TPMS question (again I know) - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
morando6784
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
white

Gallery: 0
Default TPMS question (again I know)

Whats up guys new owner here, picked up a 10 LT loaded very happy, my first post. Sorry im sure this is brought up lots of times on here, i looked around a bit and kinda think i know the anwser to my question but then a couple things confused me in other threads. Ive never delt with TPMS before so trying to figure it out.
My question is i want to put after market rims on my car. Do the sensors just swop over? One thread sounded like the factory rims are threaded at the vavle stem hole on wheel and they will not work on aftermarket. Is there after market sensors that work on aftermarket wheels? Can someone straighten me out please.
morando6784 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
TSquare
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LS
Gold Mist

Gallery: 2
Default Re: TPMS question (again I know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morando6784 View Post
Whats up guys new owner here, picked up a 10 LT loaded very happy, my first post. Sorry im sure this is brought up lots of times on here, i looked around a bit and kinda think i know the anwser to my question but then a couple things confused me in other threads. Ive never delt with TPMS before so trying to figure it out.
My question is i want to put after market rims on my car. Do the sensors just swop over? One thread sounded like the factory rims are threaded at the vavle stem hole on wheel and they will not work on aftermarket. Is there after market sensors that work on aftermarket wheels? Can someone straighten me out please.
I believe the TPMS includes the valve stem. So, if you are comfortable moving valve stems from one rim to another, go for it. I'm not sure what the chances of damaging the TPMS is when it is removed.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
morando6784
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
white

So the valve hole on the rim is not threaded ? Is there a nut on on outside of wheel on stem and a seal on other side of stem that hold it in place and air tight?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Speed_Freak5150
Super Moderator
2010 Malibu 1LT
Imperial Blue

Gallery: 2

You will move the sensors over to the new wheels, but the stem part should be changed out. When I had my tires replaced that is what they did.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
morando6784
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
white

So are the stems the same as any other stem or they diffrent for the sensors. So i guess what im getting at do sensors mount to any wheel, nothing special about the wheel itself?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Dilatory
CMF Senior Member
2011 Malibu LS
Gold Metallic

The valve stems are generic AFAIK however it's the valve core that is specific to the sensor.
Dilatory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Answer069
CMF Senior Member
2005 Malibu LS
Galaxy Silver Met.

Garage

As someone who had worked at a Chevy dealership I can tell you that the valve stems are NOT generic. The sensors screw onto the bottom of the valve stems on the newer vehicles. so yes you can swap the sensors but you will need to buy new valve stems because you will most likely damage the valve stem trying to remove them.
Born: 3/15/2005 Fairfax, KS
Died: 12/27/2012 Everett, WA RIP
Answer069 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
morando6784
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
white

Thank you that exactly what i was trying to find out ^^^^^^^
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
BillD64
CMF Senior Member

You should also know that not all aftermarket wheels are compatible with tire pressure sensors. The wheel's construction may not allow enough room to mount the sensor at the valve stem hole. Too solve that problem people use straps to mount them to the barrel of the wheel. Depending on the wheel spokes and where the sensors are fastened it could make the sensors harder to program if you can't get the tool close to them when the wheel is mounted on the car.

Bill
BillD64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
morando6784
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
white

what happens if you don run the senors? Is there just a pressure light on? Im getting a set of 20s and there already mounted and ready, so would it be ok if i just waited till i got around to pulling my sensors off my stocks and mount them later, it will just have that light on till i get them put on correct. Theres not some crazy setup to were it wont let me drive it is there, you never with these new vehicals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.