Steering Questions on 2009 LS (4 Cyl w/electric power steering) - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Speedster
CMF Senior Member

Gallery: 0
Default Steering Questions on 2009 LS (4 Cyl w/electric power steering)

Like the topic says, I have a 2009 with the 4 cyl and electric power steering. So folks with the hydraulic power steering might not have this issue.

The handling on the 'bu is good. It is composed in the corners and confidence inspiring. Very easy to control, and that's a good thing! The feel of the steering, though, isn't real tight. It feels like the steering wheel is kinda loose and/or the power assist is boosted pretty high. Does anyone agree with this? Maybe it's just me. (My other car is a Miata with super tight steering, so it could be just me:-)

Also, in my car, the steering wheel has to be very slightly turned to the left in order to keep the car going straight. I think this is just a correction for the crown in the road, but I'd like some other feedback. I already had the dealer look at the alignment, and they said it is right on. I also made sure the tires are all inflated perfectly, so that's not the issue. Do other drivers notice that the steering wheel is very slightly off center turning toward the left on a crowned road? And when I say very slightly off, I mean the bottom of the steering wheel is mabye 1/2 inch off from the center position.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Schwartz
CMF Senior Member

Default Re: Steering Questions on 2009 LS (4 Cyl w/electric power steering)

I believe we have discussed the feel of the steering and most thought the same as you do. If you search you might be able to find the thread. I thought the same thing of mine but I guess you just get used to it because I don't really notice it now. I'm still on the stock Hankook tires that came with mine and I am beginning to think they have a lot to do with how it feels more than the electric steering. When I need to get some tires next time I will definitely get something better.

I never noticed any alignment problems with my steering.
Splash Guards - Power Package - Body Side Moldings
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
schwalbach
CMF Junior Member

Gallery: 5

My feelings on the steering is that it is the nature of the beast and you do get used to it, but unlike my 2001 Saturn, you don't dare point it and forget about it, you need to constantly pay attention, and the alignemtn was also verified. My 15 1/2 yr daughter drove it for the first time today after driving the Saturn for aawhile and said "what is up with your steering". So it is noticably different! But you do get used to it!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
BillD64
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
Also, in my car, the steering wheel has to be very slightly turned to the left in order to keep the car going straight. I think this is just a correction for the crown in the road, but I'd like some other feedback. I already had the dealer look at the alignment, and they said it is right on. I also made sure the tires are all inflated perfectly, so that's not the issue. Do other drivers notice that the steering wheel is very slightly off center turning toward the left on a crowned road? And when I say very slightly off, I mean the bottom of the steering wheel is mabye 1/2 inch off from the center position.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas!
The steering wheel can be off as you describe and the alignment right on. This can happen with any car. It is a matter of how the tie rods are adjusted to set the front toe. If the steering wheel wasn't centered when the toe was set the toe isn't centered and the steering wheel will turn slightly to center the front toe.

If the rear tie rods are misadjusted so the toe isn't centered the car will dog walk since the whole car twists to correct the situation.

Bill
BillD64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
malibudragon
CMF Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to malibudragon

I can tell a difference in ours.. When I drive the 4 cyl the steering wheel feels very loose compared to my daily driver with the v6
Old 04-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
peterh
CMF Senior Member
09 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite

Having had the electric steering in my 05 (V6), and now having the hydraulic on the 09 there is a noticable diference.

Interesting is that I now feel the torque steer much more than with the electric steering and the first time I floored the car it was a bit disconcerting.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
slhaas
CMF Senior Member

Gallery: 13

The electric wouldn't have the direct feedback like the hyrdraulic, so torque steer isn't as big of an issue. The electric steering also may feel looser, though it's not, because it doesn't have any direct pressure feedback coming from the hydraulic system. The benefit to the electric is that, once you are used to it, it can be quick to respond, it is easy to steer, causes less problems in some people with over/under correction in sloppy weather, etc. I prefer the feel of the hydraulic, though.
slhaas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
peterh
CMF Senior Member
09 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhaas View Post
I prefer the feel of the hydraulic, though.
Have to agree with on that! But was just giving my experience with the electric steering vs hydraulic
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Speedster
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD64 View Post
The steering wheel can be off as you describe and the alignment right on. This can happen with any car. It is a matter of how the tie rods are adjusted to set the front toe. If the steering wheel wasn't centered when the toe was set the toe isn't centered and the steering wheel will turn slightly to center the front toe.

If the rear tie rods are misadjusted so the toe isn't centered the car will dog walk since the whole car twists to correct the situation.

Bill
Thanks for the info, Bill. So -- do you think my car is ok as-is? Like I say, the steering wheel is only very slightly off-center. Perhaps 1/2 inch at the bottom of the steering wheel, if that makes sense.

THanks.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
tdelp
CMF Rookie Member

Have 13,000 mi on my 2009. At 1st I was concerned. Steering felt loose. Though it wandered alot. 1st electric steering system. After a few weeks I got used to it. No longer an issue.
tdelp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.