2010 Malibu ESC/Traction Service - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
tstone1
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu

Gallery: 0
Default 2010 Malibu ESC/Traction Service

The issue started in July 2011. The ESC/Traction service light came on. The car was taken to the dealership and dtc C0131 was listed. The performed the bulletin with the connectors and lube. In September 2012 same thing happens. Car was taken back to dealership. Same service was performed. June 2013 lights come back on. Car is no longer under warranty. Same DTC code as previous 2 times. Replaced a part. I was charged around $700. Two days later same lights back on. Service manager apologized saying he should have checked something. This time they replaced the electronic stability control module for $500. Why does this light keeping coming on and why can't the issue be fixed once and for all? Would this issue not fall under the goodwill policy since it was still under warranty when it started?
tstone1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: 2010 Malibu ESC/Traction Service

You should ask the dealer and/or GM that question. I don't have $700 and then another $500 if my car goes south, especially for just a light. If it was mine I'd want to know why the first part didn't solve the issue and why I'm not getting my money back.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
tstone1
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu

I have asked the dealership why they can't fix the issue and why I have to pay if this issue started under warrant. I am in a dispute with them at this time. The car is still sitting at the dealership because I refuse to pay. They told me that GM no longer had a goodwill policy and it was either your car was under warranty or it wasn't. So since the warranty expired in April I am going to have to pay. The service department has laughed at me and treated me horrible regarding this issue. I have contacted GM without avail.
tstone1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone1 View Post
They told me that GM no longer had a goodwill policy and it was either your car was under warranty or it wasn't.
Hmmmm. That's funny. I wonder what this is then.....

#11-00-89-005E: Clarification of Use - Dealer Empowerment Labor Operations and Customer Enthusiasm (U.S. Only) - (May 23, 2013)
Subject: Warranty Administration – Clarification of Use - Dealer Empowerment Labor Operations and Customer Enthusiasm (U.S. Only)

Models: 2014 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

The effective date of the requirements of this bulletin is October 17, 2012.

For some time now we have been working together to be even more focused on our customers and to put them first in everything that we do. During this time, we’ve challenged you, our dealer partners, to be assertive on behalf of our customers and make effective use of the policy and goodwill tools available so that customers are satisfied and remain loyal to their vehicle brand and your dealership.

Over the past several years, we have extended increased levels of empowerment to our dealers and our team members so that you can confidently do what is right to satisfy our mutual customers. And while this effort has been largely successful, the reality is that the strategic approach is not always consistent across different dealerships and different markets. In addition, with more and more of your employees engaged in doing what’s right for the customer, several of you have requested that we provide additional guidance to assist you in training them to make good quality decisions, on behalf of the customer, while expending resources in a cost effective manner.

It is those requests, and the desire to continually improve the customer experience that are the basis for this bulletin, in which we will be documenting guidelines to further assist you and your employees in developing a more consistent professional approach to resolving customer issues while spending resources in a judicious manner.

Policy Guidelines
Earlier in 2012, General Motors introduced Policy Guidelines to document the boundaries of vehicle Policy repairs. Now that they have been in market, it has become clear that there is some confusion on how and when to use them. To simplify the process, GM is launching a revised set of guidelines that are documented below.

The Policy guidelines are being used to:

•Create a Policy strategy which drives increased service and sales retention.
•Develop consistent decision making practices / processes among Dealers, Field and CAC representatives.
•Document mandatory minimum customer / dealer participation amounts at varying time and mileage intervals once a decision to provide assistance has been made.
The Policy guidelines are NOT being used to:

•Discourage taking care of our customers.
•Impose a rigid “one size fits” all approach to issue resolution.
•Drive a particular decision – the guidelines are only to be used after a decision to assist has been made.
•Disregard facts or circumstances that make a particular customer’s situation unique.

Maybe your dealer needs to review bulletin 11-00-89-005E dated May 23, 2013. There is a whole lot more to this bulletin, I won't put the whole thing up here, more info than I feel comfortable letting loose since one member here has issues with my post content.

Did you notice whether the cruise control works when this happens? Do your brake lights come on even though your foot is not on the brake when the ESC and Traction lights come on? I'm inclined to think this is a wiring issue or a terminal fretting issue. Sometimes just cleaning the corrosion off by working the connector and applying the grease isn't enough. Sometimes the terminals need to be replaced on the BCM connector for this circuit and then apply the grease. Would be nice to see the brake pedal position sensor counts but you need tools you don't have access to. Let me know about the cruise control and the brake lights.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 06-28-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone1 View Post
I have asked the dealership why they can't fix the issue and why I have to pay if this issue started under warrant. I am in a dispute with them at this time. The car is still sitting at the dealership because I refuse to pay. They told me that GM no longer had a goodwill policy and it was either your car was under warranty or it wasn't. So since the warranty expired in April I am going to have to pay. The service department has laughed at me and treated me horrible regarding this issue. I have contacted GM without avail.
Only GM can make that decision since they would have to reimburse the local dealer for the work. There is a GM CS agent that regularly visits this forum. Perhaps they might help. Since it was the same DTC every time I think your case is pretty strong but they may disagree.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

tstone1,

I apologize that you have had such a difficult time correcting your vehicle issues. If you would like for us to look further into this we would be more than happy to do so.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.