What does P,N,R,D,I & L mean? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
WILL I AM F117
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default What does P,N,R,D,I & L mean?

Okay here´s the thing: My 2008 2Lt Malibu has some letters on the transmission stick (I really don´t know how´s it called as I´m not an English native speaker). Well I know what does the P, N, R and D mean, and what are they used for, but I don´t know what does the I and the L stand for. I´ve already checked the Owner´s Manual, but it only includes the M for the Manual transmission. Could any of you tell me what do these letters mean? BTW I post some pics:

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
slhaas
CMF Senior Member

Gallery: 13
Default Re: What does P,N,R,D,I & L mean?

Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, 1, Low?
slhaas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Red LTZ
CMF Senior Member

I = Intermediate
L = Low.
99 Olds Intrigue
96 Honda Accord
91 Chevy Lumina
86 Pontiac Grand Am
83 Chevy Citation
82 Chevy Citation
Red LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
WILL I AM F117
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks Red LTZ!!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
HogRider
CMF Rookie Member

Park
Neutral
Reverse
Drive
1st gear
Low
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
hoahai
CMF Senior Member

Here is something more important: when you should use "I", instead of "D"? The manual has a short paragraph about it. But I am still confused. It looks like you use "I" when you need to lock it down in 2nd and 3rd gear only, and prevent it shifted forth and back to the 4th gear?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
ChevyMgr
CMF Junior Member
2010 LTZ
White Diamond

Gallery: 4

D is what you should be using 99.9% of the time while driving.

From the owners manual for a 4 speed Transmission. (Which is what is pictured above)

P (Park): This position locks the front wheels. It is the best position to use when you start the engine because the vehicle cannot move easily.

Warning: It is dangerous to get out of the vehicle if the shift lever is not fully in P (Park) with the parking brake firmly set. The vehicle can roll.

Do not leave the vehicle when the engine is running unless you have to. If you have left the engine running, the vehicle can move suddenly. You or others could be injured. To be sure the vehicle will not move, even when you are on fairly level ground, always set the parking brake and move the shift lever to P (Park). See Shifting Into Park. If you are pulling a trailer, see Towing a Trailer .

Make sure the shift lever is fully in P (Park) before starting the engine. The vehicle has an automatic transmission shift lock control system. You must fully apply the brake pedal and then press the shift lever button before you can shift from P (Park) when the ignition key is in ON/RUN. If you cannot shift out of P (Park), ease pressure on the shift lever, then push the shift lever all the way into P (Park) as you maintain brake application. Then press the shift lever button and move the shift lever into another gear. See Shifting Out of Park.

R (Reverse): Use this gear to back up.

Notice: Shifting to R (Reverse) while the vehicle is moving forward could damage the transmission. The repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Shift to R (Reverse) only after the vehicle is stopped.

To rock the vehicle back and forth to get out of snow, ice or sand without damaging the transmission, see If Your Vehicle is Stuck in Sand, Mud, Ice, or Snow.

N (Neutral): In this position, the engine does not connect with the wheels. To restart the engine when the vehicle is already moving, use N (Neutral) only. Also, use N (Neutral) when the vehicle is being towed.

Warning: Shifting into a drive gear while the engine is running at high speed is dangerous. Unless your foot is firmly on the brake pedal, the vehicle could move very rapidly. You could lose control and hit people or objects. Do not shift into a drive gear while the engine is running at high speed.

Notice: Shifting out of P (Park) or N (Neutral) with the engine running at high speed may damage the transmission. The repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Be sure the engine is not running at high speed when shifting the vehicle.

D (Drive): This position is for normal driving. It provides the best fuel economy. If you need more power for passing, and you are:

• Going less than 35 mph (56 km/h), push the accelerator pedal about halfway down.

• Going about 35 mph (56 km/h) or more, push the accelerator all the way down.

Notice: If the vehicle seems to start up rather slowly or not shift gears when you go faster, and you continue to drive the vehicle that way, you could damage the transmission. Have the vehicle serviced right away. You can drive in L2 (Low) when you are driving less than 35 mph (56 km/h) and D (Drive) for higher speeds until then.

I (Intermediate): This position is also used for normal driving. However, it reduces vehicle speed without using the brakes for slight downgrades where the vehicle would otherwise accelerate. If constant upshifting or downshifting occurs while driving up steep hills, this position can be used to prevent repetitive types of shifts. You might choose I (Intermediate) instead of D (Drive) when driving on hilly, winding roads and when towing a trailer, so that there is less shifting between gears.

L (Low): This position gives you access to 4 (Fourth), 3 (Third), 2 (Second) and 1 (First) gear ranges. This provides more engine braking but lower fuel economy than D (Drive). You can use it on very steep hills, or in deep snow or mud. If the electronic range select is put in L (Low), the transmission will not shift into lower gears until the vehicle is going slow enough.
1998 GMC Regular Cab Sierra (350)
2011 Equinox LTZ
ChevyMgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
ucantcme
Super Moderator
2012 VW Passat SE
Tungsten Silver

Gallery: 13
Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMgr View Post
D is what you should be using 99.9% of the time while driving.

From the owners manual for a 4 speed Transmission. (Which is what is pictured above)

P (Park): This position locks the front wheels. It is the best position to use when you start the engine because the vehicle cannot move easily.

Warning: It is dangerous to get out of the vehicle if the shift lever is not fully in P (Park) with the parking brake firmly set. The vehicle can roll.

Do not leave the vehicle when the engine is running unless you have to. If you have left the engine running, the vehicle can move suddenly. You or others could be injured. To be sure the vehicle will not move, even when you are on fairly level ground, always set the parking brake and move the shift lever to P (Park). See Shifting Into Park. If you are pulling a trailer, see Towing a Trailer .

Make sure the shift lever is fully in P (Park) before starting the engine. The vehicle has an automatic transmission shift lock control system. You must fully apply the brake pedal and then press the shift lever button before you can shift from P (Park) when the ignition key is in ON/RUN. If you cannot shift out of P (Park), ease pressure on the shift lever, then push the shift lever all the way into P (Park) as you maintain brake application. Then press the shift lever button and move the shift lever into another gear. See Shifting Out of Park.

R (Reverse): Use this gear to back up.

Notice: Shifting to R (Reverse) while the vehicle is moving forward could damage the transmission. The repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Shift to R (Reverse) only after the vehicle is stopped.

To rock the vehicle back and forth to get out of snow, ice or sand without damaging the transmission, see If Your Vehicle is Stuck in Sand, Mud, Ice, or Snow.

N (Neutral): In this position, the engine does not connect with the wheels. To restart the engine when the vehicle is already moving, use N (Neutral) only. Also, use N (Neutral) when the vehicle is being towed.

Warning: Shifting into a drive gear while the engine is running at high speed is dangerous. Unless your foot is firmly on the brake pedal, the vehicle could move very rapidly. You could lose control and hit people or objects. Do not shift into a drive gear while the engine is running at high speed.

Notice: Shifting out of P (Park) or N (Neutral) with the engine running at high speed may damage the transmission. The repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Be sure the engine is not running at high speed when shifting the vehicle.

D (Drive): This position is for normal driving. It provides the best fuel economy. If you need more power for passing, and you are:

• Going less than 35 mph (56 km/h), push the accelerator pedal about halfway down.

• Going about 35 mph (56 km/h) or more, push the accelerator all the way down.

Notice: If the vehicle seems to start up rather slowly or not shift gears when you go faster, and you continue to drive the vehicle that way, you could damage the transmission. Have the vehicle serviced right away. You can drive in L2 (Low) when you are driving less than 35 mph (56 km/h) and D (Drive) for higher speeds until then.

I (Intermediate): This position is also used for normal driving. However, it reduces vehicle speed without using the brakes for slight downgrades where the vehicle would otherwise accelerate. If constant upshifting or downshifting occurs while driving up steep hills, this position can be used to prevent repetitive types of shifts. You might choose I (Intermediate) instead of D (Drive) when driving on hilly, winding roads and when towing a trailer, so that there is less shifting between gears.

L (Low): This position gives you access to 4 (Fourth), 3 (Third), 2 (Second) and 1 (First) gear ranges. This provides more engine braking but lower fuel economy than D (Drive). You can use it on very steep hills, or in deep snow or mud. If the electronic range select is put in L (Low), the transmission will not shift into lower gears until the vehicle is going slow enough.
Good info right there, thanks for sharing!

*Sold* 2009 Chevrolet Malibu 1LT
Exterior: Imperial Blue Metallic
--Mods--
6000k DDM HID Lights
Chrome Grille
Chrome Handle Covers
Chrome Strip for bottom grille <-- Click to purchase!
Foglight Bezel Chrome Strips <-- Click to purchase!
"MALIBLU" Michigan License Plate
5% Limo Tint all around
Redwing vinyl decal on the rear window
Color Shifting Bowties
--Current Ride--
12' Volkswagen Passat SE Manual 2.5L I5

ucantcme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
ChevyMgr
CMF Junior Member
2010 LTZ
White Diamond

Gallery: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
Good info right there, thanks for sharing!
You're welcome.
1998 GMC Regular Cab Sierra (350)
2011 Equinox LTZ
ChevyMgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
TMoneyR523
CMF Veteran Member
2008 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite

Gallery: 14
Send a message via AIM to TMoneyR523 Send a message via Skype™ to TMoneyR523

ChevyMgr basically said it.. in my Cobalt, I used it during less than ideal conditions where I needed engine breaking or to stay in a gear.. being in Intermediate mode, it WILL shift, but it will hold the gears longer.

Obviously you should pay attention to his description of Low, but from what I noticed it only kept me in 1st gear and disabled traction control (the cobalts, for the 2006 model year, at least, didn't have a dedicated traction control button)
Built: Fairfax Assembly Centre - Kansas City, Kansas.
TMoneyR523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.