Door Lock Safety - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Ericas_'bu
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu LS
Blue

Gallery: 0
Angry Door Lock Safety

Dear Chevrolet:
Thanks a lot! Thanks for using crappy parts in your vehicles! The issue with the door locks on the Malibu and several other of your cars has been addressed so many times but you have ignored it! Now thanks to you someone could have gotten hurt!

My wife is a social worker who uses her 08 Malibu to travel to different homes of juveniles whom don’t always live in particularly safe neighborhoods. On this particular day she was approached by a very suspicious person in a not so safe neighborhood but due to the door locks not working as they should she could not get into the vehicle! This is after we have already paid out of pocket to have one of the door locks repaired! This service is almost $400 a pop at our dealer! Thank God for the panic button working and other neighbors coming out of their homes!

I contacted the Chevrolet hotline whom I spoke with a person by the name of Marga who was no help at all! She basically just took my name and checked was there another recall on the vehicle! I could have done that! I called the NHTSA and filed a complaint and I hope to God that they make you fix every door lock you have ever produced!

Sorry for the rant, I just had to vent about it! But in all seriousness this really needs to be addressed!
Ericas_'bu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
SeaRay245se
CMF Veteran Member
2013 Malibu 2LT
Crystal Red Tint

Garage
Default Re: Door Lock Safety

Seems locks and handles are a problem on a lot of gm cars now.My 08 CTS has electrics that open the doors and been a known problem for years now i can't get in my drivers door unless i use the key because of some little tiny micro switch that's built into a housing that from the dealer cost 125 bucks plus labor but i just lucked out and found one on ebay for 69,will be fixing it as soon as it gets here.Just seems to me there over thinking somethings and should leave well enough alone what has worked for years and like you said its going to get someone hurt or worse...just my 1/2 cent added to it

2013 Ram 1500 Laramie
Crew Cab W/Leather Int.
4X4 True Blue Pearl Coat
2013 Chevy Malibu 2LT
Crystal Red Tint
Leather and Pioneer
2013 Chevy Malibu 3LT
Atlantis Blue Met.
2.0 Turbo and Pioneer
2007 Harley Ultra Classic
1986 Ford Mustang
460/c6 caged and tied
1986 24' Searay 245se
1968 14' Duoboat
SeaRay245se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I agree with the sentiment. Thankfully none of my locks have failed (yet). If you are even the least little bit handy you can do all 4 doors with aftermarket parts for around $50. And you won't be installing the same-ol-same-ol.

There's a thread in the How-To section on how to do it. Not hard at all. On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate it around a 3 or 4. Just takes a reasonable amount of thinking and you're done!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

I agree as well. 3 or 4 years is about all that people are getting from the original lock actuators & that is fubar.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
repairman54
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS 2.4
Carbon Mist Met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
I agree as well. 3 or 4 years is about all that people are getting from the original lock actuators & that is fubar.
2X Had to change a couple in my Yukon. Never in my 3 prev. Taurus's
repairman54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Ericas_'bu,

I am sorry to hear about your concern. I would be happy to look into this for you. Feel free to contact me pr Michelle privately with the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service (Assisting Michelle).

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Malibu Chris
CMF Rookie Member

Unhappy Re: Door Lock Safety

I am writing about my 2009 Malibu door locks.

Last May, while my warranty was still in tact, my key fobs (both of them) stopped working. It was a hassle, but I figured I just needed to get new batteries in them and all would be good.

I bought new batteries but they still did not work. Unfortunately, by the time that I figured out it was a much bigger problem…my warranty had expired.

Shortly thereafter, my passenger-back door lock stopped responding to the power lock buttons (I.e., it will only go up and down manually.)

So now, I can't get in my trunk with groceries, I can't put them in the back seat, I have to open the front-driver door with the key, then lean down and pop the trunk, go back to the trunk… quite the hassle. Not to mention a safety issue. I no longer have the security of a quick entry, I no longer have the security of locking all my doors from the driver seat, I no longer have a panic button… all sorts of scenarios where this malfunction could endanger me.

Then, it gets better, I'm driving along one day and all the locks start going haywire. Up, down, clicking like crazy. It was very disconcerting.

My mother also bought a brand new 2009 Malibu shortly after me, and now one of her rear locks is not responding to her fob or her power lock buttons.

This got me thinking that this is a widespread problem, which I confirmed by going on some Chevy Malibu forums.

I hope you can resolve this issue for me. As I am still paying $400 monthly car payments, I can not afford the $350 plus that the dealership quoted me to fix the problem.
Malibu Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.