06 maxx needs help - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
2013 LTZ
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
Atlantis Blue

Gallery: 0
Default 06 maxx needs help

06 Malibu Maxx LT V6

Its like the interior was disconnected from the engine bay... the only thing that works on the entire car is the headlights! not the interior lights, door locks, trunk popper, brake lights.... nothing at all! The headlights turn on when the car is hooked up to the battery charger, but do not turn back off untill you take the charger off, nothing changes when you use the headlight switch, in any position. So what i'm saying is that the car is a four-wheeled flash light right now. Any input would be accepted.

I also checked the fuses under the hood, 1/2 of them are reading 12volts, the other 1/2 are reading 0v on both sides of the fuse. The main 80A fuse at the top of the fuse block is ok.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 05-23-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: 2 minutes apart - please use Edit
2013 LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
2013 LTZ
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
Atlantis Blue

Default Re: 06 maxx needs help

Lots of views... No input?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

There are also fuses at the BCM. But since yours is so new (this is in the '06 forum but your avatar says 2013) I'd take it back to the dealer for a proper diagnosis and repair. If you attempt something and end up causing an issue they can decline to fix that part.

Unless of course it's actually a 2006 and your avatar is your car and this one is another.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Was anything done to the car just prior to this issue starting? The fuses that read 0 volts, measure from the fuse test pin to battery positive, then from the fuse pin to battery negative. Either way, do you ever see anything other than 0 volts? What's the voltage at the IBCM2 fuse, the COOL FAN1 fuse and the RUN RLY fuse in the underhood fuse block?
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
2013 LTZ
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
Atlantis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
There are also fuses at the BCM. But since yours is so new (this is in the '06 forum but your avatar says 2013) I'd take it back to the dealer for a proper diagnosis and repair. If you attempt something and end up causing an issue they can decline to fix that part.

Unless of course it's actually a 2006 and your avatar is your car and this one is another.
I'm definitely posting about a 2006 MAXX, its a different car from the one I own.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
2013 LTZ
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
Atlantis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Was anything done to the car just prior to this issue starting? The fuses that read 0 volts, measure from the fuse test pin to battery positive, then from the fuse pin to battery negative. Either way, do you ever see anything other than 0 volts? What's the voltage at the IBCM2 fuse, the COOL FAN1 fuse and the RUN RLY fuse in the underhood fuse block?
The 80A fuse at the top of the block reads 12v. This is the fuse block under the hood, to the right of the battery.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 LTZ View Post
The 80A fuse at the top of the block reads 12v. This is the fuse block under the hood, to the right of the battery.
That 80A fuse is for the electric power steering only. It sort of sounds to me like you have a fuse block issue, that's why I'm asking about the other fuses. It's not unheard of to lose a portion of a fuse block due to an overheated terminal or even a failure of the block internally.

You, or somebody that understands what I asked for in my previous post, needs to start checking the J case fuses, pull them out and verify that 12 volts is present at one of the two terminals. Don't pry up on the top of the J case fuse or you'll pop the top off real easy. work them up, gently, from the sides. Once the fuse is out, verify with an ohm meter that the fuse is good. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then don't mess with it, you might create more problems.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
2013 LTZ
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
Atlantis Blue

Quote:
That 80A fuse is for the electric power steering only. It sort of sounds to me like you have a fuse block issue, that's why I'm asking about the other fuses. It's not unheard of to lose a portion of a fuse block due to an overheated terminal or even a failure of the block internally.

You, or somebody that understands what I asked for in my previous post, needs to start checking the J case fuses, pull them out and verify that 12 volts is present at one of the two terminals. Don't pry up on the top of the J case fuse or you'll pop the top off real easy. work them up, gently, from the sides. Once the fuse is out, verify with an ohm meter that the fuse is good. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then don't mess with it, you might create more problems.
You're talking about the fuses with the clear tops? I checked all them, they're good.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

So you have verified that there is 12 volts present? The fuse can be good but if there's no power to the fuse, the circuit will be dead. Your original post said half the fuses read 0 volts but you didn't elaborate as to which ones. In what ignition position are you checking the fuses? If you have the key off, half the fuses will be at 0 volts possibly. If you're in the run position, and half are at 0 volts, we need to know more info as to which ones.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
2013 LTZ
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
Atlantis Blue

Quote:
So you have verified that there is 12 volts present? The fuse can be good but if there's no power to the fuse, the circuit will be dead. Your original post said half the fuses read 0 volts but you didn't elaborate as to which ones. In what ignition position are you checking the fuses? If you have the key off, half the fuses will be at 0 volts possibly. If you're in the run position, and half are at 0 volts, we need to know more info as to which ones.
it doesn't matter which position the key is in, because nothing on interior works at all. Not the dome lights, seats, dash, radio, brake lights, door locks, running lights, mirrors... nothing. its like the battery is hooked up to the head lights and that's it. I took out all the fuses that you mentioned and verified that they are good with a meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.