2009 Malibu Issue with Transmission Shifting, Door Locks, Engine choking - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
Alfisto Steve
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel

Gallery: 0
Default 2009 Malibu Issue with Transmission Shifting, Door Locks, Engine choking

Our 2.5L 4 cylinder with 6-sp A/T has developed an issue where especially when starting off driving from the after work hot sunny parking lot scene my wife finds car will not shift correctly, engine chokes, door locks cycle. When you press accelerator engine seems to rev but car won't go like tranny slipping or won't upshift.

I was driving it the other day with her in car and I turn out onto highway from side street and all of a sudden it stopped going during take off acceleration and I thought I was going to be rear ended in traffic.

Anybody having similiar issues?

Is this Service Bulletin SB-08279 installation of jumper wires/electrical diodes a possible fix? I wonder if a cooling fan power surge issue causing this since they have it cross referenced in cooling, transmission and electrical systems?

Does this forum have links to complete file and texts of these service bulletins?

Component Description:
19. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM:FAN Bulletin Number: SB-08279
Bulletin Date: Oct 2008

Vehicle: 2,009 Chevrolet Malibu
Summary:
GENERAL MOTORS: ON SOME OF THESE VEHICLES, TRANSIENT VOLTAGE SURGES FROM THE ENGINE COOLING FANS MAY BE TRANSMITTED THROUGH THE ENGINE WIRING HARNESS. THIS BULLETIN PROVIDES SERVICE PROCEDURE TO INSTALL TWO JUMPER HARNESSES WITH DIODES ON C ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10028491 )

Component Description:
20. POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION Bulletin Number: SB-08279

Summary:
GENERAL MOTORS: ON SOME OF THESE VEHICLES, TRANSIENT VOLTAGE SURGES FROM THE ENGINE COOLING FANS MAY BE TRANSMITTED THROUGH THE ENGINE WIRING HARNESS. THIS BULLETIN PROVIDES SERVICE PROCEDURE TO INSTALL TWO JUMPER HARNESSES WITH DIODES ON C ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10028491 )

Component Description:
21. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING Bulletin Number: SB-08279

Summary:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 05-18-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Alfisto Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3
Default Re: 2009 Malibu Issue with Transmission Shifting, Door Locks, Engine choking

It is a 2009, I assume less then 36K? Why not bring it in? Seems like it is more then one issue, I would have the dealer look at it and document it.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
malibudragon
CMF Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to malibudragon
Default Re: 2009 Malibu Issue with Transmission Shifting, Door Locks, Engine choking

Mine (v6) when I first got it started acting up and it would not shift out of first gear regardless if you were in auto or manumatic mode, The paddle shifters did not doing anything. They ended up replacing a faulty battery and computer and I haven't had a problem since.. I would get it to the dealer asap.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Alfisto Steve
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel

We will be taking it in to dealer soon.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Alfisto Steve
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel

Well, wife was forced to take car to dealer or should I say have car towed to dealer in Kitty Hawk, NC last week while on a trip to outer banks.

Car would not start, did the door lock trick, etc after being parked in the hot sun at an art show.

We got it back yesterday. Hope issue resolved as all they did was pull codes and nothing on list means much of anything so they basically removed connectors to ECUs and lubed with dielectric grease.

So far so good but temp only 80 today after the near 100 temps we had last week.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Alfisto Steve
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel

Well this deal not done yet. Car went crazy again in Asheville, NC this weekend at the Biltmore. Door locks cycling, tranny going crazy, dash light going out, Electronic Stability Control failure light and anti theft light on.

We manage to get it to hotel and once in the shade and cooled down I WAS able to reset by using key fob to lock doors and unlock then all appeared normal.

Wife managed to drive car back to beach by not shutting off engine but had no reverse at one stop.

She took it to our local dealer AGAIN under it's own power this time got the service writer to ride with her and lucky for us car went crazy with him in the car this time.

We are to pick up car tomorrow as this dealer's mech had it go crazy for him and supposedly then found a broken wire at tranny ECU.

Now was that still from original fault not being found before by other dealer in NC or did they damage wiring when they supposedly disconnected connectors, cleaned them and lubed with dielectic grease.

Since door locks close when tranny put in gear and I guess ESC system interconnected with tranny ECU maybe just maybe they really fixed car this time.

I sure hope so as my wife pretty stressed out over this issue. AND I want my Alfa Romeo back. I am driving my truck now and she has my Alfa.

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 07-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Alfisto Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #7
Alfisto Steve
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel

So far so far knock on wood, etc.... Car seems to be back to it's original working good self.

Mechanic's sign off on work order states he "found black-white wire 451 TCM [transmission control module] ground circuit intermittingly going open. Ran new wire from TCM connector to ground G107."
Old 07-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
So far so far knock on wood, etc.... Car seems to be back to it's original working good self.

Mechanic's sign off on work order states he "found black-white wire 451 TCM [transmission control module] ground circuit intermittingly going open. Ran new wire from TCM connector to ground G107."
Glad to hear shes all fixed.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
ChicagoMalibu2009
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu LS
Blue Met./Titanium

Gallery: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post

Good news -- A car our age should be reliable and grounding is one thing that is vaguely excusable or at least understandable.

Glad they found the culprit and hope that it truly is the issue.

2.4L 4cyl. ECOTEC LE5
Ext: Transition Blue Met./Golden Pewter Met.
Int: Titanium, Weathertech Mats, Neoprene Covers
Stock Rims/Tires Uncovered (Summer = Borbet Type LS)
EBC Slotted Rotors w/ Redstuff Pads
Full Mud Guards - Clear Door Edging - 35% Sides
Hardwired Radar and GPS Charger - LED's - ScanGauge II
At Bat: PTM Chevy Emblems, Black Calipers
On Deck: Silverstar All Around w/ PIAA Fogs
In the Hole: Undercoating
Wearing: Collinite(incl. Wheels), ARO, Aquapel, Plexus
ChicagoMalibu2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Alfisto Steve
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel

Successful 650 mile road trip today as my bride drove it to JAX, FL in less than 10 hours so she was flying low and made only two pit stops. All but about 90 miles are on I-95 super slab.

She said not much car traffic just lot of trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.