Engine swap? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
2005 Neon Blue Malibu
CMF Senior Member
2005 Malibu LS
White

Gallery: 0
Default Engine swap?

Hi everyone, I am wanting to know what a good engine would be to swap out a LX9 with? I currently have that with about 131,000 on it. I have been trying to get a good turbo kit set up for it but I think that with that amount of miles on the car that the turbo would just break the motor or transmission.

I have contacted andysautosport.com and one of the people recomended the STS turbo kit. After seeing it on G6s it didnt look that bad, just kinda scared since their kit can be mounted under the rear of the car and it is open to people stealing it and the weather.

One thing that I had been thinking about for awhile was swapping a Impala SS 5.3 motor in but I have no idea if that would be possible without having to widen or lengthen the engine bay. Let alone bringing with the transmission for it and then all the electrical and what not. Basically I would be gutting both cars and putting everything from the SS in my Malibu. That was just an idea though.

Other then that I have no idea what a good motor would be for my car, does anyone have an idea what a good swap would be for this car?
2005 Neon Blue Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: Engine swap?

Carroll Shelby started a whole business by stuffing a big honkin' engine in an itty bitty car. If that's your dream, go for it!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd

Any high powered engine like the LS4 from the Impala SS is going to require a transmission as well, which will skyrocket the budget and you'd be better off buying a different car.

Look for a 3.5 LZ4 from the 2007+ Malibu, Aura, and G6. It's a bit more powerful and efficient than the LX9 because it has variable valve timing.

You could also try the 3.9L LZ9 from the 06-07 Malibu SS as well as the 06-11 Impala LTZ. It had 240 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque, but should still be within your transmission's power tolerance.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
adrian13
CMF Junior Member
2001 Malibu LA1 boosted!
silver

It is too much fabrication in my opinion to swap a different motor from a non N-body. It would be best to overhaul both your motor and tranny. A tranny that can handle lots of boost is the 4t65e or 4t65hd. These with custom fabricated mounts are at milzymotorsports.com. The turbo kit is offered through milzy as well. All this is very costly, just a warning. The motor, turbo kit, and tranny could cost as much as $7,000- $20,000 depending on how highly modified you want to go. An alternative is through wot-tech. Also, don't forget about tuning the pcm through HP Tuners another $500-$700 for the software plus more for a dyno tune. Next, some gauges, fuel pump and injectors, and etc...
adrian13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.