Emblems, Traction Control, ECS - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
twaz
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Post Emblems, Traction Control, ECS

I just wanted to know exactly what was happening when I hold the traction control button down for like 10 seconds and it says ECS off?

Any ideas why my 08 LT2 4 cyl is sluggish off the line but a beast after 25?

I was tempted to remove the gold from the emblems today, but I need to know how to do it without screwing it up. Any suggestions? I haven't been able to find any replacement chrome emblems (i HATE gold). I don't want to use vinyl, and am willing to have it custom made if need be. I noticed on earlier threads some fella was giving a fabricator measurements. Anybody know what happened with that?

This is my first chevy. So far, decent. I've put on 28k miles though, and have only changed the oil. What else should I do to make this baby run better? Haven't found any aftermarket air or tuners available.
twaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #2
bromley
CMF Junior Member

Default Re: Emblems, Traction Control, ECS

It'll get a little better off the line. I have a touch over 40k on mins and it's better than it was at 20k. You could make yourslef your own cold air intake if you're a do-it yourselfer. I made my own stage-3 that I can reduce to a short ram when the winter months are here. Polished aluminum, red silicon couplers, aluminum bung for your air flow sensor, and K&N cone.
bromley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Yefeng
CMF Senior Member

well ECS is the stability control so you dont really wanna take that off, and turning off traction control really does nothing as the 2.4 doesn't have the same bite the LTZ has.
LTZ Tail lamps w/V-LED HPW

More to come~

Currently working on bringing my car back to it's orginal glory due to the fact I loaned it to a moron.
Yefeng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
hoahai
CMF Senior Member

Not recommend to turn off ECS. Not sure why you wanted it off. I had good experience with it one time: When I had a sharp left turn on a rainny day, my car rolled to the right lane. Before I could make any reactions, I felt my car was taken over by another force, and it got back on track in a matter of a second. I believe that was the ECS
Old 10-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
twaz
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoahai View Post
Before I could make any reactions, I felt my car was taken over by another force, and it got back on track in a matter of a second. I believe that was the ECS
It was the force

Chevy Malibu 08' LT2 2.4L 4cyl:
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30
K&N Hi-Flow Air Filter
5% Tint All Around
Matte Chrome Chevy Rims
15" Kicker Competition CVR 1000 Watt 2OHM Stable
1000 Watt 2OHM Stable Monoblock Amp
Black Suede on Black Leather
Oak Trim

Acura TSX 07' Sports Package, Tuned - Stock

Previous:
Honda Accord 96' LX, Sleeper
Ford Crown Victoria 97' LTD, Murdered
Toyota Camry 96' Custom Coupe, NOS
Geo Prizm 91' <-- Gotta start somewhere!
twaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
BillD64
CMF Senior Member

Electronic stability control uses the ABS brake system to apply a single brake to correct vehicle yaw. There is a steering sensor that is connected to the steering shaft that tells the system where you are pointing the car. The EBCM uses readings from other sensors in the car to determine how well it is reacting to your steering input and then it applies the appropriate brake to make the car swing in the direction you want to go. If you are on a slippery road and turn left but the car tends to slide wide and not respond quickly to your steering input the ESC can apply the left rear brake to cause the front end to swing more to the left.

Bill
BillD64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
E_Net_Rider
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD64 View Post
Electronic stability control uses the ABS brake system to apply a single brake to correct vehicle yaw. There is a steering sensor that is connected to the steering shaft that tells the system where you are pointing the car. The EBCM uses readings from other sensors in the car to determine how well it is reacting to your steering input and then it applies the appropriate brake to make the car swing in the direction you want to go. If you are on a slippery road and turn left but the car tends to slide wide and not respond quickly to your steering input the ESC can apply the left rear brake to cause the front end to swing more to the left.

Bill
Are you absolutely sure of your description? It makes sense if you are saying the front lost traction.
What would happen if I was cornering right from a side street to the inside lane and the rear end broke loose? Or what should happen because I had to let off it and start a counter steer to stop the rear end from coming around.
E_Net_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
bballr4567
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Net_Rider View Post
Are you absolutely sure of your description? It makes sense if you are saying the front lost traction.
What would happen if I was cornering right from a side street to the inside lane and the rear end broke loose? Or what should happen because I had to let off it and start a counter steer to stop the rear end from coming around.
Yes, he is correct. You do not want to brake the wheels that are sliding as they will cause them to go even further. You only want the wheel to do one thing at a time. If you try to turn and then try to make it stop then it will take longer to do both at one time. Make sense?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3

Traction control goes off first, then the ESC. Even with both off the car can override you. The torque management programmed into the ECU is excessive.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #10
E_Net_Rider
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
Yes, he is correct. You do not want to brake the wheels that are sliding as they will cause them to go even further. You only want the wheel to do one thing at a time. If you try to turn and then try to make it stop then it will take longer to do both at one time. Make sense?
Thanks, but you see I had to ask because it seemed that the system did not do as it should. My understanding is that it should have detected that the rear was sliding sideways to the left and should have actuated corrective braking at the left front along with possibly cutting power. Neither happened and no lights actuated. No TCS would make sense since I did not loose traction on the front and no ABS because I was not braking, but should not I have gotten an ESC light?
It would be nice to know exact parameters of how the package of three work and what to expect of them.
I'm not sure that I should be happy that I was able to react quicker than the system or not?
Did I find a weak spot in the system? Or possibly a failure? It sounds as if the system is reprogramable and wonder if a certain parameter needs to be calibrated to say specific tires. Tires are the number one suspect of why I got into that situation, but then the rear of the vehicle also has to be considered. Maybe not enough weight on tires for my maneuver or possibly alignment. The latter certainly could have had influence as I was just getting it back for complaint of EPS and they did an alignment. The change on the rear may have induce dog tracking to left, which it feels like it is, and that would have caused the vehicle to have excess lateral force in that direction. ~3000 miles later, alignment has shown itself to be improper because of extreme feathering of outer rib on left front tire. Without getting car in air it would be near impossible to check for other wear patterns. Still less than 5K miles.
E_Net_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.