Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3
Default Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Since we keep getting multiple threads on this topic, thought it would be best to make a sticky so we can get all information in one place. So any of the "common" steering/front suspension issues you may have should be discussed in here.

These issues can be front end clunks, rattles, odd noises, weird steering sensations etc.

For reference, here is the old thread on the topic.
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=1748

Last edited by Silver LTZ; 05-06-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Silver LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Default Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

My story on this is the following. Never had any front end issues, but I did have some steering issues just like my old G6 GTP did. I wasn't getting any bad rattles and noises, but the steering felt "odd" when steering at low speeds. They ended up replacing the intermediate shaft, which in my case did nothing. Then they replaced the whole steering rack which stopped the issues.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Gallery: 0

My contribution from another thread:

TSB 06-02-32-007F ("Clunk, Knock or Rattle Noise From Front of Vehicle ...") now covers Malibu, G6, and Aura upto 2010 MY. Click http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3338 and then scroll down to the post by 06G6GTMD.
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
dandaco
CMF Junior Member

2008 Malibu 2LT V6 front end clunking:

1. My rack was replaced,
2. Right strut was replaced then old one put back
3. Strut bumpers were glued
4. Right strut boot was modified/shortened

I thought the clunking/knocking was all gone...... but it is still there on washboard roads. Dealer has been great trying to resolve the issue so I'm almost embarrassed to go back another time. Anyone have a contact at GM where I can send a "letter of concern"?
dandaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
Bedbug
CMF Senior Member
2010 Malibu LTZ
Diamond White

Guys :
I just had my car in for service, one of my issues was vibration in steering wheel when I back up at low speed.

I also complained, about roof rattle, hard shifting, smelly fumes out of AC, chips on my bumper, and brakes grinding at high speed. I took info from this site and alldata.com and gave them TSB's on every complaint. The service writer say that was a big help.

Fixes :

Vibration and hard shifting is gone, they did a reprogramming on transmition better responce from pedal and smooth shifting.

Roof Rattle -- Gone - took down headliner,added foam between sun roof and overhead console.

Chips on bumper -- They touched it up, and gave me a touch up pen (no charge).

Smelly fumes from ac to outside air -- they change cabin filter with HEPA filter. ( havent tested this yet).

Brakes-- resurfaced front rotors and replaced pads with Dura-last pads. So far so good. -- They told me to keep an eye on this if it still happens bring it back.

They also did a ECM -reprogramming and changed my oil they did not use bulk oil as I requested.

And they owe me a car wash -- So far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ View Post
Since we keep getting multiple threads on this topic, thought it would be best to make a sticky so we can get all information in one place. So any of the "common" steering/front suspension issues you may have should be discussed in here.

These issues can be front end clunks, rattles, odd noises, weird steering sensations etc.

For reference, here is the old thread on the topic.
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=1748
Old 05-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedbug View Post

Smelly fumes from ac to outside air -- they change cabin filter with HEPA filter. ( havent tested this yet).
Humm, I thought our cars did not have a cabin filter?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Brossard
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu 2LT
Imperial Blue

I have also the clunk noise in front when going at low speed on small bump/joint and it's worse on non paved road. They replaced both front struts and the clunk disappeared for only 30 miles then the noise was back as before. For now, I just increase the volume of the radio to stop earing the clunk/noise as I felt nothing on the steering. My dealer told me it's not dangerous and it's like I'm the only Bu owner complaining about it.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Bedbug
CMF Senior Member
2010 Malibu LTZ
Diamond White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ View Post
Humm, I thought our cars did not have a cabin filter?
I thought so too -- I think they BS'ed me on that one. But im not going to complain yet -- so far car is running fine. But I will bring that up to service manager the next time I go.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedbug View Post
I thought so too -- I think they BS'ed me on that one. But im not going to complain yet -- so far car is running fine. But I will bring that up to service manager the next time I go.
Yeah, we don't have a cabin filter according to all the websites I have checked....
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
cldouglass
CMF Junior Member

Took my 2008 LTZ into the shop for a clunk in the right front. They kept the car overnight and called me the next day with the news, turns out that they are going to be replacing the entire rack and pinion in hopes to remedy the issue. Also said they had a service bulletin on this as well and so they greased something in the right wheel area (he told me but I forget right this minute). Service Manager said it could take up to 3 weeks or more to get the rack in but it would be safe to drive. On the way home, the whole front end seemed to be much tighter and there were no clunks. I have been driving it for the past week now and everything seems better. I will post again after they replace the rack and let you know how it goes.
cldouglass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.