you remove the motor mount. Since you need to do this same operation to replace the serpentine belt, it might not be a bad idea to replace the belt at the same time (if the belt is looking damaged).

The following video gives a good look at how to replace the belt. This shows you how to support the engine, and remove the motor mount.

Once you have the motor mount out of the way, there are three bolts that hold the pump to the motor. To get to the bolts, you will have to rotate the power steering pulley around, to get one of the holes in the pulley to line up with the bolt heads.

Once the three bolts are out of the pump, do not try to force the pump out of its position. The first thing to do, is look at the back end of the pump, you will see where the fuel rail test port (schrader valve, similar to what you have on a tire) sticks out. The valve should have a plastic screw-on cap over it. You will drive yourself nuts trying to remove the pump if you don't first remove that cap. Of course, you don't want to damage the valve while removing the pump so just be careful. Take your time, and you can eventually rotate/slide the pump out of its location, without having to remove any of the connections to the pump itself. I've done this procedure twice on my '98 (replacing the sensor, and then much later doing the lower intake manifold gaskets). All I can say is be patient, and take a few deep breaths.

Once the pump is placed out of the way, it wouldn't hurt to use a rag to wipe the area around the sensor before you remove it. Follow the wire leads from the sensor back towards the alternator, and you should see where to disconnect the harness. Remove the sensor, being careful not to drop anything into the hole while you have the sensor removed. I think I put a little motor oil on the sensor o-ring before I put the new sensor back in.

These notes are from my memory, and since I am getting older you should also refer to a good manual. Also, if any of the other forum members see anything blatantly wrong with my content, please feel free to correct me. I guarantee I won't be offended...my wife corrects me all the time!

Good luck!!
RonNVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Buckeyert
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu

I am about to replace the camshaft position sensor on my daughters 2001. I have a question about your outstanding step by step Ron, If you are not replacing the belt why can't you just remove it from the power steering pump with the tensioner and let it rest below without removing the motor mount?
Buckeyert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Buckeyert
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu

I found this video. If its the same motor my thought could work
http://youtu.be/AYUSmbK8298
Old 03-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
RonNVA
CMF Junior Member
1998 Malibu LS

Sorry it took awhile to respond. I looked at that video, and while the motor may be the same, the engine mount is not. I've attached two pictures that show the power steering pump as is on my car. You can see that the motor mount sits right in front of the pump, and it interferes with getting the pump out of the way. (At least it did for me, so I removed the mount).

The second picture shows the valve to the fuel rail (in the center of the picture). That is the cap that needs to be removed to slide the pump out of the way. Also, towards the front of the car just in front of the PS pump, there is a little plastic bracket the shows the belt routing diagram. There is one small bolt (8mm I think) that hold that in place. Removing that bracket also gives you a little more wiggle room for removing the pump.

Regards,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	12962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	12970  
Old 03-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Buckeyert
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu

I just replaced mine and I did have to remove one of the mount bolts. Great info here!
Thank you
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
Buckeyert
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu

Ron
Thank you for those pictures because I had a bit of a panic attack because I thought somehow I lost a bolt to our motor mount(in the first pic it show what looks like a bolt missing)
Question, how come your power steering pulley looks so much cooler than mine? Mine just has three round holes to access the bolts.

Last edited by Buckeyert; 12-12-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
RonNVA
CMF Junior Member
1998 Malibu LS

You're welcome. A lot of folks on this forum have helped me out, so I am glad whenever I feel that I can contribute something.

I had the one just like yours, but dropped and damaged it awhile ago. I ordered a replacement OEM part from gmpartsdirect.com, and what is in the picture is what I received. I like it better than the three little hole version, since it is a lot easier to see what you are doing when trying to re-install the pump.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
hector0720
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu LS
White

That is not the crankshaft sensor, that is the cam sensor. the crankshaft sensor is located in the back of the engine block. I have to change the one in my car and looking for some advice that let me know the ease way.
hector0720 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.