Changing the drive belt tensioner on 2000 3.1... - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
smokey80015
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Changing the drive belt tensioner on 2000 3.1...

Does the belt need to be completely removed to change the tensioner? Removing the belt requires disconneting a motor mount and slightly lifting the engine.
I was hoping that it would be a simple matter of releasing the tension, unbolting the tensioner, replacing it, etc. etc.

Any help appreciated.
smokey80015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
nighthawk-24
CMF Senior Member

Gallery: 1
Default Re: Changing the drive belt tensioner on 2000 3.1...

This forum does not really cover these issues because it is for the new Chevy Malibu, but I might be able to help. What motor is it? If it is a 3.1 liter then I believe you are stuck with the information you previously posted. That goes the same for a 3.4 liter. If it is a 3.3 liter then you have to remove the belt first, but there is no motor mount in the way. You might be able to disconnect the belt and hang it over the motor mount so its out of the way untill you are done with the tensioner.
05/08 Lake Orion
Colormatched Bowties
20% Tint
nighthawk-24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Malibu Glow
CMF Senior Member

To REPLACE the belt you have to disconnect the motor mount on the passenger side of the car and lift the engine with a jack and piece of wood placed carefully on the oil pan. Mine is a 2000 with the 3.1 and I've replaced the belt on mine having to do this just to remove the belt. This goes for all N-body cars with the 3.1 and 3.4 V6.

As far as replacing the tensioner you should just be able to take the tension off the belt and slip it off the pulleys so you can access getting to the tensioner to remove the bolts holding it. Then just reverse of removal for both parts
Malibu Glow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
green03malibu
CMF Senior Member
2003 Malibu LS
Drk Green Metallic

ugh i hated changing my belt. yes, as glow said, the passenger side mount has to be removed and jacked. its a pain, but good luck with everything.
green03malibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.