New 2014 Malibu vs 2013 - Page 3 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #21
BruEmbry
CMF Junior Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Champagne

Gallery: 0
Default Re: New 2014 Malibu vs 2013

I took a look at the new 14, but really the front end changes does't matter much. What was interesting was how Chevy has removed features and raise the price. I'm very thankful that I purchased my 2013 2SA. Its loaded compared to the 2014's at the same price.
BruEmbry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruEmbry View Post
I took a look at the new 14, but really the front end changes does't matter much. What was interesting was how Chevy has removed features and raise the price. I'm very thankful that I purchased my 2013 2SA. Its loaded compared to the 2014's at the same price.
Not trying to bash your car, but the '14 has 25/36 mpg fuel economy standard, there's no way your Eco matches the new one price-per-option when it added about $1500 to the price of a similarly equipped LT or 2LT.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
chevyorange
CMF Veteran Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Grey Metallic Taup

Send a message via MSN to chevyorange Send a message via Yahoo to chevyorange Send a message via Skype™ to chevyorange

I'll disagree here now that I'm coming up on a year of Eco ownership. My pure highway mileage is (surprisingly) +1 or 2 of rated and my city driving is at worst 23. Often times my mixed city and stop and go is 24 and average of everything is 26.5 - 27.3.

I frankly was astounded at my first 3+ hour road trip returning 38-39MPG, I had to double check the window sticker.

I think for me the difference between now and six months ago is I've learned how to drive the car for economy... Kinda like the opposite of my 17 year old me learning how to power shift my 4-speed in my Camaro at midnight drags! In fact, mastering the latter made mastering the former more difficult.

I'd probably be happy with either model but must say I'm over happy with the mileage plus the things that were removed (particularly the electric parking break) give me what normally may have been buyers regret but nope.

I'd hope the 2014 with Autostop matches or exceeds the older (my model) but if it does I doubt it'll be by more than a nose.

I'd be interested in if I could go back and have the choice with the differences.

I can say one thing for sure, I was given a rental 2012 and while not a bad car, the steering, chassis, NVH, amenities, etc. without a doubt eclipse the Gen 7. It's not to say the 7 was a bad car (it's not, I almost bought one) but I think the question is more that than the incremental degrees of difference of 13s & 14s.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #24
BruEmbry
CMF Junior Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
Not trying to bash your car, but the '14 has 25/36 mpg fuel economy standard, there's no way your Eco matches the new one price-per-option when it added about $1500 to the price of a similarly equipped LT or 2LT.
Not true! Actually I order my 2SA with leather,other goodies and when compared with the 2LT + price of the Leather and other optional my car was only $115 more. That means I got E-Assist for $115.

I priced a new 2014 Eco (before Chevy drop the Eco) with all of the same optional s and standard features and the price came out to more then $34,000.

As for fuel economy, the 2.4/E-Assist has better real world fuel economy then the 2.5 with start/stop. The E-Assist system provides for an 25% increase in efficiency over a similar size engine without E-Assist. At best you may achieve an 15% increase in fuel economy with the Start/Stiop in city driving. So how did Chevy achieve a highway fuel economy increase of 2 mpg when comparing the 2014 to the 2013 when they did not make any changes to the engine?

And then there is the performance. I drove an 2.5 2013 and it does not perform as well as the 2.4 E-Assist. I now have just under 10,000 miles on my 2013 and the Malibu has been 100% trouble free. I am glad that I have the 2013.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #25
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Just went to the Chevy site and looked at a 2014 2LT compared to the 2013 ECO with power and convenience package.
The ECO w/P&C is $870 more.
The 2LT has everything the ECO w P&C does (excluding the extra Eassist features of course, the rearview auto dimming mirror and the electric parking brake) plus it adds on the following...
18" wheels
spare
road emergency tool kit
fog lamps
mirrors with turn signals
leather shifter knob

I believe that covers all the differences option wise
Yes you can go cheaper and get the 2014 2LT. I'm perfectly happy with our 2013 ECO though.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint

Last edited by nutcrunch; 12-07-2013 at 08:02 AM.
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #26
tradosaurus
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu Eco 1SA
Silver

Well considering that there are no Eco's for 2014 might as well get a 2LT if it's cheaper.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
jmgarcia12
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Well considering that there are no Eco's for 2014 might as well get a 2LT if it's cheaper.
There are some 2014 Eco's floating around (not in production anymore though)...
jmgarcia12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #28
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Quote:
Not true! Actually I order my 2SA with leather,other goodies and when compared with the 2LT + price of the Leather and other optional my car was only $115 more. That means I got E-Assist for $115.

I priced a new 2014 Eco (before Chevy drop the Eco) with all of the same optional s and standard features and the price came out to more then $34,000.

As for fuel economy, the 2.4/E-Assist has better real world fuel economy then the 2.5 with start/stop. The E-Assist system provides for an 25% increase in efficiency over a similar size engine without E-Assist. At best you may achieve an 15% increase in fuel economy with the Start/Stiop in city driving. So how did Chevy achieve a highway fuel economy increase of 2 mpg when comparing the 2014 to the 2013 when they did not make any changes to the engine?

And then there is the performance. I drove an 2.5 2013 and it does not perform as well as the 2.4 E-Assist. I now have just under 10,000 miles on my 2013 and the Malibu has been 100% trouble free. I am glad that I have the 2013.
Fuel economy - it's impossible to say the eAssist Malibu has better real-world fuel economy than the 2014 2.5L without testing both extensively back to back. The comparison you mention is using the outdated 2.4L with vs without the mild hybrid system, so obviously the difference would be more noticeable.

The EPA was about to reduce the Malibu Eco fuel economy to 25/36 before Chevy dropped the model, so it would have had identical fuel economy to the more modern 2.5L engine with start stop. Additionally, for 2014, the 2.5L has been upgraded with variable lift, which is responsible for 2 mpg highway and 1 mpg combined before taking start/stop into account.

Performance - early versions of the Malibu 2.5L had a programming issue that resulted in sub-par acceleration. A reflash fixed the issue and according to Car & Driver, the 2.5L Malibu is quite a bit faster from 0-60 (7.7 sec vs 8.1 sec) and also a bit faster in the 1/4 mile (16.1 sec vs 16.3 sec).

If you like your car, that's nothing to argue about. I love mine, and it's clearly outdated. Nothing can take away my pride of the only Chevy Malibu with a high-revving DOHC V6 designed for Cadillac performance.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #29
BruEmbry
CMF Junior Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
Fuel economy - it's impossible to say the eAssist Malibu has better real-world fuel economy than the 2014 2.5L without testing both extensively back to back. The comparison you mention is using the outdated 2.4L with vs without the mild hybrid system, so obviously the difference would be more noticeable.

The EPA was about to reduce the Malibu Eco fuel economy to 25/36 before Chevy dropped the model, so it would have had identical fuel economy to the more modern 2.5L engine with start stop. Additionally, for 2014, the 2.5L has been upgraded with variable lift, which is responsible for 2 mpg highway and 1 mpg combined before taking start/stop into account.

Performance - early versions of the Malibu 2.5L had a programming issue that resulted in sub-par acceleration. A reflash fixed the issue and according to Car & Driver, the 2.5L Malibu is quite a bit faster from 0-60 (7.7 sec vs 8.1 sec) and also a bit faster in the 1/4 mile (16.1 sec vs 16.3 sec).

If you like your car, that's nothing to argue about. I love mine, and it's clearly outdated. Nothing can take away my pride of the only Chevy Malibu with a high-revving DOHC V6 designed for Cadillac performance.
I just love it how you guys continue to quote EPA numbers. They are numbers base on a standard drive cycle. The EPA numbers are not real and are a reference. Real MPG is going to be effected by driving style and # of passengers and amount of luggage. The Variable lift for the 2.5 started for the 2013 model.

As for performance and acceleration, it takes ~ 4000 to 5000 miles before these new Ecotec motors to achieve their maximum power(brake-in period).
I noticed a boost in power from when my car was new vs 1000, 3000 and finally 6000 miles. I also notice that the e-Assist system obtained more smoother operation as the mileage increased.

As for efficiency and economy, the 2.4 with e-Assist will beat the 2.5. And here how. Every time the car is slowed downed or stopped, the eAssist goes into Re-gen mode, store forward momentum by charging the battery. When accelerating the e-Assist system will add additional power to the engine in other words returning the power stored in the battery to assist in the forward motion of the car.

When cruising down the road, and you descend a hill, the e-Assist will turn off the gas to the engine and go into re gen. The e-Assist will modulate the re gen to maintain the current speed of the car as it descends a hill.

When ascending a hill the e-Assist will use the energy stored in the battery to provide the additional power required.

The 2.5 with stop/start does not use re-gen. All power that is used during stop/start operation for the 2.5 is generated by the cars alternator.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #30
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Quote:
I just love it how you guys continue to quote EPA numbers. They are numbers base on a standard drive cycle. The EPA numbers are not real and are a reference. Real MPG is going to be effected by driving style and # of passengers and amount of luggage. The Variable lift for the 2.5 started for the 2013 model.

As for performance and acceleration, it takes ~ 4000 to 5000 miles before these new Ecotec motors to achieve their maximum power(brake-in period).
I noticed a boost in power from when my car was new vs 1000, 3000 and finally 6000 miles. I also notice that the e-Assist system obtained more smoother operation as the mileage increased.

As for efficiency and economy, the 2.4 with e-Assist will beat the 2.5. And here how. Every time the car is slowed downed or stopped, the eAssist goes into Re-gen mode, store forward momentum by charging the battery. When accelerating the e-Assist system will add additional power to the engine in other words returning the power stored in the battery to assist in the forward motion of the car.

When cruising down the road, and you descend a hill, the e-Assist will turn off the gas to the engine and go into re gen. The e-Assist will modulate the re gen to maintain the current speed of the car as it descends a hill.

When ascending a hill the e-Assist will use the energy stored in the battery to provide the additional power required.

The 2.5 with stop/start does not use re-gen. All power that is used during stop/start operation for the 2.5 is generated by the cars alternator.
You're still assuming your eAssist is more efficient without any real-world evidence. Our current members with the Malibu Eco typically achieve 24-25 mpg city and 35-37 mpg highway. Real world '14 fuel economy remains to be seen as new owners have have only just begun joining the forum.

If the eAssist tech was applied to the new 2.5L, it would certainly boost fuel economy. However, it's saddled with the out-dated 2.4L for primary power. GM discontinued the 2.4L eAssist Malibu SPECIFICALLY because the updated 2.5L powertrain made it obsolete.

Intake Valve Lift Control/Variable Lift on the 2.5L engine is brand new for '14. The '13 2.5L does not have it. It's the first application of new engine tech for GM, you may be confusing it for Variable Valve Timing which has been around for a while.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.