Remote Start/keyless entry problems. '05 malibu - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
j894
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Remote Start/keyless entry problems. '05 malibu

Greetings all,

Yes, yet another remote start problem thread.
I've been searching around the forum and just read a lot of posts about remote start issues but can't find the info Im looking for.

Looking at getting an '05 malibu LS cheap from a friend who sells used cars, It has a factory installed remote start setup (listed in the options on the window sticker); however the the lock/unlock & remote start buttons on the key fob don't work.

The remote trunk release works sometimes when really close, as does the panic button but nothing else no matter how close to the car. There are 2 key fobs for it and they both do the same thing. The power locks work normally from the DS door. No SES light, etc. Everything else works except this.

All of the power lock and remote start options are enabled in the D.I.C.

I've heard such things as the fob module going bad/ maybe a fuse but I would imagine other things wouldn't function if it were a fuse. Has anyone heard of this specific problem? or have more ideas as to what the prob is?

Thanks in advance for any help
j894 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
j894
CMF Rookie Member

Default Re: Remote Start/keyless entry problems. '05 malibu

anyone hear of something like this?

please help
Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
AdamJH225
CMF Rookie Member

Obvious question, but have you tried replacing the batteries in the fobs? If that doesn't help, I would see about having them replaced or serviced (re-programmed). Sorry I'm not of more help.
AdamJH225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
j894
CMF Rookie Member

I replaced the battery (cr2032) in the one fob and now it stopped working. Im guessing these have to be programed somehow? (the manual just says to replace the battery, it mentions nothing of reprogramming)

The other still works with the panic button and truck release only.

I double checked the 7.5amp, Remote keyless entry fuse in the trunk and it is good.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
jhMalibu
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS

When I changed batts on our fobs, Wife's fob stopped working soon afterwards. Found that the solder points on the battery bracket came loose. I soldered them back (really easy if you've ever done any soldering).

15 mins and it was as good as new.

You shouldn't have to reprogram the fobs after a battery change.
jhMalibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
jhMalibu
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS

You shouldn't need to reprogram the fobs. One thing to check (it happened with mine when I replaced the batteries) is that the metal bracket that holds the battery broke free at the solder points. I resoldered the bracket and the fob worked.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
jhMalibu
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS

one thing to check (it happened on mine after I replaced the batteries) is the metal cage that holds the battery. The solder points on mine broke free of the circuit board. I resoldered and all was good. You shouldn't need to reprogram after battery change.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
TopMJW
CMF Rookie Member

J894 - The first time I replaced the battery in one of my FOB's I noticec that the clip that holds the battery to the ckt. board actually came loose from the board. Fortunately I have a good soldering iron and was able to tack it back down and make the connection. On my 2nd FOB I noted that the solder joint was cracked, not completely broken. Therefore when the FOB was snapped back together it made contact and worked intermittantly. By 'reheating' the cracked solder joint I got the 2nd FOB working again. These seem to be very low quality devices...for something that sells for ~$100 + programming.
TopMJW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
sublevel
CMF Junior Member

just wanted to update this thread with a question

I had a similar problem with the battery bracket being broken (looking at positive side of battery the right connector was completely out of it solder joint) I reflowed the solder and I have the same results: trunk and panic work, locks do not with the acception of holding down the unlock button and only the drive door unlocking

this is in my 2007 Malibu LT with only 32,500 miles

any sugegstion beside having a dealer look at it?
sublevel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
BuickMan38
CMF Rookie Member

I had my remotes go bad. Some of the buttons stopped working. I guess its a problem with a lot of the newer GM remotes. After a while the buttons wear down or something. If your lock button doesnt work then your remote start won't work either since you need to lock your car twice with the remote to initiate the remote start feature. I ended up fixing my remote by buying a fix for it at keylessfix.com . Still working great. By the way. If you have any check engine lights on then your remote start is also automatically disabled by the car.
BuickMan38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.