Ice Inside Windshield - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
ThugAssDA
CMF Junior Member

Gallery: 1
Default Ice Inside Windshield

Hey All,

It is just starting to get real cold here in Chicago and lately I am having ice build up in either small or very large amounts in the inside of my windshield. I read that it could be from the snow coming onto the mats, but I keep them pretty dry.

I am going to ask the dealership to see if their might be some type of air leak or something. Any other suggestions? thanks
ThugAssDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
alivingMalibu
CMF Junior Member

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Ice Inside Windshield

Wow, I've never encountered that in the winter before. You must have a good break in the windshield weatherstripping.

Got a vibration/wobble/shake problem with your 6-speed? Please post in the Dealer Problems/Service Issues section. Let's get GM to fix this!
alivingMalibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
ThugAssDA
CMF Junior Member

You know what, the other day I was taking off ice from the front of my windshield, and I knocked that strip thats right next to the windshield wipers and the actual windshield. It was really icy and I think I may have damaged it when getting the ice off the windshield.

I am going to ask the dealer to fix it...but Im not telling the dealer what I did! haha
Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
cerbomark
CMF Senior Member

if you park inside a heated garage this will happen.

2008 LTZ Malibu
cerbomark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
ThugAssDA
CMF Junior Member

I talked to the dealer and they are going to look at it for me this week, I will keep you updated with the answer.

I dont keep it in a garage, I just leave it outside. I have read if you have a lot of moisture on your feet, that it is possible for your car to do that on the inside. I tested it out last night by leaving the window cracked a little bit after it being very warm and no ice formed on it this morning....so I think the problem is on my end and not the car.

Because this car is awesome! So i doubt anything is wrong. haha
Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
schwalbach
CMF Junior Member

Gallery: 5

2009 2lt malibu, I keep it in a garage heated to 40 degrees, when about zero in the morning and take it out, I can watch Jack frost crawl from the top down about 1 inch every 15 seconds, kind of neat to watch it grow, then the engine warms up and defrost takes over and it crawls back the other way. Kind of the same issue? Must just be the shape or tilt of windshield.

On another note, what happens to the ice or moisture that is going to form on the sunroof??? where doe it go??? is there a drain on it??
Old 12-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Schwartz
CMF Senior Member

I think it is probably from the moisture on the floor. It used to happen in my old car now and then. You get in the car and have the heat blowing on the floor. It melts the stuff off your feet onto/into the carpet and continues to warm. You get out of the car and the warm water in the carpet evaporates and then condenses and freezes on the cold windshield. You come out in the morning and see the ice all over the inside of the window. That would be my guess anyway.
Splash Guards - Power Package - Body Side Moldings
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
Wisconsin Proud
CMF Senior Member

Make sure you are NOT in recirculating mode with your vent system.

Also, turn on your AC which will remove moisture faster from the interior (but obviously keep the temp in the red zone!).
Wisconsin Proud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
BillD64
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin Proud View Post
Make sure you are NOT in recirculating mode with your vent system.

Also, turn on your AC which will remove moisture faster from the interior (but obviously keep the temp in the red zone!).
The compressor will not turn on when the temperature is that low. When the system is in Defrost mode the compressor is turned on if the outside temp is high enough. Ice on the windshield is caused by a couple different factors. If it is real cold the moisture in your breath is enough to cause some icing on the inside of the windshield. The more people you have in th car the worse it can get. The other thing that can cause it is a light snow fall that gets snow into the inlet areas of the HVAC system. If there is no snow the best solution is to turn on the defroster with the blower set at max. If there is snow on the vent inlets clean the snow away as the defroster will suck it into the system and it will blow onto the windshield. As the heater core starts to warm up the snow evaporates and the moisture is blown on the cold windshield where it freezes. It will not reverse itself until the heater core gets very hot and it will take some time to melt the stuff off the windshield. I don't know of a car where this can be avoided unless it has an electrically heated windshield.

Bill
BillD64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Wisconsin Proud
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD64 View Post
The compressor will not turn on when the temperature is that low. When the system is in Defrost mode the compressor is turned on if the outside temp is high enough. Ice on the windshield is caused by a couple different factors. If it is real cold the moisture in your breath is enough to cause some icing on the inside of the windshield. The more people you have in th car the worse it can get. The other thing that can cause it is a light snow fall that gets snow into the inlet areas of the HVAC system. If there is no snow the best solution is to turn on the defroster with the blower set at max. If there is snow on the vent inlets clean the snow away as the defroster will suck it into the system and it will blow onto the windshield. As the heater core starts to warm up the snow evaporates and the moisture is blown on the cold windshield where it freezes. It will not reverse itself until the heater core gets very hot and it will take some time to melt the stuff off the windshield. I don't know of a car where this can be avoided unless it has an electrically heated windshield.

Bill
Ive been able to do it with other cars Ive had, including our Honda Pilot and a Chev Equinox. In fact, I recall reading in owner's manuals that this is effective in removing inside moisture.

I havent had to use it in the Malibu so I'll take your word that the Malibu's system is different.
Wisconsin Proud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.