2013 LTZ Backup Camera - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Otis
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LTZ
Silver

Gallery: 0
Default 2013 LTZ Backup Camera

It was stated in a CNet car review of the 2013 Malibu that the backup camera was basic with no guide lines or other assists. Upon buying mine I found that observation confirmed. However reading through the manual I found that there was a config menu option to turn "guide lines" on. I immediately went to the vehicle to do so. Guess what? No option listed. The only option available is to turn the camera off.

Wonder why the guide line option made it to the manual and not to the vehicle? Might it be possible that this option could be available in a future software upgrade??
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
joelw
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 3LT Turbo
Taupe Gray

Default Re: 2013 LTZ Backup Camera

I seem to recall that there is a licensing issue, and Chevy did not want to pay the licensing fee to use those guide lines. Anybody else remember this? I searched for a thread on the forum, but couldn't find it.
joelw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

There were guidelines in the early ECO models with navigation. Those navigation equipped cars did not have Bluetooth streaming audio nor did they have the Pandora and Stitcher apps. Later they added those features back in but mysteriously took out the guidelines.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
mzodarg
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
White Diamond

Had them on my Malibu ECo, don't have them on the 2LTZ. Camera clarity is also not as good as it was on the eco.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
chevyorange
CMF Veteran Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Grey Metallic Taup

Send a message via MSN to chevyorange Send a message via Yahoo to chevyorange Send a message via Skype™ to chevyorange

At first I was disappointed to not have the lines but just like mirrors, I've learned the "dimensions" of the camera enough to parallel park/back up without contact to my bumper.

I wonder what the licensing fee was for a huge company such as GM. It could have made up a little for the 2/3 baked MyLink system.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Hello all,

I have done some research in regards to the guidelines. Only models with an RPO code of UEW or UYS will have the guideline options. They were available on some of the 2012's with navigation, but not the 2013's. Please note, the rear park assist package does not include the guidelines. This feature can not be added.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Otis
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LTZ
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello all,

I have done some research in regards to the guidelines. Only models with an RPO code of UEW or UYS will have the guideline options. They were available on some of the 2012's with navigation, but not the 2013's. Please note, the rear park assist package does not include the guidelines. This feature can not be added.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Note to GM: Remove that from the manual.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Erica Tiffany you are only partially correct. The early 2013 Malibu ECOs with navigation did have the guide lines.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.