Review: WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliner - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
Joeyavhu
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Gallery: 0
Garage
Thumbs up Review: WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliner

I recently purchased a full set (Driver, passenger, and rear) of WeatherTech DigitalFit FloorLiners. They are near full protectant mats for the stock carpet. They are very durable towards water, snow, dirt, and mud, having channels and reservoirs built into them to aid in capture. I purchased them directly from the manufacture, and received them very quickly. The cost was $169+ shipping which brought the total to $187. Here is what I think of them.

Packaging - 10/10
They arrived in a large box custom fit for the mats so that none had to be bent abnormally. Each one was wrapped in plastic as well. Additionally, a care guide for the mats was included.

Installation - 9/10
This part was fairly easy. You want to remove all the floor mats in place and vacuum all your carpets to remove any dirt or debris, this way your not grinding the dirt into the carpet with the new mat that is supposed to be protecting it. They are easy to line up and pretty much just snap into place. I think something mentioned them being labeled for position, but I was able to see which went where.

The most difficult part was snapping in the clips that hold it in place. As you see in the picture, the clips installed on the car from factory that hold the stock mats from moving are protected to prevent water and dirt from getting through onto the mat. Because of this, you are not able to see exactly where they line up. It is only made difficult because they were tough to clip in, so it was hard to tell if it was just being tough, or not lined up properly. To look at the good of this, at least it wont just slip off.

Quality - 9.5/10
These are sold as top-of-the-line quality mats for the automobiles. I purchased them because of the care I put into my car on a daily basis. The extra protection these offered and the love for rubber floors mats I developed from my last truck caused me to invest in such a product.

The product itself is very good. The material is nice, not like rubber at all. They have more of a plastic feel to them, which is attributed to what the manufacturer calls High-Density Tri-Extruded (HDTE) material. They are fairly rigid, yet still very limber, almost a little too much though. They are thinner than I was expecting, but thats not a bad thing. With your feet on them, they feel comfortable. The material is not slippery, although I have not tested that out when wet or muddy, but it does not seem as though they would be. The channels and reservoirs look as though they can really hold some water, and the high walls further this impression. The quality overall is good, and my only complaint would be the lack of rigidity. This applies to mostly the front mats and the back mats a little.

Fitment
For being laser measured mats, I was expecting a slightly better fit. Now, this is not to say that the fit is bad, its actually incredibly good, however, as they main thing that the company touts being how accurate the fit is, I was expecting a little more. Im probably being very harsh because of the cost and my high expectations for this product.

Rear - 10/10
The back part fit great. This is where I think the mats really shined. They line up perfectly and provide lots of protection for the carpet. Everything lines up good, right against the edges and seat track. The mat is perfectly sized to go over the hump and not have any slack or extra build-up.

Front - 4/10
The front mats (notice I don't say liners, because they are not really full liners) are both good. I wish that the drivers side extended up behind the pedals further and also closer to the seat. Anyone who is tall and keeps the seat back will have a small area that is left unprotected. The drivers side comes up the sides well, leaving only a small spot by the false pedal with any defect. It just does not seem to line up as perfectly as the rest here. The passenger side fits well, no issues there, besides the lack of coverage provided. I do wish both extended a little further forward and a little further back. Other than that, I am pleased with the fit.

Overall I would rate the product a 7/10. They are good and do exactly as the say they claim, however I do feel as though a few things could have had some minor improvements. Still I would recommend these to anyone who does not mind spending a little extra and really cares for there car. There are other options out there, so I would recommend seeing what is available and what best suits your needs.

Last edited by Joeyavhu; 05-23-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Joeyavhu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
jmz768
CMF Senior Member
2013 2.5 LT
Silver

Default Re: Review: WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliner

How hard was it to snap yours into place? Mine were very difficult and took a lot of force to finally get snapped in. I tried taking them out the other day to vacuum and couldn't remove them.
jmz768 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
Mongoose
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LZ
White Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz768 View Post
How hard was it to snap yours into place? Mine were very difficult and took a lot of force to finally get snapped in. I tried taking them out the other day to vacuum and couldn't remove them.
I used a heat gun on the cup area of the mat and they went on easy. Haven't taken them off yet.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
BBrewbaker
CMF Senior Member
2012 Malibu LS
Mocha

I got a front pair used for $60 off a member on here and they are great mats.
I need to get a pair for the back for next year.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
jmz768
CMF Senior Member
2013 2.5 LT
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
I used a heat gun on the cup area of the mat and they went on easy. Haven't taken them off yet.
So I'm guessing that you used a heat gun after having a hard time trying to install them?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Joeyavhu
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Garage

I never had to use a heat gun, I just pushed really hard for about 1 minute each. I can see were getting them off for cleaning without messing up the carpet may be an issue though.
Joeyavhu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
jmz768
CMF Senior Member
2013 2.5 LT
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyavhu View Post
I never had to use a heat gun, I just pushed really hard for about 1 minute each. I can see were getting them off for cleaning without messing up the carpet may be an issue though.
I stopped trying as I was afraid that I was going to damage the carpet. I emailed Weathertech and they suggested that I use one hand to support the carpet and tab (well, duh) while pulling up on the mat. After letting them know that that was the first thing I tried, they said they would get with engineering and see what could be done.

It's been a week and I haven't heard back so I sent them another email today, including a link to this thread so they can see that others are having the same issues.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
jmz768
CMF Senior Member
2013 2.5 LT
Silver

I just received a reply.

Sorry, that took a little while to get a thorough answer. GM makes the retention on the flooring two different ways. The retentions on your vehicle are the rarer of the two versions. We can tell you have this version because you had to “force” the grommets to snap into place. The other set up would snap on easily. We have just found out about this difference and are retooling our liner and grommets to accommodate this. Obviously, this does not help you at this time.

If you ordered directly from us, I will be happy to send you a prepaid FedEx label to return the liners for a credit. I will need the last name and zip code the liners were ordered under or the order number. If they were ordered through a distributor, you would need to contact them for the return. Getting the liner off will require you to break the top grommet.

We are developing a retention system that would correct the issue with the GM floors, but it is still in the early stages and is not expected to be fully developed until mid to late summer. I wish I had some better news for you!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
SilverSport
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 3LT
SilverIce Metallic

after picking up a pair of these yesterday directly from Weathertech and receiving the warning about fit...they do no fit in Lady P's 2013 Malibu...I asked how they were doing on the fix (thinking this would just be a replacement female fitting for the grommet) and was told that I needed to return the mats in as new condition or I would not be able to exchange for the new version that may still be 6 weeks out...

What to do...they aren't bad laying on top of the studs in the floor but they do move a little...I did not do the "force them on" method of application...

Bill
SilverSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
jmz768
CMF Senior Member
2013 2.5 LT
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
after picking up a pair of these yesterday directly from Weathertech and receiving the warning about fit...they do no fit in Lady P's 2013 Malibu...I asked how they were doing on the fix (thinking this would just be a replacement female fitting for the grommet) and was told that I needed to return the mats in as new condition or I would not be able to exchange for the new version that may still be 6 weeks out...

What to do...they aren't bad laying on top of the studs in the floor but they do move a little...I did not do the "force them on" method of application...

Bill
I'd email customer support if you have any problems. I have it in writing that I can exchange mine when the revamped version is released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.