brake position sensor - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
jtice1984
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu ls
grey

Gallery: 0
Default brake position sensor

ok so the abs light service traction and service esc light is on.. took it to the dealer and they plugged in the tech 2 and for one code " brake position sensor open or shorted to ground" i put it in last night and the lights are still on i was wondering if there is a calibration sequence that has to be done with it? or do you think its a broken wire?

john
jtice1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Default Re: brake position sensor

Exactly which code?
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
jtice1984
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu ls
grey

"brake position sensor open or shorted to ground" the guy kinda turned the tech 2 so i couldnt see the screen... is that how they do it at chevy dealers? ill never buy another it thats the case...
Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Wow, another attack on techs just because of one person's actions!

30 years ago my wife got mad at me so all wives are unreasonable.

300 years ago some European men enslaved and sold Africans so all Europeans are slave-mongers.

Yep, makes sense to me!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice1984 View Post
ok so the abs light service traction and service esc light is on.. took it to the dealer and they plugged in the tech 2 and for one code " brake position sensor open or shorted to ground" i put it in last night and the lights are still on i was wondering if there is a calibration sequence that has to be done with it? or do you think its a broken wire?

john
A new BPPS must be zeroed out using a tech 2 though your issue may be in the harness. Have it zeroed & the code cleared & see if it comes back.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
jtice1984
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu ls
grey

sorry about that but this rant is acceptable went to another dealer they figured out what was going on and told me there was 11 faults that came up on the tech 2 all history and that the right front hub was cutting out changed the hub and seems to be good to go..... definately some guys just out there to get your money!! there first dealer was where i bought the car and they said yea we will "plug in" and let you know whats going on.... yea told me there was a brake position senor bad..... then i took it to another and said let me know whats wrong and for $115 i got the answer i was looking for and 11 other faults..... kinda funny
Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Sounds like some folks know how to do their job and some don't. Now that you've found one who will, keep going there!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice1984 View Post
sorry about that but this rant is acceptable went to another dealer they figured out what was going on and told me there was 11 faults that came up on the tech 2 all history and that the right front hub was cutting out changed the hub and seems to be good to go..... definately some guys just out there to get your money!! there first dealer was where i bought the car and they said yea we will "plug in" and let you know whats going on.... yea told me there was a brake position senor bad..... then i took it to another and said let me know whats wrong and for $115 i got the answer i was looking for and 11 other faults..... kinda funny

Jtice1984,

Sorry to hear this and I apologize on behalf of Chevy for your service experience. Glad you were ultimately able to get your Malibu issues resolved. If you would like to voice your concerns about this experience to the original dealership, please private message me your first and last name, the last 8-digits of your VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership.

Thank you for being a Chevy Customer.

Regards,
Vanessa, GM Customer Service (assisting Sara)

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
repairman54
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS 2.4
Carbon Mist Met.

Techs are like doctors, some are like Dr. Oz, some are like Dr. Kevorkian but they are both doctors.
PS , I'm a tech in the appliance field for over 40 yrs. , qualified critic.......
repairman54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

If the brake lights ( in the rear of the car) are on but your foot is not on the brake pedal, most likely the BCM 'thinks' the pedal is depressed when it isn't. The brake pedal position sensor is not a simple on/off switch like the good old days. The sensor is also most likely not the problem. Fretting corrosion on the BCM connectors will change the voltage the BCM 'sees' from the BPPS and will change the actual counts as seen on a scan tool in BCM data. The fix is to work the BCM connectors a few times to clean off the fretting corrosion and the problem will go away for a while. You can do that yourself easily by disconnecting the battery with the key off and disconnecting the BCM connectors with the blue lock lever and disconnect and reconnect the conectors a few times. Don't side load the connectors. You could also use a product like deoxit but you would need the cleaner 'D series' and the protector 'gold series' to make a lasting repair. Then the BPPS learn should be done to zero the sensor and your lights should work properly again.

Now if the ABS and traction control lights are on, that's a different story, then a bad hub bearing could easily be the cause. Through no fault of your own, you may have been given bad info from the tech working on the car. For us to help you, we need accurate info, we can't see what you see, nor can we access the codes in your vehicle. Though you may be frustrated with the tech working on your car, that tech isn't us, go see his manager and voice your concerns with him so it has a chance of being addressed before it happens to more customers.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.