Flickering Headlights - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
TONOFFUN80
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Post Flickering Headlights

I got 08 malibu that the headlights flicker when the traction control or some times the abs kicks in
just wondering if this is common

thanx Chris
TONOFFUN80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
Sparks
CMF Junior Member

Default Re: Flickering Headlights

Mine does the same thing when I first start the car and come to a stop but it usually quits after the car warms up.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Yury
CMF Veteran Member

Gallery: 18

I would say it's common. My interior lights flicker when the rear defroster is on.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
beach
CMF Veteran Member

Typical electrical power load/usage thing...when one thing sucking juice out of the system clicks on or off, another thing is similarly affected at least for that second of "click".

'08 Malibu 2LT 4-cyl...TRADED
Dark Gray Metallic, Titanium UltraLux

'09 Malibu 2LT V6...TRADED
MPGTune.com Mileage History
beach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
USA1fan
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu LTZ
red jewel tintcoat

I think it's because most recent GM vehicles use a sort of 'on demand' alternator setup. Basically, the alternator in older cars ALWAYS puts a load on the engine, producing current even when there's no need (battery's fully charged, no other real electrical loads). Newer vehicles somehow disengage (not to say no belt turning it, just sort of freewheeling the alternator) the alternators in these situations. So when the electrical load suddenly increases, the system is sometimes just a tick behind catching up, leading to a flicker of headlights, etc.

The 05 Terraza that my wife used to own was notorious for this, to the point that GM changed the design and replaced the alternator. You'd be driving down the road at night, and something or other cuts on (maybe the AC compressor), causing the headlights to briefly dim then jump back to normal brightness. Many owners reported having oncoming cars flash their lights back at them, as if they'd flashed their own. We were lucky enough that that didn't happen with us, and the problem was minimized greatly once the higher capacity alternator / reprogramming was done to ours.
USA1fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Yury
CMF Veteran Member

Gallery: 18

Btw, people are complaining about that in new generation Accords as well.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
TONOFFUN80
CMF Rookie Member

Talk To Service Department Of Locale Dealer They Say Its Normal
TONOFFUN80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
green03malibu
CMF Senior Member
2003 Malibu LS
Drk Green Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1fan View Post
I think it's because most recent GM vehicles use a sort of 'on demand' alternator setup. Basically, the alternator in older cars ALWAYS puts a load on the engine, producing current even when there's no need (battery's fully charged, no other real electrical loads). Newer vehicles somehow disengage (not to say no belt turning it, just sort of freewheeling the alternator) the alternators in these situations. So when the electrical load suddenly increases, the system is sometimes just a tick behind catching up, leading to a flicker of headlights, etc.

The 05 Terraza that my wife used to own was notorious for this, to the point that GM changed the design and replaced the alternator. You'd be driving down the road at night, and something or other cuts on (maybe the AC compressor), causing the headlights to briefly dim then jump back to normal brightness. Many owners reported having oncoming cars flash their lights back at them, as if they'd flashed their own. We were lucky enough that that didn't happen with us, and the problem was minimized greatly once the higher capacity alternator / reprogramming was done to ours.
my 03 malibu lights dim when i hit the brakes, but only for a second
green03malibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.