Brake lights won't turn off and Cruise won't work - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
singleslammer
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Brake lights won't turn off and Cruise won't work

So my wife's 08 Malibu (new body) has started acting weird lately. A couple of times, when driving home from work, the cruise has stopped working and the brake lights will go on when she is not braking, co-worker following her. I found a TSB for the previous gen with the same symptoms posted on this website, link below, but I can't figure out which connector that it is talking about and can't find any corrosion on any of the connectors on the ECU, didn't pull main connector because it was screwed down and didn't have any tools with me. Any thoughts? The car has 53K miles on it so I don't know if it is still under warranty. Thanks, Jordan

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=2401
singleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
elcompaLalo
CMF Veteran Member
2008 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 5
Default Re: Brake lights won't turn off and Cruise won't work

I don't think they will cover that under warranty. Print out that info on that TSB and see if they are willing to help you out. Doesn't sound like there is much work involved and a tech would def be familiar with the location of that "problem-ed" connection.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I'm sure you know that the cruise control sees the brake lights turning on and that's what's killing the CC. The TSB article sounds like something you can check for in your driveway, and even perform it yourself.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Brossard
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu 2LT
Imperial Blue

I had a similar problem in the past with my 08 Bu where my brake was on without any intervention from my part. This is probably why the cruise stop working at the same time. The problem was at the electric pedals combine with the telescoping steering. At some positions, there was an interference between both mechanism. If I remember, there is a TSB on this problem and the solution is to install somewhere 2 small metal washer to add space in the electric pedal mechanism to prevent interference with the steering shaft. The other solution is to play with the telescoping steering and\or electric pedals.

I'm not sure but in my case, the problem came on when the pedals was at the lowest position and the steering wheel completely inside and tilted down so ask someone to stand behind the car and play with the electric pedals and the steering wheels (tilt and telescope) to see if the brake lights come on at different positions.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
singleslammer
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try the adjustment of the steering wheel and pedals. Also, I tried the sixth gen TSB, in original post, and couldn't find anything that looked even slightly corroded.
singleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
BillD64
CMF Senior Member

This happened to my 08 a couple of days after we took delivery. The dealer had to replace the brake switch and reprogram it.

Bill
BillD64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
tvnvideoman
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu 2LT

I had this issue for over a year; it took a GM engineer to tell the dealership to replace the EBCM. That is the only thing that fixed my car. (They tried the washer, steering wheel, brake 'fixes')
tvnvideoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
cozumel2011
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS
Maroon

I have had my 2005 to the dealership 8 times! They cant seem to fix the problem. They have greased the connectors, put in a new BCM, put in a new brake sensor. Im at my wits end! I have called GM and complained, what a joke! They have a manager call me and all they say is we understand your frustration....really? I dont think they do, they are not driving my car! I have an appointment to take it in for the 9th time next Monday. This has been going on for nearly 2 years and every time I make the payment on the car I just want to throw up! If anyone comes up with any further solutions I would like to hear them!
cozumel2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumel2011 View Post
If anyone comes up with any further solutions I would like to hear them!
Have you considered going to a different dealer ??
Any GM dealer would probably do.

If you do that, make sure they know the history in detail and up front.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
cozumel2011
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS
Maroon

yes I have considered it, but then I pay all over again. I have $1000 wrapped up in this dealership now and they havent fixed a thing! Im afraid of getting the same thing at the next place.
cozumel2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.