Engine life of the 2.4 vs 3.5 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
ken33
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Post Engine life of the 2.4 vs 3.5

anybody know what the engine life is on the 4 cyl in the new malibu vs the 3.5 engine in the newer impalas.....I was just waundering if the 4 cycl holds up as well as the the 3.5 6 cycls.....and how many miles you can get out of each one doing the proper oil changes....thanks

Last edited by ken33; 11-03-2009 at 05:26 PM.
ken33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
ken33
CMF Rookie Member

Default Re: Engine life of the 2.4 vs 3.5

Well does anyone have an opinion?????
Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Macleod52
CMF Senior Member

The ecotec is a very solid engine. If it can have 1000+hp on the stock block, I'd say it'll hold it's own. Having owned a 3.4, and knowing that the 3.5 is very similar, I'd opt for the ecotec. The 3.4/3.5's aren't bad engines per se, but the 3.4's are notorious for having LIM gaskets leak, and it's almost guaranteed that the 3.5 will have problems as well.

With regular oil changes (and gasket replacements on the 3.5), both engines should last well over 100-200k. I would give the ecotec the advantage though.

Capitalization & punctuation is the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse."
Macleod52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
GTPMALIBU
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu SS 2.4/4
Granite metallic

Send a message via AIM to GTPMALIBU

honestly the 4 cyl should last longer * flame suit on* given care and maintenance is done properly to both. some may say the bigger engine has less work to do, while this is true the 2.4 is a European engine, its designed to sustain high RPM and rapid ( as rapid as a 4 cyl can) starts. along with forged connecting rods and pistons from the factory. ( im not sure about the crankshaft though)
my vote is 4 the 4cyl
08 LT "SS" 2.4/4speed, Katzkin leather,E&G grills,chrome b pillars, chrome door handles, Inalfa sunroof, "lip" spoiler. 5%/20%tint, K&n filter, 2 Boston Acoustic G1 subs/1000watt Kenwood amp, EBC yellow stuff brake pads.
98 GP GTP 11.98@115

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...out_207724.htm
GTPMALIBU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
pacomutt
CMF Rookie Member

I think any opinions would be purely subjective. Unless one of these engines has a inherent design flaw or weakness, I don't think anyone could conclude that one will always outlast the other. No engines are designed to have the block crack in half, and spill its innards at some predetermined number of miles, or number of months in the future. Longevity obviously takes time to determine, however some engines have shown a determined interest to expire early, like the Oldsmobile converted Diesel V-8.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Malo83
CMF Veteran Member
08 Malibu LTZ
White

Gallery: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macleod52 View Post
The ecotec is a very solid engine. If it can have 1000+hp on the stock block, I'd say it'll hold it's own. Having owned a 3.4, and knowing that the 3.5 is very similar, I'd opt for the ecotec. The 3.4/3.5's aren't bad engines per se, but the 3.4's are notorious for having LIM gaskets leak, and it's almost guaranteed that the 3.5 will have problems as well.

With regular oil changes (and gasket replacements on the 3.5), both engines should last well over 100-200k. I would give the ecotec the advantage though.
As is stated ANY engine will outlast the car with regular maint and upkeep regardless if it's a 4,6,8 or 10 cylinder
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
mookdoc
CMF Junior Member

Cool Re: Engine life of the 2.4 vs 3.5

I agree with previous statement above this 100%

The 2.4 is about the best 4cly on the planet. Yes, it's better than most import 4cly. Cheaper,quieter,smoother,more power for the money,better mileage. Honestly I think typical crappy American driving skills and maintenance patterns this engine will do 200,000 with nothing done other than minimal oil changes! I am judging it by early owned 2.2ltr 2.8ltr gm 4cly that would not die with over 200,000 nasty miles.

Lake Orion 4-8-08
mookdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
impacted
CMF Junior Member

Both engines are 200K-300K engines with regular fluid changes. My personal thought is the 2.4 Ecotec is a much better built engine and has a higher lifespan potential, but realistically they could each do 200K+ with not much effort. The rest of the vehicle is cause for concern...
impacted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
PreachR
CMF Junior Member
2009 LTZ
Light blue

I can agree with many of the comments here.. I had many problems with the 3.4 and the leaky intake gaskets over all good motor but for that case.. I also had the GM quad 4 motor and it was a beast.. I ran that thing to 230K and except for changing a water pump that motor was running strong as the day i got it with 30K.. So I am all in favor of GM 4 bangers.. they have always served me well
PreachR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
ken33
CMF Rookie Member

Hey preachr......Yea i know alot of gm engines had leaking intake and timing covers due to the anti-freeze used in gm engines...Dex-cool...Everybody i talk to said to get it out as fast as you can and put the green back in it...the dex-cool would eat up the gaskets..I had my silverado flushed out good and put prestone green back in it to make sure..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.