Service Traction and ESC - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
Delphi_Man
CMF Junior Member
2008 2LT
Silverstone

Gallery: 0
Default Service Traction and ESC

Once in a while, I get the message to service traction and ESC. Now the wrinkle to all of this is that, if I turn the car off and restart, it goes away. Anyone have this issue? It has happened a few times now and is never there when I restart the next time.

Thanks.
Delphi_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
GTPMALIBU
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu SS 2.4/4
Granite metallic

Send a message via AIM to GTPMALIBU
Default Re: Service Traction and ESC

go to the dealer and have them check your cat.
08 LT "SS" 2.4/4speed, Katzkin leather,E&G grills,chrome b pillars, chrome door handles, Inalfa sunroof, "lip" spoiler. 5%/20%tint, K&n filter, 2 Boston Acoustic G1 subs/1000watt Kenwood amp, EBC yellow stuff brake pads.
98 GP GTP 11.98@115

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...out_207724.htm
GTPMALIBU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Yefeng
CMF Senior Member

I had a similar problem which was due to using bad quality gas, however after running it dry a few times it kinda fixed itself. However I feel the cars acceleration is sluggish now...
LTZ Tail lamps w/V-LED HPW

More to come~

Currently working on bringing my car back to it's orginal glory due to the fact I loaned it to a moron.
Yefeng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
triplex-08
CMF Junior Member

if the service traction control light is on, or service stability, then its not powertrain related. not a cat, has nothing to do with poor fuel. unless the engine is misfiring, or other concerns exist with drivability. if not, then its not going to disable the stability system.

the reason that it resets after you turn the car off, is because it IS resetting itself. when it comes on, you need to take it to the dealer, do not shut off the car, take it directly to the shop, tell them to test it without shutting it off. the problem is current when the light is on. most likely - it is a wheel speed sensor failing intermittently, or wiring from the electronic brake control module to one of the wheel speed sensors. fixed several of them for various rear hub failures, few front hubs, had open circuits in the wiring to the wheel speed sensors, and even have had failed EBCM's. you wont know until the vehicle is tested. there will be a chassis DTC in the EBCM for the fault.

currently driving- 09 Chevy Impala LT, 83 Chevy Camaro Z28
triplex-08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
dominogold
CMF Junior Member

Well my service ESC and service traction came on and it killed my car in the middle of the freeway. Lost all power immediately and it won't start.
dominogold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Delphi_Man
CMF Junior Member
2008 2LT
Silverstone

Thanks Triplex. I will do that as soon as it happens again and I have time to do so.
Delphi_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
CarlsSS
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi_Man View Post
Once in a while, I get the message to service traction and ESC. Now the wrinkle to all of this is that, if I turn the car off and restart, it goes away. Anyone have this issue? It has happened a few times now and is never there when I restart the next time.

Thanks.
Just curious, have you had this error re-occur yet? The reason I ask is I had this very same thing happening to my HHR SS on/off for almost 6 months. I think they finally nailed it down this time. It was in and out of the shop about 4 times, the last time for 11 days!

I was getting a P2138 code that current with mine and it ended up being a burned wire in the wiring harness. They had replaced the entire pedal assembly first, but that didn't solve it. This time they had to relace all of the leads between the throttle pedal assembly that went to the ECM. Looks like that was a total of 5 wires, but I do not know how many connectors.

Good luck!
70 Firebird Formula, 400 4bbl, 4spd., 200K+ mi.

Last edited by CarlsSS; 10-18-2009 at 04:38 PM.
CarlsSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Brossard
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu 2LT
Imperial Blue

I took delivery of a 2008 Malibu LT2 tonight at 8 pm . When driving to my home, the car started to brake by itself when I took off my feet from the gas pedal to a complete stop in a relatively short distance without using my brake pedal. When I stated to give gas, It felt like I was towing a charge heavier than my car. Suddenly a chime with the ESC yellow light blinking and the ''Service ESC'' message appearing on the DIC. So I decided to stop to the closest Chevrolet dealer from where I was at this point arriving there at 8h30.

The service dept was close but the receptionnist at the showroom took care of me like a was already a client with a car bought at this place and it was the first thing I told her that I just took delivery at another dealer. They finally gave me a courtesy car for the weekend as it was impossible for me to rent one because of the time.

So after 15 minutes of driving my new Malibu, it is already in for repairs ! Hoping I didn't get a full time membership to the service dept with this car ! The car have also a 4yrs extended warranty.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Brossard
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu 2LT
Imperial Blue

Last evening at 8 pm, I took delivery of my 2008 Malibu with 25 000 km. Driving back at home the car suddenly started to brake by itself to a complete stop as soon I took off my foot from the gas pedal ! When I gave gas, it was like I had a 20,000 lbs trailer ! Then I eard a bell chime, the ESC ligh came on and the DIC indicated Service ESC ! I stop the car and restarted it and the ESC light disappeared and no message on DIC but the car still doing the same thing. Then after 1 mile, the bell, light and message came on again. Doing the same procedure I finally arrived at another Chevy dealer near my place but Service dept was close.

I phone my dealer and all he found to say was ''Call the GM Roadside Assistance'' knowing I was already at another dealer. Very impressive !

I called GMRA and they said that the dealer where I was will take care of me. So I went to the showroom and explained my situation to the receptionnist. They effectively took care of me like I was the most important client of this dealer knowing that I just took delivery from another Chevy dealer ! Also, because it was impossible for me to rent a car for the weekend because it was too late, they offered me a courtesy car (Cobalt) asking me to come back Monday morning.

I hope I didn't get with the Malibu a full time membership with the service department. It's a bit frustating to arrive at home with this base Cobalt after advising my wife and all neighberhood that I will have a Malibu !
Old 11-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
BillD64
CMF Senior Member

With a drive by wire throttle there are certain problems where the engine computer cannot control the throttle properly. When this happens the engine computer sends a message to the electronic brake control module that it cannot perform requested torque functions. The EBCM then shuts down stability control and traction control.

There are other problems in the ABS system that can affect the Traction Control and Stability Control. If the EBCM senses unusual wheel speeds Traction Control can be triggered for what seems to be no reason. Since the poster above mentions he bought a used car the first thing I would check is to see if the front or rear tires are the wrong size. If the front tires are the incorrect diameter in relation to the rear tires Traction Control can be triggered since the EBCM sees the fronts turning faster than they should when compared to the rears. Simple fix but maybe costly. Just buy the correct size tires.
Wheel speed sensor issues and corroded wiring connections can also trigger traction control.

Bill
BillD64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.