Changing oil in 1999 Malibu - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
matroe11
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Changing oil in 1999 Malibu

Hey guys. I have tried to use the search but it keeps telling me that my search term is too short and will not search no matter how many words I put in.

I have a new girlfriend who never changes or maintains her '99 Malibu. I want to change her oil and I would like to know a few things about the car before I attempt it. Any help, instructions, pics, etc would be greatly appreciated.

- How many quarts does it take?
- Are there any recommended procedures, special steps I should know about, shortcuts to make changing easier?
- I can't find the oil filter, where is it located?
- Does chevy use crush washers? What do you think is the most number of times they could be reused?
- I don't have her car with me at the moment, doing research, so are there any differences between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl?
- anything else you think I should know about?

Thanks in adavance!!!
matroe11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
dpopeck
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Silverstone

Default Re: Changing oil in 1999 Malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by matroe11 View Post
Hey guys. I have tried to use the search but it keeps telling me that my search term is too short and will not search no matter how many words I put in.

I have a new girlfriend who never changes or maintains her '99 Malibu. I want to change her oil and I would like to know a few things about the car before I attempt it. Any help, instructions, pics, etc would be greatly appreciated.

- How many quarts does it take?
- Are there any recommended procedures, special steps I should know about, shortcuts to make changing easier?
- I can't find the oil filter, where is it located? - Does chevy use crush washers? What do you think is the most number of times they could be reused?
- I don't have her car with me at the moment, doing research, so are there any differences between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl?
- anything else you think I should know about?
Thanks in adavance!!!
4 qts for the 4 cyl., and 4.5 for the 6 cyl.

Underneath the car in the front, there is a plastic cover you need to remove. There are two wingnuts in the front. Either turn those by hand or use pliers, and then lower the front of the cover down a inch and then you can pull the cover forward (towards the front of the car). The back of the cover just has tabs that fit into slots. The oil filter will then be readily visible and very easy to get at.

No crush washer. Just don't go crazy over tightening the drain bolt!

No special procedures, the 1999 and 2003 Bu's are one of the easiest cars I've ever had in terms of oil changes.
dpopeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
impactwrench
CMF Rookie Member

I use a Delco PF52 filter which is a bit bigger than a stock PF47 so I put 5 quarts of oil in my 02, 3.1L. Makes for easy oil changes, just dump in a whole 5 qt bottle.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
green03malibu
CMF Senior Member
2003 Malibu LS
Drk Green Metallic

The oil filters can be found anywhere. The V6 takes the pf47, but I don't know about the 4 cyl., it might need the pf46 if you are using the ACdelco oil filters.
Over 125,000 miles and still going strong
green03malibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Opus
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 1

I don't even bother with the wing nuts, I just pull the tabs out of the slots and let the front of the cover hang from the front. Otherwise, it's as easy as everyone has said.

2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Sedan
2002 Dodge Dakota SXT Club Cab
1999 Chevy Malibu LS
1994 Ford Ranger XLT (RIP Dad)
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
ElantraMax
CMF Veteran Member

Best advice I can give. Get a Haynes Manual. It will Help with many repairs.
ElantraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.