2001 ABS problems - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
CHEBBY
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default 2001 ABS problems

I have a 2001 Malibu LS with 135K miles with ABS problems. I have done some research and have found that the ABS sensors are part of the wheel bearings. The front two wheel bearings and spindles were replaced at about 90K miles.

The ABS problems started around 5K miles ago and would come on randomly while driving and you would hear them rumble for a second. It doesnt affect your driving at all besides the random noise. I put off fixing it and it slowly got worse and eventually got to the point that the light stays on all the time, but you never hear the rumble. Like this it isnt a big deal, so I left it alone because having ABS is not a must for me...just as long as I have brakes. It is now back to going on and off which alllows the rumble to randomly go on while driving. With my wife driving it I am concerned. The car isnt worth much anymore so I'm not going to put a bunch of money into it.

My question is - is there a simple and easy way to eliminate the ABS?
CHEBBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: 2001 ABS problems

Look for a fuse or relay that serves as the master power source. If you still have the cover for each fuse block (the '08 and up have 3!) then somewhere on the cover or nearby there will be a legend for the fuses in that block. You can also see if Auto Zone or some other parts store can tell you where the relay is located (if it has one for that) and that should get you closer. Short of cutting wires and really screwing up the system that's the easiest way to disable it.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
BillD64
CMF Senior Member

Do you know a mechanic that has a GM Tech 2 or other high end scan tool that can access the non-powertrain diagnostics? The simple scanners that you can get at Sears, Autoparts Stores or that most non-dealer mechanics have cannot read the codes. If you can get the codes read I can help with some diagnostic procedures. The ABS DTC codes are the following:

DTC C1214
DTC C1217
DTC C1218
DTC C1221-C1235
DTC C1236
DTC C1237
DTC C1242 or C1243
DTC C1254
DTC C1255 or C1256
DTC C1261-C1268
DTC C1295

The ABS system is not part of the base brake system but basically rides on top of the base brakes. If you have an intermittent I would suspect the problem is electrical and not associated with the wheel speed sensors although they cannot be ruled out. The first thing to do is to check the voltage and grounds at the EBCM and BPMV to make sure there are no corroded/loose connector pins or ground locations. You should also check the connectors and wiring from the wheel speed sensors to the EBCM.

When a DTC code is present the ABS shuts itself off. Since the problem seems to be intermittent probably the rumble you are hearing is the ABS system doing its self check each time the intermittent problem goes away.

Bill

Last edited by BillD64; 01-06-2010 at 01:43 PM.
BillD64 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
CHEBBY
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks for the help, guys. I will look into both let everyone know the result.
CHEBBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.