Factory Anti Theft System - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3
Default Re: Factory Anti Theft System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The Insurance Company.
Goes to show how much they know. What in the world gave them the idea that like an eleven digit number tells them everything about the car is laughable.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Richard
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship View Post
Well, the copy of the build sheet I was given listed as standard:

Theft-Deterrent Alarm System: content theft alarm
Theft-Deterrent System: vehicle, PASS-Key III Plus

The window sticker would have to be three pages long to list all standard features in small point. I am not defending any entity, just stating the obvious.
I didn't get a build sheet with my car. All I got was the Window Sticker. And they certainly could have fit this on the window sticker. They print every single incidental standard feature on the Window Sticker and an alarm system is important enough to list - especially for insurance purposes. And not all cars come with the Content Theft Alarm standard. My last car was a Cadillac CTS and it did not have the Content Theft Alarm. It was an extra on that car.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Richard
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ View Post
Goes to show how much they know. What in the world gave them the idea that like an eleven digit number tells them everything about the car is laughable.
Actually, they got all the other deductible items straight from the VIN # such as:

DRL
Antilock Brakes
Passive Supplemental Restraint System
Onstar Stolen Vehicle Tracking
Traction Control & Stabilitrak
5 Star Crash Rating

The only thing that was not listed was the Pass Key / Content Alarm System.

That's why they asked for the window sticker. They thought it was listed on that document, but it wasn't.

Last edited by Richard; 04-29-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3

Quote:
Actually, they got all the other deductible items straight from the VIN # such as:

DRL
Antilock Brakes
Passive Supplemental Restraint System
Onstar Stolen Vehicle Tracking
Traction Control & Stabilitrak
5 Star Crash Rating

The only thing that was not listed was the Pass Key / Content Alarm System.

That's why they asked for the window sticker. They thought it was listed on that document, but it wasn't.
They may have told you that, but it is BS. A VIN doesn't tell you the crash test rating or most of that stuff. They just had it is their database. Don't believe half of what they tell you.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Either your insurance company's database is incomplete or your agent is being lazy. It's their job to know what's standard on each model and trim level. You must be getting a pretty good deal on your insurance to be putting up with such nonsense.

I got the build sheet because I bought my Malibu sight unseen (it was being built). If you are not squeamish about giving out your VIN, there's someone on http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums who can pull you up a build sheet and even dealer service history.
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
Richard
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship View Post
Either your insurance company's database is incomplete or your agent is being lazy. It's their job to know what's standard on each model and trim level. You must be getting a pretty good deal on your insurance to be putting up with such nonsense.

I got the build sheet because I bought my Malibu sight unseen (it was being built). If you are not squeamish about giving out your VIN, there's someone on http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums who can pull you up a build sheet and even dealer service history.
I told them that I would make a copy of the description of the Content Theft Alarm from the owner's manual and they said it wasn't good enough. It may not be a standard item. They wanted a written confirmation from the dealer. I eventually talked them into getting an oral confirmation from the dealer. With the cost of insurance, it's important to get every discount that's available.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
troykillman
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Imperial Blue

I almost want to say that all chevy models that have keyless entry have a content theft deterrent system. The only reason I say this, is because I had a 2006 Cobalt 1LT, which had one, then I had a 2007 HHR 1LT that had one, and my 2009 Malibu 1LT which has one, and every chevy I looked at had an alarm system.. I am asking my dealer tomorrow when I go in for service. It is nice to have all of the available security features though isnt it? It gives me a little peace of mind :-)

Quote:
The type of anti-theft system I'm referring to is what GM calls the "Content Theft Deterrent System". That's basically an Alarm System where if the car is broken into, an alarm goes off (the horn honks). My car has this feature. That's what the insurance company was interested in. This was not listed in the Car's VIN or on the Window Sticker.

I asked if this system is standard on the LS or LT1, because maybe the insurance company is getting the standard equipment from those models.
The Owner's Manual states that your car "may" have a content theft deterrent system. That leads me to believe that it's not standard across all models.

The way you know if your car has this feature is if you lock the doors with the remote key fob, the security light on the dash will illuminate, then flash once every 3 seconds. The system arms in 30 seconds if you hit the key fob once. If you hit it twice, it arms immediately.
troykillman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #18
Richard
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykillman View Post
I almost want to say that all chevy models that have keyless entry have a content theft deterrent system. The only reason I say this, is because I had a 2006 Cobalt 1LT, which had one, then I had a 2007 HHR 1LT that had one, and my 2009 Malibu 1LT which has one, and every chevy I looked at had an alarm system.. I am asking my dealer tomorrow when I go in for service. It is nice to have all of the available security features though isnt it? It gives me a little peace of mind :-)
I had a Cadillac CTS and the Content Theft Deterrent System was not standard. It was an extra. It's amazing that it's standard on a Chevy and it wasn't standard on a Caddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.