How-To: Reset TPMS Sensor - Page 3 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #21
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3
Default Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
This seems like a whole lot of work for nothing. Is it absolutely necessary? I am getting mine rotate this Friday and I am not sure if I want to go to the trouble to do all of this lol.
If you don't you won't have accurate readings and it might set off the warning light. I have done it, it really takes like 5 min, easy.
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #22
Chad
CMF Senior Member
2010 Malibu LS
Gold

Gallery: 9
Send a message via AIM to Chad

I'm not sure if I am getting it done at the dealership, because I am getting an oil change at the same time. But just incase I do get it done there, how do you tell if they have done it or not?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #23
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Check the DIC for current readings, then let air out of one tire, about 2-3 psi, then check the DIC again. If the tire you took it out of is what shows as having lost the pressure then you're good. If not...

Kinda reminds me of my last "service" at Bob Hook Chevrolet on Bardstown Road here in Louisville, KY. (Not to be confused with a shop who cares.) They changed the oil, rotated the tires, and checked off all the little inspection boxes. I had to take it back to have them reset the OLM and the TPMS.

Oh, and that wasn't the worst of it. They left filthy prints all over the front of the hood and the door, and burned a quarter tank of gas to go nowhere! I took pictures before the service as a precaution since I'd been getting really tired of buying gas after every "service"! After I got the car back (and, yes, this is the service where they also damaged my door while performing warranty "service" that I posted in another thread) I took the pictures and my Garmin in to the general manager and proved to him that my car had been running for over 90 minutes and been moved only 0.7 mile! Then I showed him the picture of the gas gauge and the DIC Avg MPG - the picture showed over 1/4 tank of gas and 18.0 MPG. After the "service" it showed nearly empty and 16.2 MPG. Hmmmm, can you connect the dots? They did, then they told me to never come back. What???? Well, with such lousy service as that I don't want to anyhow!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #24
JasonZ34
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Gallery: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Oh, and that wasn't the worst of it. They left filthy prints all over the front of the hood and the door, and burned a quarter tank of gas to go nowhere! I took pictures before the service as a precaution since I'd been getting really tired of buying gas after every "service"! After I got the car back (and, yes, this is the service where they also damaged my door while performing warranty "service" that I posted in another thread) I took the pictures and my Garmin in to the general manager and proved to him that my car had been running for over 90 minutes and been moved only 0.7 mile! Then I showed him the picture of the gas gauge and the DIC Avg MPG - the picture showed over 1/4 tank of gas and 18.0 MPG. After the "service" it showed nearly empty and 16.2 MPG. Hmmmm, can you connect the dots? They did, then they told me to never come back. What???? Well, with such lousy service as that I don't want to anyhow!
I remember reading your post. I hope you reported them to everyone you can, from the BBB to your mom. That's just down right dirty BS. Dealers like that are a bad image for GM and Chevrolet.
JasonZ34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #25
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Not yet, but that option is on my list of planned events. Thanks for the support!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #26
katy12
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu 2LT
Blue

Gallery: 0

I just did the re calibrated the TPMS using the directions given, and it really was easy. Low and behold it was in the manual as well (as one response stated). My tire gauge and the monitor reading ae still different, but I am hoping that after I drive it it will correct itself.
katy12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #27
onecrazyfoo4u
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS
Gray

Yeah, my manual tire gauge always shows about 2 psi lower than what the dash shows for some reason. I'm not sure which one to trust?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #28
Tyrod
CMF Junior Member
1998 Malibu Base
Baby Crap Brown

Quote:
This sort of issue needs to be directed to the Chevrolet Regional District Manager. You may not get any personal satisfaction, and may never know what happened, but I guarantee somebody will get spanked.

In most states, a business has a right to refuse service to people with cause. But, any car manufactuer is going to very concerned with a Dealership that refuses service to one of their cars especially if that car is under warranty whether or not the service in question is warranty related.
Tyrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #29
miked5335
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu (gone) LTZ
Silver Ice/Ebony

Default Re: How-To: Reset TPMS Sensor

Thanks for the great information above. I cut down the right rear (Eagle LS2) during the week. Big slash in the sidewall. The two rears weren't in great shape anyway. Had the rear two replaced locally and the TPMS sensors were backwards. RR reading the LR and LR reading the RR. I checked here and still wasn't confident.

I called my friend who is a mechanic at a local Chevy dealer and asked him if he had a reset tool at home. He said the tool they use at work sends a signal to the car and isn't a magnet. He went on to say that he'd never had luck using a magnet and I should just "run around my car".

It was fun, worked the first time. I may replace part of my morning workout with a daily reset of the TPMS. Happy New Year.
miked5335 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #30
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCAPEMAX View Post
Strange, I Rotated my tires at 6,000 Miles. Never did this. Now I have 10,400 Miles and no lights. And mine does read the actual pressure in each wheel.
Escapemax
It's not that the sensor can't be read, which as you know by your experience it is being read. It's that, let's say the DIC says 'left front tire is low' but the tire the vehicle 'thinks' is the left front is really the left rear. The DIC will indicate LF tire pressure low instead of the correct tire, in this case the LR. There are individual 'serial numbers' to each sensor and all you're doing is relearning which serial number is where.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.